Some images to reduce worry about Gerald Willis' LOA

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
As we've discussed, the top 3 DTs will now, at least initially, likely be Kendrick Norton, RJ Mcintosh and Anthony Moten.

From what's been mentioned about Spring practice and what I am projecting based on some ongoing review, I think Pat Bethel can actually make himself a legitimate 3rd guy and, at the least, a solid rotational 4th DT for us. The question, of course, is strength. We will see where he is and how he's grown. If he's anywhere near 275-280 during the season, via an actual play from a meaningful game, here are some reasons there is minimal concern with Pat Bethel as your 4th DT:

1. Bethel was actually inserted into our games for some meaningful snaps last year. Sure, at DE, and yes, not a great deal of snaps. But, he's been on the stage. Here he is in Q1 of the FSU game last year. Critical 2nd and 5 as FSU is driving on our side of the field. Bethel is inserted at LDE, FSU runs a fake toss rollout for Francois. Bethel leans inside.

Leaned inside.jpg

2. Bethel is sufficiently athletic and has shown solid feet. In this image, he actually recovers well from the far hash to nearly catch up from leaning inside against a decently mobile QB.

Pat Bethel Recovery.jpg

3. Although he doesn't completely close, the most impressive portion of the play is the finish. Bethel has a really solid tenacity/motor to keep chasing the play and ensuring a stop for a minimal game. This actually made a difference in the game. How it relates to the DT position in Manny Diaz's system is easy. A lot of his responsibilities are going to revolve around shooting gaps and slanting hard. His motor is half the battle. The rest is a combination of feet (majority) and strength (we shall see).

Pat Bethel Tackle.jpg

You don't agree or think he'll particularly struggle because of a reason, please tell us why.

Advertisement
Bethel looked good in spring. If the weight/strength keeps coming he will help us next year.

He's similar to Willis in many respects. Not quite the playmaker, but more reliable.

Bethel looked good in spring. If the weight/strength keeps coming he will help us next year.

He's similar to Willis in many respects. Not quite the playmaker, but more reliable.
You're saying 2017 or 2018?

Unless he's really hit a wall with strength and size, I think he could help right away. I tried to watch as many defensive snaps of Willis as are available, and while Willis seems a little better with his hands/length, Bethel can probably do most of the stuff Willis did with his feet. Willis ran stunts, loops and mostly did his best work moving across gaps. Think Bethel can do the same.

Until I see him live at DT, though, it's really just projecting the heck out of his attributes.

Advertisement
Thanks Lu, always appreciated.

Didn't Papa Shaq give him the "He's Ready" vote of confidence a few weeks back?

Motor. I'm all about motor at DT. Give me a good athlete with adequate size and a big motor, and Kool will have him beasting. I like Bethel.

Sam Bruce is more reliable than Willis.

Advertisement
Don't think Willis will be a big loss unless we just get a rash of injuries at the position.

Lets not pretend that Willis was beasting prior or after his injury. Lets also remember Willis was a backup and provided quality depth. No reason to think that Bethel or Moten for that matter, couldn't give us better production. I especially agree with LuCane that Bethel would be effective on shooting the gaps and slants.

Advertisement
In all honesty... Kool is the position Coach and Ryan fines has been working under him for 2 years now and has the strength to play the position at this level anyway. I trust Kool so much that I have faith Fines would be good as a 4th DT if needed

Despite losing Willis & Jenkins, the fact we still have Bethel, Moten, Martin, Fines & Ford puts in perspective just how much depth we really have at DL.

Normally, you would panic with so many unknowns with these guys that haven't played much at all if any, but the luxury of having Coach Kool the best Defensive Line Coach in D1 Football, should give us more confidence that he can get guys to contribute that would ordinarily take 2 seasons to get on the field.

This staff has shown they can get TF's/backups ready to go & make plays for us, we don't need any of the backup DT's to play like All-ACC players, we simply need them to do their job which is contribute relief snaps to McIntosh & Kendrick.

If they happen to get a few TFL's & maybe a Sack or two, then that's just icing on the cake, but all we really need'em to do is hold down the fort when they get rotated in.

Bethel, Moten & the rest are more than capable of getting that done.

Advertisement
In typically an optimist, ..I got my suspicions the offense gonna get a bit in sync ...(not debating who's gonna start..just saying I think we have the pieces to be drastically improved from last year)..we may need several DE's for rotational purposes, if our offense starts clicking. We have the pieces to score quickly.

The key to the DT position is McIntosh and Norton staying healthy. Having Moten and Bethel as your 3rd and 4th DT getting situational snaps or mop up duty is more than fine. If McIntosh or Nort get hurt it causes everyone to move up which could be a problem and more snaps for Moten, Bethel, Fines, Martin, etc. I think we have to be smart in how we use McIntosh and Nort. Get them off the field on 3rd n Long, etc.

The key to the DT position is McIntosh and Norton staying healthy. Having Moten and Bethel as your 3rd and 4th DT getting situational snaps or mop up duty is more than fine. If McIntosh or Nort get hurt it causes everyone to move up which could be a problem and more snaps for Moten, Bethel, Fines, Martin, etc. I think we have to be smart in how we use McIntosh and Nort. Get them off the field on 3rd n Long, etc.

Our 3rd DT plays around 30 snaps a game. It's a lot more than mop-up duty.

Advertisement
Back