Some late night season-ending thoughts....

From a guy who "knows a thing or two" about coaching at the U

JimmyJohnson Jimmy Johnson
“@PaulCurcio89: when do you think UM is gonna be back at that elite level?”2 years after 2 more classes
3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Advertisement
K-9,

I am very grateful you came over.

No homo, but you, D-Money, Lu and a few others simply made TOS roll and your guys' absence here might have proven fatal. You guys bring info/insights that we all appreciate very much. I'm grateful that you step up and share. Your stuff is gold.

Thanks and I wish you nothing but the very best.

As for Golden, he had contract leverage and used it, very smart of him. Penn St. had little to do with the extension; he would have used any other opening that he was remotely connected to to get the same deal.

You call his bull**** then. He's done nothing to warrant an extension, raise, etc. Giving him anything more than what he already has was foolish and inexcusable.

Not calling anything, IN- except the way I see it. :eek: People credited UM with being shrewd for turning down a bowl bid the school really didn't want and would have cost the school money, while calling it a "punishment." I see AG pulling the same thing here- he took advantage of a sitaution. I hold him no ill will for doing so.

Advertisement
Im with you, why practice with dead weight, when you can get the players moving forward to start lifting weights. Did anyone really miss not going to a bowl game in 1995 after Butch Davis' first season?

As for Golden, he had contract leverage and used it, very smart of him. Penn St. had little to do with the extension; he would have used any other opening that he was remotely connected to to get the same deal.

You call his bull**** then. He's done nothing to warrant an extension, raise, etc. Giving him anything more than what he already has was foolish and inexcusable.

Not calling anything, IN- except the way I see it. :eek: People credited UM with being shrewd for turning down a bowl bid the school really didn't want and would have cost the school money, while calling it a "punishment." I see AG pulling the same thing here- he took advantage of a sitaution. I hold him no ill will for doing so.

B, Im just a humble contributor, but thanks for the kind words....

K-9,

I am very grateful you came over.

No homo, but you, D-Money, Lu and a few others simply made TOS roll and your guys' absence here might have proven fatal. You guys bring info/insights that we all appreciate very much. I'm grateful that you step up and share. Your stuff is gold.

Thanks and I wish you nothing but the very best.

From a guy who "knows a thing or two" about coaching at the U

JimmyJohnson Jimmy Johnson
“@PaulCurcio89: when do you think UM is gonna be back at that elite level?”2 years after 2 more classes3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

So he thinks it will take us FOUR YEARS to get back to an elite level?

Great point, niner. I've seen enough of this team fading every November, followed up by an even worse showing in whatever bowl game invite we've had. 30 extra days of nothing but training, especially if it's focused on strenth training, is exactly what this team needs. Nobody gets hurt playing against the 8th place SEC team, the competition between the QB's can start a month early, Chickillo and Perryman can grow into D leadership roles, (and I think 2 defenders kicking some asses will be better than what Spence could accomplish by himself.) Now if only Swasey would find his way to the Dolphins, or some other pro team who needs help in conditioning. . . .

Im with you, why practice with dead weight, when you can get the players moving forward to start lifting weights. Did anyone really miss not going to a bowl game in 1995 after Butch Davis' first season?

Advertisement
Honestly, anyone that UM faces in a bowl game, beats them like a pinata'. Lets be frank about that. Just turn the page ASAP to '12. Dont think it helps recruiting all that much to get blown out in some 3rd tier bowl, also

Great point, niner. I've seen enough of this team fading every November, followed up by an even worse showing in whatever bowl game invite we've had. 30 extra days of nothing but training, especially if it's focused on strenth training, is exactly what this team needs. Nobody gets hurt playing against the 8th place SEC team, the competition between the QB's can start a month early, Chickillo and Perryman can grow into D leadership roles, (and I think 2 defenders kicking some asses will be better than what Spence could accomplish by himself.) Now if only Swasey would find his way to the Dolphins, or some other pro team who needs help in conditioning. . . .

