Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
celeb plane GIF
****, we need our Ted Striker.

Advertisement
1. No coordinators are long term moves. Spencer Whipple's endgame is not the OC at Miami. So he's going to be looking to leave as quickly as he can and to parlay this potential job into a bigger one, and it's what he should be doing. Nothing against him, you're always trying to move up in the profession.

2. "Probably". Key word. That's your opinion. I'll say he probably won't be as good. And only one of us has a shred of objectifiable evidence of our guy calling plays at this level, recruiting, developing, etc.

3. Spencer Whipple isn't even remotely as regarded as Ken Dorsey is at their respective jobs. Not on the same planet. Spencer is well thought of, he's seen as a sharp kid with a bright mind and future. But he's not getting OC jobs like Kenny most likely will. He might be on the same track Dorsey is, but he's several years behind Kenny.

4. Way too many "ifs" and "maybes" to have a ~$2.0M check and sign it over to this guy. Wake me up when Saban calls him. Or Kirby. Or Ryan Day. Or Lincoln. Or any of the Top 10-20 programs in the country. Nobody is stiff-arming people to get to Spencer Whipple so he can call their offense. If he didn't play here, nobody would have any idea who he was.

Well, Kliff Kingbury certainly thought he was good enough to call an NFL game. And he was correct. They put up 37 with him behind the stick. The review was that he was "unflappable and prepared," and "let it rip," and Kyler Murray gave him a lot of credit for his "aggressive play-calling." He also got to call the offense at UMASS and let's not forget that he grew up with a father that created some of the most prolific offenses in CFB history.

The Dorsey vs Whipple convo isn't a thing. Let's not manufacture it. Of course Dorsey is ahead of Whipple. He will be one of only 32 NFL OC's within a week or two. Which is why he's not an option for any college program.

Depends what you’re looking for? If I was a kid, I’d be thrilled. If I was an old man, I’d be less thrilled. I’m middle aged, so I’m happy. I think Mario made some great hires. I’m more curious to see how he fills the holes/position coaches now. I’m 100% guessing he’s left those for them. I’d want some guys on my staff that know what I run and what I want. That’s going to tell us a lot about the next few years.
Sounds ripe for contention. I’m sure the board will take it well.

Advertisement
I know what it’s about from a money standpoint. But every single position coach is filled as well as a co-oc with no OC. The odds of a big time name like Herman agreeing to this is extremely low imo
That could go both ways. Wouldn’t you think a “small” name would’ve already agreed to the position if offered?

OR the reason it’s taken so long to announce the hire is due to Mario trying to persuade a big fish to buy in to his vision and his staff?
Besides 3/4 insiders we’re all just guessing.

Advertisement
Well, Kliff Kingbury certainly thought he was good enough to call an NFL game. And he was correct. They put up 37 with him behind the stick. The review was that he was "unflappable and prepared," and "let it rip," and Kyler Murray gave him a lot of credit for his "aggressive play-calling." He also got to call the offense at UMASS and let's not forget that he grew up with a father that created some of the most prolific offenses in CFB history.

The Dorsey vs Whipple convo isn't a thing. Let's not manufacture it. Of course Dorsey is ahead of Whipple. He will be one of only 32 NFL OC's within a week or two. Which is why he's not an option for any college program.

Again, you're making all these points (and they're fine points, and correct) as if I'm saying Spencer Whipple would be a fail, at the surface. It's deeper than that. Why are we hiring Spencer Whipple? Nobody else is. Literally. We have as much money to spend as any other program in the country, why would we hire guys who none of the other top programs are looking at? Because we're smarter than everyone else? This is a budget hire, plain and simple. This isn't who Saban would get. This isn't who Texas or OU or Ohio State is hiring to call their plays. Prior to last month, hiring someone in the same ballpark as those programs was laughable. Because we were broke. We had to hire the Spencer Whipple's of the world. That's no longer the case. We are the richest program in the conference and one of the richest in the country. Act like it and hire an established monster, not a kid who has called plays at UMass and one week in the NFL cause donkey *** Kliff had a cold.

Yeah, on paper, Spencer Whipple would be a bad hire. From his wiki page:

Pittsburgh​

In 2012 Whipple joined Pittsburgh as a defensive graduate assistant and video assistant under head coach Paul Chryst.[4]

UMass​

In 2014, Spencer Whipple was hired as the tight ends coach for UMass. Spencer joined his father Mark Whipple, who was starting his second stint as head coach at UMass. In 2015, Spencer was named wide receivers coach, a position he held through the 2017 season. On February 5th, 2018, Spencer Whipple was promoted to passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach.[5]

Arizona Cardinals​

On February 6, 2019, Whipple was hired by the Arizona Cardinals as an offensive quality control coach under head coach Kliff Kingsbury. On February 5, 2020, Whipple was promoted to assistant wide receivers coach.[6]

Advertisement
I didn’t say he doesn’t know what he’s doing. And I didn’t say he wouldn’t be good.

But way too many of you are still living in the past, and for good reason. We've been broke as fvck forever. Spencer would be a great hire for broke *** Miami. He's exactly what we've ALWAYS done. The sharp up-and-comer, the rising star who nobody knows about yet, the guy who you better get on the cheap now because he's gonna be a boss soon.

But guess what...we don't need to do that anymore. We're not broke *** Miami. We are RICH AS FVCK. And when you're rich, you don't buy the rundown ****box and take years renovating it. You move into the baller mansion on the water that's turnkey and you put your ******* feet up.

Stop thinking broke. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY is trying to give Spencer Whipple $1.75M to $2M a season. Not a single program or institution on the planet. Why should we? Because he might be good in the future?
Not disagreeing with you but because of years of neglect we are the run down mansion and may take a couple of years to renovate it

Advertisement
Again, you're making all these points (and they're fine points, and correct) as if I'm saying Spencer Whipple would be a fail, at the surface. It's deeper than that. Why are we hiring Spencer Whipple? Nobody else is. Literally. We have as much money to spend as any other program in the country, why would we hire guys who none of the other top programs are looking at? Because we're smarter than everyone else? This is a budget hire, plain and simple. This isn't who Saban would get. This isn't who Texas or OU or Ohio State is hiring to call their plays. Prior to last month, hiring someone in the same ballpark as those programs was laughable. Because we were broke. We had to hire the Spencer Whipple's of the world. That's no longer the case. We are the richest program in the conference and one of the richest in the country. Act like it and hire an established monster, not a kid who has called plays at UMass and one week in the NFL cause donkey *** Kliff had a cold.

I am intrigued by Whipple but ......

Facts.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back