Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am intrigued by Whipple but ......

View attachment 174351

LOL bro I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

And I’m with u…like I wish I cared about another team and THEY could hire Whipple cause there is a lot here that has my attention.

But to tell me you unlocked Scrooge McDuck’s vault only to show me Spencer Whipple hiding in it would be REALLY ******* underwhelming.

Advertisement
whipple could be the next greatest thing but i don't see us handing over the reigns to a 32 year old WR coach unless he comes in under a Brady at LSU type of set up.
EFF3A986-FEA5-4441-A769-7986EB78A397.png

He’s lucky papa Whipple got him his start at UMass…. The football powerhouse where all great coaches come from

And I’m with u…like I wish I cared about another team and THEY could hire Whipple cause there is a lot here that has my attention.

But to tell me you unlocked Scrooge McDuck’s vault only to show me Spencer Whipple hiding in it would be REALLY ******* underwhelming.

I agree

Advertisement
whipple could be the next greatest thing but i don't see us handing over the reigns to a 32 year old WR coach unless he comes in under a Brady at LSU type of set up.
One of the best hires made last year was Mark Stoops bringing in 34 year old Liam Cohen from the Rams where he was the Assistant QB Coach. He had only called plays previously at Maine.

(Funnily enough, Cohen is a Mark Whipple disciple, and you can see it in the way he calls plays, even though he's running most of McVay's scheme).

You gotta know talent sometimes when you see it. I remember when Jumbo hired Pruitt to be his DC even though he had never called plays before. It was a HR.

Again, you're making all these points (and they're fine points, and correct) as if I'm saying Spencer Whipple would be a fail, at the surface. It's deeper than that. Why are we hiring Spencer Whipple? Nobody else is. Literally. We have as much money to spend as any other program in the country, why would we hire guys who none of the other top programs are looking at? Because we're smarter than everyone else? This is a budget hire, plain and simple. This isn't who Saban would get. This isn't who Texas or OU or Ohio State is hiring to call their plays. Prior to last month, hiring someone in the same ballpark as those programs was laughable. Because we were broke. We had to hire the Spencer Whipple's of the world. That's no longer the case. We are the richest program in the conference and one of the richest in the country. Act like it and hire an established monster, not a kid who has called plays at UMass and one week in the NFL cause donkey *** Kliff had a cold.
The positive take is Michigan did the say thing last year with their DC. "No one" was hiring him until Michigan did. Same could be said with LSU and Joe Brady. Two schools who aren't afraid to throw money around. Who was paying MacDonald 1M per year before Michigan did?

Big time facts. Whipple could turn out to be elite, but when you have the money that’s being reported you don’t take the chance. You hire someone you KNOW will succeed.

Advertisement
One of the best hires made last y
ear was Mark Stoops bringing in 34 year old Liam Cohen from the Rams where he was the Assistant QB Coach. He had only called plays previously at Maine.

(Funnily enough, Cohen is a Mark Whipple disciple, and you can see it in the way he calls plays, even though he's running most of McVay's scheme).

You gotta know talent sometimes when you see it. I remember when Jumbo hired Pruitt to be his DC even though he had never called plays before. It was a HR.
Sure, sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle. But, as with everyone who's never called plays before, the lack of a meaningful history means there is risk there because you don't know precisely what you're getting.

Again, you're making all these points (and they're fine points, and correct) as if I'm saying Spencer Whipple would be a fail, at the surface. It's deeper than that. Why are we hiring Spencer Whipple? Nobody else is. Literally. We have as much money to spend as any other program in the country, why would we hire guys who none of the other top programs are looking at? Because we're smarter than everyone else? This is a budget hire, plain and simple. This isn't who Saban would get. This isn't who Texas or OU or Ohio State is hiring to call their plays. Prior to last month, hiring someone in the same ballpark as those programs was laughable. Because we were broke. We had to hire the Spencer Whipple's of the world. That's no longer the case. We are the richest program in the conference and one of the richest in the country. Act like it and hire an established monster, not a kid who has called plays at UMass and one week in the NFL cause donkey *** Kliff had a cold.
Saban was gonna hire Enos.
Saban hasn’t called Briles.
Dabo dodnt call briles despite his years as a playcaller
Everybody wants the uga guy at dc (hasn’t called plays either)

Everyone is an expert around here.
Not saying it’s Whipple. But this is why Mario dgaf what y’all think. Cause even if it was Jesus Christ himself as the oc we would say “but he never called plays tho”!!!!

Advertisement
Maybe it’s Brady
It makes no sense for it to be Brady unless he’s gonna coach TE’s. He has never coached QBs before and you want somebody who has a QB background of you’re gonna coach them.

Sure, sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle. But, as with everyone who's never called plays before, the lack of a meaningful history means there is risk there because you don't know precisely what you're getting.
Absolutely, and we shouldn't even be having this conversation given the reported Assistant Coach budget.

Just saying, it could work is all. I'd like Whipple over alot of these other names I've heard.

Advertisement
Better pick up the pace, if the 90% report is true, gonna be tough to make it to 2,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back