Ok, year one of the Golden Era went out with a whimper, but while today's loss to BC was embarrassing and inexcusable on every front, not that big of a loss in the big-picture. Yeah, the timing was peculiar, but I'm glad Golden got his extension. Say all you want about him not 'earning' it on the field, folks, that's not the real world, UM is dying for stability and maybe my slanted eyes have green and orange shades- but I firmly believe this is the guy. And the last thing this program needs is another coaching change.

But moving forward, its time to beat a dead horse. Art Kehoe, can anyone justify keeping him in Coral Gables in his current role? Once again, the line got shoved around, beat to the punch and played with poor leverage. And in dovetailing that point, anytime a coach says that the team needs to be bigger and stronger, well, that's an indictment isn't it of Andreu Swasey?

I'd like to think these two are on the bubble, at the very least

Jacory Harris is now gone( thankfully). He had a nice senior year( save the BC disaster) but his limitations in arm strength were very apparent throughout the year. Countless underthrows, balls that lacked zip and corners started to really squat and break on everything late in the year. I really think he severely limited what Fisch could do at times. At least with Stephen Morris- who may or may not start next season- Miami will have the ability to drive the ball down the field.

I think next years offense can be good. I like the trio of Streeter, Dorsett and Hurns. O-line has potential from a physical standpoint and Walford can be more than productive. I just wish Fisch would cut out the gimmicks. As for Lamar Miller, honestly, while he's a home run hitter, he also strikes out too **** much and isn't a consistent chain mover like the great CAnes runners of the past. He seems to lack decisiveness into the hole many times. I really don't see him as a first round pick, currently. That said, he was the MVP of this offense and don't fool yourself, he would be missed

As for the D, I worry that there is nobody that will make up for the plays that Sean Spence made. I like Perryman and Chick, and there are some guys like Porter and Vernon that are solid guys, but that secondary..... Yeah, where have you gone Casey Greer and Terris Harris? Seriously, forget All-American play, we just need serviceable and reliable play back there and UM simply didn't get it in my mind. Some guys like Finnie and true freshman will have to play immediately back there but I guess lot of this will be worked out in the spring.

But overall, there needed to be a deep seated culture change at UM and the reality of it is, it was going to take more than just 9 months for it to come to fruition. It may even take longer than another season as Golden has to gut this team and rid himself of all 'the clock punchers'. Players with a certain passion and football IQ are badly needed in this program.I cant lie, as I watched this last game, I found myself just wanting to get this over with( win or lose) and just move on to the future. And quite frankly, it seemed that mirrored the attitude of a lot of the players out there.

Which was precisely the problem....

Great job as always K9.

What is your take on staying with Jacory late in the game? I felt like Golden just gave up, Why not go to Morris?

I don't think golden gave up. I think he knew we were not playing for anything and didn't want to embarrass jacory by pulling him on sr day. He has a lot of love for the sr's

I agree with that.

Absolutely agree on why AG left Jacory in the game. Lets face it, we werent playing for anything meaningful at that point. Its not like a better bowl, or ACCCG or anything else was on the line in this game. It was Senior day, and Jacory's last game. I found myself screaming at AG to put Morris in when it was clear Jacory was mentally checked out and totally imploding... but in my gut I knew he just couldnt do it. He wasnt going to bench his Senior starting QB in his last game at home. Lets face it, he probably had more to lose by doing that, then what we would have gained. Yes, we may well have beaten BC, but so what? It would have probably caused some bad feelings and bad blood amongst the team, and maybe even some of the fan base. He would have been the coach that benched his Senior starting QB in his final game, at home, over a meaningless game. I think AG is trying to show these kids that he is more than just a W-L guy.... hes trying to really turn around the entire culture and mindset in the program, but he needs these kids to trust and believe in him. Had this been mid season, I could have seen AG sitting JH... but not in this game.

