Some fun things I hope Lashlee brings to our RBs

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Have watched a ton of Lashlee's stuff over the past month. The hope was just to get a sense of what he'd bring in a Year 1 situation. He's been involved in very different types of spread approaches, so it's not as straightforward as "he's an Air Raid guy."

Specifically, a recent thread made me remember to post some of my notes on what we'd see from the RBs:

Click this link and view the play at 1:07:

Something we saw only in one-off situations last year from our offense were interesting calls in the red zone. In the clip above, Lashlee utilizes his RBs ability in space. He goes trips left to the field side. He spreads the field, sends the WR lined up to the boundary side across the field and basically creates a matchup to the boundary sideline where he slips out the OT to play what was supposed to be 3 on 3 football with their defenders. That sounds simple enough, but it's the type of matchup I'm incredibly excited to see Jaylen Knighton in. King, Jarrid Williams (who I project at RT if they play Scaife inside) and Knighton vs any three defenders is a solid matchup.

Click this link and view the play at 1:17:

Watch the "H-Back" lined up in the backfield come across the formation and wall off defenders to setup a cutback by the RB. This is the type of play Cam Harris should excel in. Press the hole, cut it back, slash into the secondary. Lashlee's SMU offense pulled all sorts of interesting blockers. Sometimes a TE and a G. Sometimes across the formation and run a counter. Sometimes play side. When you combine that with a mobile QB, that's a **** mission for LBs and Safeties to stay disciplined on. It opens things up for slashes from a RB with Cam's style.

Click this link and view the play at 3:42:

An interesting little pitch out after a fake to the FB out of the I-Formation (something I don't think we'll see a lot with King) creates a matchup on the edge. But, the point is I think Don Chaney's evolving physique and style are well-suited for these types of matchups. He can spell Harris and Knighton with these unique plays (maybe more, if given the chance) and offer us flashes during his true Frosh campaign.

Lots more from Lashlee, so please feel free to use this thread to post cool things he does to get his RBs matchups inside and on the edges.

Advertisement
I know our receivers aren't the best we've had this year, but one thing that's been missing from our offense for a LONG time have been angle routes out of the backfield to RB's over the middle of the field. Jedd Fisch use to run these which is one of the reasons I liked his offense.

With the type of speed/athlete we typically have on the perimeter at receiver, the middle of the field is usually ripe for the taking. Coley didn't know what the middle of field looked like and Richt was too busy running 4 verts all game. It would be really nice to see Lashlee reintroduce this concept to both get the RB's involved in the passing game and to exploit the middle of the field.

tenor-36.gif

Enos is gone

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sonny Dykes Air Raid Passing Attack + Gus Malzahn Arkansas/Auburn Rushing Attack = Lashlee's Offense.

Is a marriage of two offenses that cover up the weaknesses of the other. Malzahn has a nice power run offense but very simple pass game. Very limited route concepts , hence why Auburn normally has suspect passing games. Especially when the run game has to be put up.

Dykes air raid is finesse and lacks power , but has a good mixture of route concepts and puts pressure on the d vertically and horizontally. Spreads the d thin. Merging these offenses counteracts the weakness’s of both with strengths from the other.

I kept telling cats this isn’t a Malzahn o, it’s a Lashlee o.

Is a marriage of two offenses that cover up the weaknesses of the other. Malzahn has a nice power run offense but very simple pass game. Very limited route concepts , hence why Auburn normally has suspect passing games. Especially when the run game has to be put up.

Dykes air raid is finesse and lacks power , but has a good mixture of route concepts and puts pressure on the d vertically and horizontally. Spreads the d thin. Merging these offenses counteracts the weakness’s of both with strengths from the other.

I kept telling cats this isn’t a Malzahn o, it’s a Lashlee o.
I've explained the same thing on the board in multiple threads since January.

The same type of offense you see Lincoln Riley running at Oklahoma is what we'll be doing here.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Just like when Diaz took over and the entire defense appeared to get better overnight, that’s what will happen with Lashlee. Big jump in 2020 coming.
I agree with this. And credit needs to be given where credit is due- Manny’s first year as defensive coordinator in 2016 was amazing. Changed our defensive in so many ways for the better. If Lashlee has that same quick effect on the offense, we will take off

Kevin Mensah UCONN's RB the year Lashlee was OC there.

You see a lot of those pulling Guard inside Zones that Lash like to call.

It makes perfect sense to keep Scaife at OG because of his feet & his ability to get to the second level, opening lanes on the quick inside runs.

Just like when Diaz took over and the entire defense appeared to get better overnight, that’s what will happen with Lashlee. Big jump in 2020 coming.
Honestly, with even average QB play, and decent play calling, we see a big jump. IF, and that's a big if, the players that have been here a couple years buy in 100% and actually work hard, we could see a bigger jump in O than we saw on D in 2016.

The key to everything is Diaz instilling more discipline. That, or get out of the way so Lashlee can. That's honestly my biggest concern. Can Lashlee destroy the culture Manny has created. The dancing, trinkets, celebration tracking, all that nonsense. We have to become a more disciplined, more focused football team. Everything Manny has tried needs to just go away. Yes, even the turnover chain. It's time to make a play because it helps the team, not because it gives you 15 seconds of fame.

Advertisement
Back