Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
A former NFL head coach as a college analyst ? Is this real life ? My god.

It would seeem Mario is taking a page out of Saban's book. When the BOD is talking about spending alot more money on the football program and coaches salaries, it seems most posters are only considering the coordinators and on field coaches. But it looks like we are going to spend alot more on support staff as well. Necessary in CFB today IMHO.

Advertisement
Has chud ever ran an uptempo spread offense? What's his philosophy? I got a bad taste in my mouth watching his last offense in 2017 with Indy, it was a disaster. I get it Brissett was a terrible QB but that was the worst offense in the NFL.

Yeah, I just think that making too much out of one year is...a problem. That was the year that Luck got hurt early and missed the whole season. It's not like the Colts intended for Brissett to be the starter, they traded for him after the season started.

I believe that the BC offense is Cignetti's right now, but what I'm saying is that Chud has familiarity with the current college game, not that he has current experience doing so. Jurkovec got hurt last year, so I'm not sure how much BC suffered from QB talent differential or different styles of play, but I do know that Chud likes to use speed and he is not tied in to one particular approach to the exclusion of everything else.

Again, I think that @Cribby has hit on it, if Chud is not interested in calling the plays or recruiting or building back up to one of his former job titles, that is fine. I just think it is funny to observe this board at times. Like last year, when we hired a former head coach to be a defensive analyst, everyone talked up how he would be the de facto DC (though Manny had the job title). Now we are hiring a guy to be analyst, who has all of the qualifications to be a coordinator or HC, and some people freak out at even the rumor that he could be the OC.

It's all good, I trust Mario to put a staff together. He produced some solid "coaching tree" guys at FIU, and we'll see how the Oregon coaching tree turns out here soon.

Why would chud be an excellent analyst hire?? I would think you hire innovative O minds and nothingggg about chud seems modern/creative. If he wasnt a cane would we even sniff that guy??
Bruh… dude is a former head coach, in the NFL! Are u serious? No matter what we think of him as an OC, or his offensive system. Having a former NFL HC at your disposal… even one that wasn’t that successful as an NFL HC, as an analyst…is gold. And he’s like the BFF of our HC. So he won’t feel pressure to be a **** “yes man”. He’ll tell him the truth that others may be afraid to say to the head coach.

Advertisement

Hilarious. Guys acting like an analyst has to have his own offensive philosophy and playbook to do the job.

Go back to last year. We hired Shoop as an analyst, and a bunch of people were pumped up because he was a former DC. Meanwhile, you talk to the players, and they said one of his primary functions was film work and prep.

Chud will help us scout opposing defenses and suggest plays that exploit weaknesses. He doesn't have to be "exciting".

Hilarious. Guys acting like an analyst has to have his own offensive philosophy and playbook to do the job.

Go back to last year. We hired Shoop as an analyst, and a bunch of people were pumped up because he was a former DC. Meanwhile, you talk to the players, and they said one of his primary functions was film work and prep.

Chud will help us scout opposing defenses and suggest plays that exploit weaknesses. He doesn't have to be "exciting".
The more smart football people you surround yourself with the better. There’s a reason Alabama has a laundry list of analysts running around campus.

We'd be stupid to turn down Chud as an analyst...

The best thing about the Mario hire is the money going not simply to on field staff but analysts as well.

If you want to beat Bama, you need the best game planning and scouting.

Advertisement
Someone posted the run to pass ratio in 2019 when Herbert was the QB. It was 53% run to 47% pass. So no this isn't just about Anthony Brown if those numbers are true. And beyond the ratio the pass game was conservative as well. Mario had the most talented passer he might very well ever coach and he still wanted to run the ball alot. The hope is that will change when we are clearly an offense not built for that at the moment.

2019: 12-2 w/ conf championship and Rose Bowl win

9 of those games they won by double digits which could skew the stats a bit if they are trying to run the clock out late in garbage time. I'm sure there are some advanced stats out there that could break it down but it would be a curious case study. Not saying they were pass heavy or anything like that but it might be more balanced than what the % say.

We'll see who he hires but Mario seems like the type that will let the OC run their offense. It would be a major red flag if we aren't airing it out next year taking advantage of what we have on the roster and the major pieces we can recruit going forward.

Now this is something that speak volumes….I haven’t dug deep in all the potential candidates background coaching history, but when reading up on defenses and schemes, one name that always intrigued me has been Vic Fangio. Would LOVE to get someone from his coaching tree. Now that you mention Mason has coached under him (although it’s been years) and hopefully still has a close contact to discuss schemes. That would be major! Brandon Staley, former Rams DC and now Chargers HC credits Vic for his success, and studied him from his Community College coordinating days.

I also have a best friend of mine that played for Vic, Rex, Bowles……and said that Vic is the smartest football brain he’s ever been around. Said his in-game adjustments on the fly are bar-none. Which says a lot if assistants under him can possess that quality.

Because a big thing in football is being able to adjust on the fly. Which I feel like was one of Manny’s biggest failures (although there’s countless, but we won’t dive into that). We often heard too much from him that “Well they did something totally different from what we’ve seen on film” smh I’m getting mad just from typing that s**t. Of course if you advertise that to be an issue, every team will look to confuse yo dumb a** each week because you broadcasted it and didn’t adjust in time to make it count.

Needless to say, if Mason has learned under Vic and obtained that ability to adjust and create multiple looks week-in-and-week-out then he’ll a home run without a doubt. Based on my knowledge of Vic and hearing how multiple Mason has been in the past, it gives definite hope that we’ll be a defense that lines up in a MINT Front (4i-0-4i) one week, then 3-3-5 the next week, and 4-2-5 the next, even the 5-1 and two deep safeties that’s changing the league a bit. Or all within the same game of course, and all based on the tendencies that cause issues for opponents where the coaches now have more to try and teach their offense to counter. We have to remember these are college kids who minds are still developing and they have other responsibilities (school) so overloading them within one weeks time is a lot for a coach to try and do. So most coaches live with the fact that they can’t teach their O-Line every blitz package possible.

Let’s just hope that this thought of mine is actually true lol I guess we’ll see.

One MAJOR question for @Cribby, if it is indeed Mason, how likely would he be able to pull Jones away from his verbal commitment to Auburn and instead sign with UM. I’m not sure he has actually signed anything yet, right? Or even get M’ba to use his one-time transfer option to leave and come to Miami?

Jones got a bag to stay home so I’m not sure either situation changes if Masons the choice at dc. That’s just my opinion but I would think it’s unlikely.

Advertisement
You guys are funny. The stat was from 2019. Herbert was the QB. By the way no one is saying Mario can't change but his run first philosophy goes beyond Anthony Brown and using him as some ace in the hole is silly.

In 2019 they ran the ball 53% of the time compared to 47% pass it ends equating to 36 runs per game vs 31 passes per game. The ran a balanced offense with Herbert but nowhere near ground and pound.

Lol. We are coming from having Patke as an on field coach (coaching 2 units no less). Love that we are going to close the gap with the other big programs and start investing in the off field support. Having bright minds like Chud in those roles is a very good thing for our program.

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back