Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
A team is more than it's QB. Mario said it was a young team. Who was his receivers? Y'all acting like he had Bama receivers.

This is just goal post shifting.

The team had enough talent to have a Top 5 defense that year, but in an offensive era, not enough to field a Top 10 offense with Herbert?

And what’s the explanation for the decline as Mario’s talent took over?

It’s fine I guess to say the offense just wasn’t good, and you needed an elite Herbert to carry it to even that level. I don’t buy it, as the scheme was ****. But okay.

But you’re still left with the issue that it’s only gotten worse since then as Mario’s players have taken over. He hasn’t recruited a QB capable of beating out Brown. Which is insane.

Advertisement
This is just goal post shifting.

The team had enough talent to have a Top 5 defense that year, but in an offensive era, not enough to field a Top 10 offense with Herbert?

And what’s the explanation for the decline as Mario’s talent took over?

It’s fine I guess to say the offense just wasn’t good, and you needed an elite Herbert to carry it to even that level. I don’t buy it, as the scheme was ****. But okay.

But you’re still left with the issue that it’s only gotten worse since then as Mario’s players have taken over. He hasn’t recruited a QB capable of beating out Brown. Which is insane.
Look who is talking about goal post moving. The discussion is about the Herbert lead team my guy. 12-2 yeah big failure 🙄.
I watch Herbert in the NFL in my opinion he is not always consistent. Bama has lost 2 games in a season with elite QB play and a stacked team.

That Oregon team had a truly great defense, holding 8 of 14 teams under 15 points.

With a talent like Herbert under center, they should have run through that schedule.
It was what... ...his second full year as head coach?
Expecting him to go undefeated is a good high standard I suppose but he lost to a solid Auburn team that also beat Bama that year.

Advertisement
I admit to knowing very little regarding schemes / playcalling etc. and don't watch very much CFB outside of the Canes. But I found the following interesting for what it's worth:

TeamPTS / GMPass Att / GMPass YDS / GmRush ATT / GMRush YDS / GMTotal Plays / GMTotal YDS / GM
Tennessee / Golesh39.328.8257.244.4217.573.2474.6
Notre Dame / Rees35.234.8282.534.6143.369.4425.8
Miami / Lashlee34.138.7321.234.3128.872.9449.9
Ole Miss / Kiffin33.732.8274.445.421878.2492.4
Oregon / Moorehead31.429.4221.938.2201.767.6423.6
Arkansas / Briles30.924.2213.944.9228.569.9442.5

Some of the most "desired" names that have been bandied around here (Golesh, Briles, and Kiffin as HC) run offenses that are far more run-oriented based on plays / gm whereas the newest rumored name, Rees is far more balanced.

Obviously, this is without any context but the fact that Golesh run 16 more times / gm than pass and Briles runs more than 20 times more / gm than pass was eye-opening for me.

Source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2021-team-offense.html

FWIW
Good info.

Would be interesting to know how many plays were runs by mobile QBs like Corral, Brown, or the QBs at Tennessee and Arkansas.

Look who is talking about goal post moving. The discussion is about the Herbert lead team my guy. 12-2 yeah big failure 🙄.
I watch Herbert in the NFL in my opinion he is not always consistent. Bama has lost 2 games in a season with elite QB play and a stacked team.

So for Mario’s ideal offense to work, all we need is a QB who is already always consistent by NFL standards. Well ****, I’m excited! Bring on Rees!

247 saying Mario pursuing Rees. He’s young and could work well with TVD, but if he turned down Kelly and LSU, it will be tough to get him to leave Notre Dame. I’d like to see him as a Cane. Thoughts?

That Oregon team had a truly great defense, holding 8 of 14 teams under 15 points.

With a talent like Herbert under center, they should have run through that schedule.

Yep. It’s cool excuse to argue they lost on a fluke play at the last second to Auburn.

But that play shouldn’t have mattered, because they shouldn’t have scored so few points against Auburn.

The ****** offense scheme kept that game close, and put Auburn in that position to win it at the end.

Advertisement
Addae. My guess.
An eye for an eye!
9A6CC386-BF64-4710-AE03-BEA2A1A76547.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Being physical, having an attitude running the ball and keeping balance is not going to handcuff our QB. It will make him fresher and better and not have to play hero late in games every week.
3rd & 2 with our o-line - you passing or running? If you're trying to establish a physical mindset you pound it in there (and probably punt). Don't tell me "having an attitude running the ball" can't handcuff TVD - CLEARLY our best weapon on offense.
- aggregate what I've said on the whole. Not against establishing the LOS. Did say it will TAKE TIME (years likely) to DEVELOP a physical football team. Would be a shame, and a frustrating watch if TVD's talents weren't MAXIMIZED next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back