Some late night season-ending thoughts....

k9cane

Senior
Ok, year one of the Golden Era went out with a whimper, but while today's loss to BC was embarrassing and inexcusable on every front, not that big of a loss in the big-picture. Yeah, the timing was peculiar, but I'm glad Golden got his extension. Say all you want about him not 'earning' it on the field, folks, that's not the real world, UM is dying for stability and maybe my slanted eyes have green and orange shades- but I firmly believe this is the guy. And the last thing this program needs is another coaching change.

But moving forward, its time to beat a dead horse. Art Kehoe, can anyone justify keeping him in Coral Gables in his current role? Once again, the line got shoved around, beat to the punch and played with poor leverage. And in dovetailing that point, anytime a coach says that the team needs to be bigger and stronger, well, that's an indictment isn't it of Andreu Swasey?

I'd like to think these two are on the bubble, at the very least

Jacory Harris is now gone( thankfully). He had a nice senior year( save the BC disaster) but his limitations in arm strength were very apparent throughout the year. Countless underthrows, balls that lacked zip and corners started to really squat and break on everything late in the year. I really think he severely limited what Fisch could do at times. At least with Stephen Morris- who may or may not start next season- Miami will have the ability to drive the ball down the field.

I think next years offense can be good. I like the trio of Streeter, Dorsett and Hurns. O-line has potential from a physical standpoint and Walford can be more than productive. I just wish Fisch would cut out the gimmicks. As for Lamar Miller, honestly, while he's a home run hitter, he also strikes out too **** much and isn't a consistent chain mover like the great CAnes runners of the past. He seems to lack decisiveness into the hole many times. I really don't see him as a first round pick, currently. That said, he was the MVP of this offense and don't fool yourself, he would be missed

As for the D, I worry that there is nobody that will make up for the plays that Sean Spence made. I like Perryman and Chick, and there are some guys like Porter and Vernon that are solid guys, but that secondary..... Yeah, where have you gone Casey Greer and Terris Harris? Seriously, forget All-American play, we just need serviceable and reliable play back there and UM simply didn't get it in my mind. Some guys like Finnie and true freshman will have to play immediately back there but I guess lot of this will be worked out in the spring.

But overall, there needed to be a deep seated culture change at UM and the reality of it is, it was going to take more than just 9 months for it to come to fruition. It may even take longer than another season as Golden has to gut this team and rid himself of all 'the clock punchers'. Players with a certain passion and football IQ are badly needed in this program.I cant lie, as I watched this last game, I found myself just wanting to get this over with( win or lose) and just move on to the future. And quite frankly, it seemed that mirrored the attitude of a lot of the players out there.

Which was precisely the problem....

Advertisement
^^
always on point k9....just to comment on that last paragraph: I couldn't help but feel that same 'apathy' (for lack of more concise term) watching the last 2 games this year.....it was like a band-aid I just wanted to rip off, and give the nasty wound underneath some fresh air....I've had that feeling for several years now, but then again, I'm just a frustrated fan.....the cluelessness of most of our D players is frightening, and the thinness of the roster on that side of the ball is also scary....our qb situation remains dubious as well

that all being said, I def. see light at the end of the tunnel, and see better times ahead....we won't be world beaters next year, but I feel there will be some improvement....it sucks being such an irrelevent, inconsistent team, and having to lower your expectations....we'll see

Ok, year one of the Golden Era went out with a whimper, but while today's loss to BC was embarrassing and inexcusable on every front, not that big of a loss in the big-picture. Yeah, the timing was peculiar, but I'm glad Golden got his extension. Say all you want about him not 'earning' it on the field, folks, that's not the real world, UM is dying for stability and maybe my slanted eyes have green and orange shades- but I firmly believe this is the guy. And the last thing this program needs is another coaching change.

But moving forward, its time to beat a dead horse. Art Kehoe, can anyone justify keeping him in Coral Gables in his current role? Once again, the line got shoved around, beat to the punch and played with poor leverage. And in dovetailing that point, anytime a coach says that the team needs to be bigger and stronger, well, that's an indictment isn't it of Andreu Swasey?

Jacory Harris is now gone( thankfully). He had a nice senior year( save the BC disaster) but his limitations in arm strength were very apparent throughout the year. Countless underthrows, balls that lacked zip and corners started to really squat and break on everything late in the year. I really think he severely limited what Fisch could do at times. At least with Stephen Morris- who may or may not start next season- Miami will have the ability to drive the ball down the field.

I think next years offense can be good. I like the trio of Streeter, Dorsett and Hurns. O-line has potential from a physical standpoint and Walford can be more than productive. I just wish Fisch would cut out the gimmicks. As for Lamar Miller, honestly, while he's a home run hitter, he also strikes out too **** much and isn't a consistent chain mover like the great CAnes runners of the past. He seems to lack decisiveness into the hole many times. I really don't see him as a first round pick, currently. That said, he was the MVP of this offense and don't fool yourself, he would be missed

As for the D, I worry that there is nobody that will make up for the plays that Sean Spence made. I like Perryman and Chick, and there are some guys like Porter and Vernon that are solid guys, but that secondary..... Yeah, where have you gone Casey Greer and Terris Harris? Seriously, forget All-American play, we just need serviceable and reliable play back there and UM simply didn't get it in my mind. Some guys like Finnie and true freshman will have to play immediately back there but I guess lot of this will be worked out in the spring.