Excellent summation by K9 otherwise, as always. I cannot agree more on Kehoe.. if there is ONE coach that needs to go above all others, its Kehoe... never thought I would say I want anyone on this staff gone even more than Swasey, but Kehoe needs to be the first out.... there is NO excuse for how poor the OL played this year... an experienced OL with some HUGE guys, many of which were highly recruited and heralded recruits.

I think our DL will be MUCH improved next year. I think injuries and suspensions really hurt this unit this year. Having L.Rob, Porter and Forston out for most of the season destroyed our depth at DT, forced Ojomo inside, and Vernon being gone half the season really hurt his development too. Getting all those guys back, with D.Smith, and Chick after another offseason getting bigger and stronger, is going to be HUGE for us.

Absolutely agree on why AG left Jacory in the game. Lets face it, we werent playing for anything meaningful at that point. Its not like a better bowl, or ACCCG or anything else was on the line in this game. It was Senior day, and Jacory's last game. I found myself screaming at AG to put Morris in when it was clear Jacory was mentally checked out and totally imploding... but in my gut I knew he just couldnt do it. He wasnt going to bench his Senior starting QB in his last game at home. Lets face it, he probably had more to lose by doing that, then what we would have gained. Yes, we may well have beaten BC, but so what? It would have probably caused some bad feelings and bad blood amongst the team, and maybe even some of the fan base. He would have been the coach that benched his Senior starting QB in his final game, at home, over a meaningless game. I think AG is trying to show these kids that he is more than just a W-L guy.... hes trying to really turn around the entire culture and mindset in the program, but he needs these kids to trust and believe in him. Had this been mid season, I could have seen AG sitting JH... but not in this game.

Excellent summation by K9 otherwise, as always. I cannot agree more on Kehoe.. if there is ONE coach that needs to go above all others, its Kehoe... never thought I would say I want anyone on this staff gone even more than Swasey, but Kehoe needs to be the first out.... there is NO excuse for how poor the OL played this year... an experienced OL with some HUGE guys, many of which were highly recruited and heralded recruits.

I think our DL will be MUCH improved next year. I think injuries and suspensions really hurt this unit this year. Having L.Rob, Porter and Forston out for most of the season destroyed our depth at DT, forced Ojomo inside, and Vernon being gone half the season really hurt his development too. Getting all those guys back, with D.Smith, and Chick after another offseason getting bigger and stronger, is going to be HUGE for us.

Agreed on Harris. Had we been playing for a bowl birth I think he plays it different.

Advertisement
I won't be happy until we get some DT's to plug things up..
Good stuff in these threads..

The culture is being changed. We played hard all year and were in it to win it in EVERY SINGLE Game. That's a huge improvement. Tackling improved and ST also. That's coaching. Just need bodies and patience. Next yr I say 9-3ish and a bowl win. CROWN!!

Advertisement
In reading JJ post, I am thinking he is really saying once all Randy's guys are fully gone, 2 years after next to classes, 4 years. Guess is it completely rids of Randy era.

I thought JJ was saying after two more classes - meaning two more years.

That would be year 3 in getting kids into the program that Golden is wanting to install. Consider too, that this class is huge. Consider it's also likely that a few who aren't buying in or producing will be asked to leave.

You recruit, train, and cut dead limbs each year, and you'll get more production out of your crew.

We're thin at everything right now, so imagine two more classes - while cutting out the non-producers and we've hopefully plugged up a lot of holes and start to gain some depth.

JJ knows Golden and what he's doing, and I think he knows it won't take four to six years to be on the national scene once again.

Where we belong.

I'm glad we skipped out on a bowl game--we don't waste time or detract attention from recruiting, training, replacing coaches, etc., we don't expose ourselves to another embarrassing loss at a key recruiting time and we get the benefit of advancing the sanction to get it behind us now. All in all, it was a wise decision on several fronts.

Nice post, K9. Spot on, as usual.

Advertisement
Back