SoFla recruiting old-heads, what happened here?

He had bad grades because his was kicked out when he was living with his mother in Miami, his pops Eddie Brown was still playing Arena league ball somewhere & Antonio was basically living with friends & family around the hood. He was actually coached by TY Hilton's dad in little league, he's a Liberty City Gwen Cherry boy. He was a beast in HS but his grades & test scores were just too bad he couldn't get in anywhere.

He ended up going to a Prep school in North Carolina, NC Tech (which is a known fraud program that does a lot shady business in trying to get kids with bad grades & that come rough backgrounds & have no other options).

He was supposed to go to FIU but got into a fight & was never officially admitted, then a WR's coach who recruited him at Norland brought him onto CMU as a Walk-on with Butch Jones.

He was on campus though LCE. Practicing with the team and all but after his altercation on campus, Mario & FIU acted as if he was never there and just dismissed him from the program allowing him to go to CMU.

Advertisement
He had bad grades because his was kicked out when he was living with his mother in Miami, his pops Eddie Brown was still playing Arena league ball somewhere & Antonio was basically living with friends & family around the hood. He was actually coached by TY Hilton's dad in little league, he's a Liberty City Gwen Cherry boy. He was a beast in HS but his grades & test scores were just too bad he couldn't get in anywhere.

He ended up going to a Prep school in North Carolina, NC Tech (which is a known fraud program that does a lot shady business in trying to get kids with bad grades & that come rough backgrounds & have no other options).

He was supposed to go to FIU but got into a fight & was never officially admitted, then a WR's coach who recruited him at Norland brought him onto CMU as a Walk-on with Butch Jones.

Is the tale that Lebatard is always trying to spin when he's essentially defending A-Me's jackassery now true? That he was essentially homeless in high school? Seems to be more along the lines of thousands of other South Florida inner city kids that stayed at different places throughout their teens but don't still use their obviously less than idea childhoods as excuses for lunacy into the freakin' 30s.

Is the tale that Lebatard is always trying to spin when he's essentially defending A-Me's jackassery now true? That he was essentially homeless in high school? Seems to be more along the lines of thousands of other South Florida inner city kids that stayed at different places throughout their teens but don't still use their obviously less than idea childhoods as excuses for lunacy into the freakin' 30s.
It's always been true he was homeless, he literally went from house to house of some of his friends & a few of relatives, he didn't have a place to stay every night, sometimes he was legit on the street or sleeping in a friends car. His Ma dukes basically chose his Step dad over him & he was left to survive on his own.

As far as what he's going through now, who knows, but unless you lived it yourself you can't really judge someone's upbringing, different situations & circumstances affect people differently. He's been through a lot & obviously part of his attitude comes from having to fend for himself. That doesn't justify all his actions, but it obviously still impacts the way he sees things & does things his own way.

Advertisement

now true? you think he just made it up?

It's always been true he was homeless, he literally went from house to house of some of his friends & a few of relatives, he didn't have a place to stay every night, sometimes he was legit on the street or sleeping in a friends car. His Ma dukes basically chose his Step dad over him & he was left to survive on his own.

As far as what he's going through now, who knows, but unless you lived it yourself you can't really judge someone's upbringing, different situations & circumstances affect people differently. He's been through a lot & obviously part of his attitude comes from having to fend for himself. That doesn't justify all his actions, but it obviously still impacts the way he sees things & does things his own way.

Thanks for confirming it. With Lebatard's constant caping for EVERY athlete you never can tell what is legitimate backstory on someone or something being filtered through his surburbanite lense.

The thing where I might diverge a little bit with you is that at some point it just can't be used as even a rationale let alone an excuse for some of the crazy **** Brown has down recently- especially when the league is comprised of hundreds of other dudes that probably had very similar situations growing up. The dude just seems like he never matured at all beyond the first time he started to get coddled as an athlete post his obviously ****** childhood.

No. I meant in relation to Lebatard rationalizing his jackassery now. Lebatard was the main source I heard describing Brown's upbringing so it was all in relation to that and not me questioning anything Brown has said about it himself.

tbh, i just think AB wants to skip camp lol. i don't blame him. he's a vet, camp is dumb. look at AJ green and camp.

Advertisement

Facts. my Dad played with TY Hilton's Dad at Miami Springs.

You're the real Plug My G. 💯

Thanks for confirming it. With Lebatard's constant caping for EVERY athlete you never can tell what is legitimate backstory on someone or something being filtered through his surburbanite lense.

