Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
It’s safe to say Mario has quite the Rolodex of coaching connections with all the names we’ve heard

Blows Manny out of the water

Not even a worthwhile comparison considering one has been a HC at 2 different places, along with having financial backing...and we're the first stop for the other along with a smaller budget.

Not even a worthwhile comparison considering one has been a HC at 2 different places, along with having financial backing...and we're the first stop for the other along with a smaller budget.
def this. the only thing I will say is we prolly be too far off in terms of salary for the OC hire now as we were with Manny. the diff being well have more available and can get better quality assistants throughout (no more green faces in on field positions). the OC hire will be interesting though.

Advertisement
IMO, I've always felt Field - as a coach of a position - is a bit of a wasted spot. Good recruiter...but feel he'd be best in the off-field role. To be fair, I think Field would even be more of an asset if he had the time to focus on strictly the off-field stuff instead of also working as a position coach.
The TE coaching spot is usually a throw away spot that you can put a really good recruiter in. The TEs can work with the WR coach on catching and the OL coach on blocking. That's why Coley is the TE coach at Texas A&M and not his normal QB spot.

We have no out on this one. I’m going to be forced to double down and continue the Brewster gif series regardless.

You know, I respect the fact that lots of people have opinions on who we should hire. And I have no problems with Mario pursuing lots of leads.

But I think there are a few guys who are just too wacky to be good fits at Miami.

Mullet and Brewster and Hova are at the top of the Wack Pack...Brian Kelly too, once LSU fires him soon...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Don't understand the love affair here. We are going to have plenty of recruiters on staff. Seider's name gets mentioned a zillion times around here whenever their is a position opening and is never hired. He's the Kevin Patrick of offensive position coaches. He's also literally never coached TE's!!!
You can never have enough recruiters on staff. Tim Brewster is old and washed

It’s safe to say Mario has quite the Rolodex of coaching connections with all the names we’ve heard

Blows Manny out of the water
This is literally the only thing I'm taking from any of this. My guess is we don't know much about who he's talking to seriously other than the guys already rumored to have accepted (Mirabal, McClendon, T-Rob staying).

Advertisement
“Just wanted to pass along a name to know at tight end coach as Mario Cristobal looks to build out his staff…

I’m told that Cristobal and Tim Brewster, who has been at Florida the past two years, have had some conversations over the past week.

I have reason to believe Brewster is highly interested in the job.

Brewster is regarded as one of the top tight end coaches in the country with his proven track record of developing elite players and he is also considered a high level recruiter.

At Florida, Brewster developed and coached Mackey Award winner Kyle Pitts into an elite weapon for the UF attack. He also coached Mackey Award winner Nick O’Leary at Florida State in 2014. Brewster spent time at the NFL level, as well, helping develop All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates at the San Diego Chargers.

Brewster has also coached at North Carolina (twice), Texas, Mississippi State, and Texas A&M. He was the head coach at the University of Minnesota from 2007-10.

As a recruiter, Brewster’s biggest win was bringing running back Dalvin Cook from Miami Central to Florida State in the 2014 cycle.

As a tight ends coach at Florida, Brewster was paid $496K in 2021.”
F03D85C0-DBDF-496D-AA34-540B2B1AAFB1.gif

You know, I respect the fact that lots of people have opinions on who we should hire. And I have no problems with Mario pursuing lots of leads.

But I think there are a few guys who are just too wacky to be good fits at Miami.

Mullet and Brewster and Hova are at the top of the Wack Pack...Brian Kelly too, once LSU fires him soon...
Hova is a 100% no go. Mullet is the weirdest. Brewster is more likable.

Right. HIS DAD whose staff he was on. There's no way he didn't know. Don't care what they found him guilty of.
He's always defended Art and stands by the fact that they never did anything wrong. Putting that in context with all of the slimier things he's allegedly said makes it hard to think he's completely innocent.

I don't mind bending the rules and doing what it takes to win in most cases. Rape is one of the most heinous things a person can do, and taking a guy associated with the toxicity of Baylor's scandal--who at best contributed, perpetuated, turned a blind eye to, or otherwise condoned that culture and the things that happened is not a line worth crossing when we have the money to hire others. Briles makes freeze look like a saint imo.

I know I'm going to get negged or whatever, I just don't see how we can justify it and avoid the media jumping all over it so that I have to sit there and explain to my wife why this guy from Baylor is okay...
I just don’t get why people keep bringing this up if plenty of schools are willing to hire him..again he’s never been found remotely guilty.

You probably wanted Avantae kicked out too right?

At the end of the day, who are we to Continuously judge this if he’s been cleared by everyone?

Advertisement
You do realize the guy has been employed by two other institutions for about 5 years since then, right?!?! I mean the media bias towards Miami in a negative light is quite obvious to most as is, I think for them to jump on Briles if he would come to Miami would completely expose them to even those who support their crap.
On a different note, the man had no charges or anything stuck to him from the scandal. He was given due process and came out clean. Let it go.
The media bias is already obvious with the complaints about us paying Mario even though other teams are spending way more. Or look at the NCAA going at us for a team-wide NIL deal even though other teams with similar deals aren't looked at at all. Plus local media are always happy to dunk on us when they can, much more than other teams' local coverage. Plenty of articles were run against FSU when he was there too.

Either way, just because he wasn't found guilty of anything doesn't mean he didn't do anything. OJ didn't do it either right? Re-read my first paragraph. I don't care if he was 'innocent': he was on staff and it's literally his dad that got in trouble. No way in **** he didn't know or do something. Either way, he contributed to that culture enough that I'd prefer we find someone else.

I just don’t get why people keep bringing this up if plenty of schools are willing to hire him..again he’s never been found remotely guilty.

You probably wanted Avantae kicked out too right?

At the end of the day, who are we to Continuously judge this if he’s been cleared by everyone?

Who is "everyone" and how have they "cleared" him?

As with Kiffin, I can respect that a person has some amazing coaching abilities, which can be paired with a problematic personality. I have no idea whether Briles has matured or not, but let's try to use some precise language. He wasn't "cleared by everyone". If schools want to hire him given his background, that is their prerogative. If more recent coaches judge Briles to be a "changed man", that is up to them.

I trust that Mario's strong character and personality will either create some guardrails for Briles, or else Briles will be moving on in a year. Either way, this is Mario's call, and I hope he gets it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back