But overall, there needed to be a deep seated culture change at UM and the reality of it is, it was going to take more than just 9 months for it to come to fruition. It may even take longer than another season as Golden has to gut this team and rid himself of all 'the clock punchers'. Players with a certain passion and football IQ are badly needed in this program.I cant lie, as I watched this last game, I found myself just wanting to get this over with( win or lose) and just move on to the future. And quite frankly, it seemed that mirrored the attitude of a lot of the players out there.

Great job as always K9.

What is your take on staying with Jacory late in the game? I felt like Golden just gave up, Why not go to Morris?

82, I really think he felt he owed it to a guy like Harris, who as seniors he felt bought-in to what he and his staff was doing. And this being Senior Day, I really dont think he wanted to see Harris go out this way

That's my theory at least. I think he really wanted Jacory to go out on a high note and didn't want to pull him

And also why would you risk putting Morris out there? to possibly get injured by the suspect line?

Advertisement

Great job as always K9.

What is your take on staying with Jacory late in the game? I felt like Golden just gave up, Why not go to Morris?

I don't think golden gave up. I think he knew we were not playing for anything and didn't want to embarrass jacory by pulling him on sr day. He has a lot of love for the sr's

Good post K9. I will be incredibly bitter about this loss for several more days because of the level of hatred I harbor for Boston College--and I can honestly say that if this loss were to pretty much any other program I wouldn't be even remotely as mad as I am this AM (well, maybe Duke.....).

But you're right, complete culture changes take time. We have seen in a couple true freshmen that Golden can get buy-in from impact guys that will play hard for him from the get-go. We have to assume (because we have no other choice) that he will continue to do this in years to come, so what we really need to hope for is limited scholarship sanctions. Also we are at an advantage, in my mind, because the other programs in the state are in more or less the same situation as UM (even though FSU came up here and stomped out BC while BC stomped us out). At this point I'd absolutely rather have Golden at the helm of my program instead of Muschamp or Jimbo.

Spot on, k9. i was watching that game with more indifference than at any other time that I can remember. I kept on wondering why Jacory didn't run and risk taking a hit, he didn't have to worry about next week or next month. As for Golden, he had contract leverage and used it, very smart of him. Sportsbybrooks can't figure this out, but Penn St. had little to do with the extension; he would have used any other opening that he was remotely connected to to get the same deal.

Advertisement
As for Golden, he had contract leverage and used it, very smart of him. Penn St. had little to do with the extension; he would have used any other opening that he was remotely connected to to get the same deal.

You call his bull**** then. He's done nothing to warrant an extension, raise, etc. Giving him anything more than what he already has was foolish and inexcusable.

Watching the LSU-Ark game, which was on at the same time, it was like UM-BC was a JV game. That certainly raised the apathy level and it was striking the contrast in every way.

Another point, I really hope guys like Grimble, King, Paul, etc, are ready to make the leap

Another point, I really hope guys like Grimble, King, Paul, etc, are ready to make the leap

This is my absolute biggest fear with the program going forward. I don't see war daddies on the defensive line. We need an off-season like 2001, where Butch added Wilfork, McDougle and Andrew Williams to the active roster and completely remade the defense.

My hope is that the DT rotation of Regis, Fortson and Robinson can at the very least be a foundation of a decent inside rotation on D. Yeah, it's not Tez Kennedy, Russell Maryland and Jimmie Jones, but it's not like Denny Fortney and Marvin Davis, either

This is my absolute biggest fear with the program going forward. I don't see war daddies on the defensive line. We need an off-season like 2001, where Butch added Wilfork, McDougle and Andrew Williams to the active roster and completely remade the defense.

Advertisement
Bruh, I don't even think its 100% necessary to get Vince Wilfork's to see improvement from Year 1 to Year 2...we'd have ourselves something legitimate if we simply had some fire hydrants sitting there in the middle ala South Florida. Some squatty guys that just get down n dirty.

My hope is that the DT rotation of Regis, Fortson and Robinson can at the very least be a foundation of a decent inside rotation on D. Yeah, it's not Tez Kennedy, Russell Maryland and Jimmie Jones, but it's not like Denny Fortney and Marvin Davis, either

Next year we can be OK. Porter and Regis are pluggers and Ojomo and Forston can rush the passer. I meant more long-term. We've signed a laundry list of JAGs at that position the past four years. If we want to be a national championship program down the road that needs to change.

EDIT: Meant Darius Smith, not Regis.

Next year we can be OK. Porter and Regis are pluggers and Ojomo and Forston can rush the passer. I meant more long-term. We've signed a laundry list of JAGs at that position the past four years. If we want to be a national championship program down the road that needs to change.

Regis is gone Dmoney....he's a senior...

Advertisement
By the way, thanks for the shout-out k9!

We've got friends in high places

Regis is gone Dmoney....he's a senior...

Man, I've been terrible with names lately. I'm turning into my old man. I meant Darius Smith.

I agree with DT pos. In fact I say, any DTs with an offer from LSU or Bama, they should get one from us too, no matter what. Lol

JC

Advertisement
Back