The thing where I might diverge a little bit with you is that at some point it just can't be used as even a rationale let alone an excuse for some of the crazy **** Brown has down recently- especially when the league is comprised of hundreds of other dudes that probably had very similar situations growing up. The dude just seems like he never matured at all beyond the first time he started to get coddled as an athlete post his obviously ****** childhood.
It's not an excuse, it's context to put into perspective his disposition.

Different situations affect people differently, just because others may have had similar things happen to them doesn't mean that they all would react or respond to it the same way. Some things sit with people their entire lives & takes them a long time to deal with. Some people use different methods to deal with their childhood trauma, some people are impacted both negatively & positively by the adversity they had to face.

AB is crazy, but considering the sh*t he had to persevere through to get to where he is in life most would be just as crazy as him, if they even survived. He & his Dad are good now, but you never know the type of sh*t that can do to a kid & how long it may stay with them.

People aren't robots, there's no one size fits all when it comes to this stuff, AB is just someone that has things magnified on him because he leaves himself open to criticism because he doesn't do things like everybody else.

tbh, i just think AB wants to skip camp lol. i don't blame him. he's a vet, camp is dumb. look at AJ green and camp.

He doesnt want to do camp. He works hard in the off season...so he is trying to get out of it honestly lol. I dont pay the story no mind because thats all it is.

Haha. I was thinking the same initially but with his feet falling off due to the cryo frostbite it wasn't even like he was even going to be doing that much. It was just another bad look after he was so public with fake love affair with David Carr immediately after his signing too. His issue was/is with the NFL not the Raiders.

Advertisement
Anyone know how we landed Allen Bailey the d-linemen under Randy Shannon? Did he really grow from linebacker to DT?

Anyone know how we landed Allen Bailey the d-linemen under Randy Shannon? Did he really grow from linebacker to DT?
I remember him playing LB in HS highlights but he didn't look like a college LB. He's a lineman all the way. Don't really understand/remember the Bailey recruitment but Bailey was not a typical Georgia kid. He lived on the offshore islands. Stayed with his coach's family during the week, commuted on the ferry back and forth to Sapelo Island on the weekends.

Only other player I remember from the islands was the legendary Jim Brown who came from Jekyll Island. I think Brown moved to Long Island in HS to live with relatives.

Somebody here might remember more about Bailey's recruitment.

Unfortunately loss of old Grassy boards means discussion of his recruitment probably no longer exists. I remember a lot of threads during his recruitment but that was long before this board started.

Had seen the phrase Ma or mama dukes before but never paid it much attention. This time I looked up its meaning.

As a middle-class white guy it's not something I would necessarily know.

If this kid has no adults to be there for him, and his ma dukes doesn't give him any support, the kid must really have it rough.

Some of us just can't even know what some of these kids have to go through.

I remember reading a story a year or so ago about HS football in Dade. Some street agent or mentor had a bunch of kids all living in a house together while still in HS. So foreign to my experience that a lot of us can't even imagine how rough it must be coming up.

Advertisement
Pretty quick read.

It’s written by a LeBatard acolyte though...

Had seen the phrase Ma or mama dukes before but never paid it much attention. This time I looked up its meaning.

As a middle-class white guy it's not something I would necessarily know.

If this kid has no adults to be there for him, and his ma dukes doesn't give him any support, the kid must really have it rough.

Some of us just can't even know what some of these kids have to go through.

I remember reading a story a year or so ago about HS football in Dade. Some street agent or mentor had a bunch of kids all living in a house together while still in HS. So foreign to my experience that a lot of us can't even imagine how rough it must be coming up.

You have no clue man. I’m a white middle class guy who played major D-1 ball and when I tell you I had a teammate who slept on a washer and dryer because they had no foundation in the house, I’m dead serious. It was a structure on dirt and when it rained, it flooded inside. Society has no idea as a whole.

You have no clue man. I’m a white middle class guy who played major D-1 ball and when I tell you I had a teammate who slept on a washer and dryer because they had no foundation in the house, I’m dead serious. It was a structure on dirt and when it rained, it flooded inside. Society has no idea as a whole.
You're right. I have no clue. I didn't play major Div-1 ball, so I wouldn't have been exposed to what you were. In fact, at my age, most public high schools were still segregated so there were kids whose parents were of modest means, but they were white. I knew of nobody whose living circumstances were anywhere near what you describe.

Advertisement
Back