Social media culture has to change with the players and coaches

What happened with Perry?

He posted a video getting intimate with a female. It was clearly an accident and it was swiftly deleted. It is more common than you think (ie: Draymond Green). He needs to be more responsible, of course, but everyone needs to realize it's the world we live in today. Nothing is going to come of it, people are reaching.

Advertisement
He posted a video getting intimate with a female. It was clearly an accident and it was swiftly deleted. It is more common than you think (ie: Draymond Green). He needs to be more responsible, of course, but everyone needs to realize it's the world we live in today. Nothing is going to come of it, people are reaching.

Idk about snap, but When you have 20k+ followers 10-20 minutes isnt exactly "swift." Kids these days are addicted to social media and check it multiple times an hour (yes an hour). It was up long enough for someone to screen grab it (like a screenshot but a video for you oldtimers) and permeate through all of greeklife and most of the student body. The only reason Kosi isn't in massive trouble with the University is because you can't see the girls face.
Kosi and all players should have been given in-depth Social Media training on how to A- prevent these situations and B- use their social media profiles to extend their reach and use it as the tool it is. The fact that a 20-year-old man who is aware of his high profile status is pulling these stunts is unacceptable. If a 20 year old is responsible enough to join the military or manage 10-20 million dollars at a finance internship, it is reasonable to expect that same 20 year old knows not to post this kind of shi* on his social media.

Idk about snap, but When you have 20k+ followers 10-20 minutes isnt exactly "swift." Kids these days are addicted to social media and check it multiple times an hour (yes an hour). It was up long enough for someone to screen grab it (like a screenshot but a video for you oldtimers) and permeate through all of greeklife and most of the student body. The only reason Kosi isn't in massive trouble with the University is because you can't see the girls face.
Kosi and all players should have been given in-depth Social Media training on how to A- prevent these situations and B- use their social media profiles to extend their reach and use it as the tool it is. The fact that a 20-year-old man who is aware of his high profile status is pulling these stunts is unacceptable. If a 20 year old is responsible enough to join the military or manage 10-20 million dollars at a finance internship, it is reasonable to expect that same 20 year old knows not to post this kind of shi* on his social media.

As a "kid (23)" I'm well aware of how often people are refreshing. Also, of course this is an issue and it should be addressed, but people saying "he gone" are reaching. Like you said, the girl's face wasn't in the video, his face wasn't either. He will get a stern talking to and everyone will forget (if they even know) like every other social media "scandal."

According to my nephew, who follows almost everyone on LSU, Miami, Bama, and other recognizable college players, Miami is the only where:

- Sexual content is posted for all followers to see
- Sexually suggestive content is commonly posted for everyone to see
- Whining about playing time and threats of transferring are posted for everyone to see
- Trash talking not even being close to being backed up is posted for everyone to see

In his words “the team looks like a bunch of b*tches compared to everyone else”

Well, I certainly can't argue with your nephew...

Good god, man. Let's just agree to disagree. I'll stick with the fact that Perry's social media posts have revealed a problematic immaturity, something which he unquestionably does not need due to his situation re trying to be Miami's starting QB and the fact many people (fairly or not) have been questioning his focus on football for much of the past year. You continue making excuses for him. All good.

I'm not sure where I excused it. I even stated I can't defend it.

All I have said is he is no different than other players. Call them out too....

Advertisement

Better than flashing wads of money around, at least.

Social media is poison. Rat poison.

Our culture is already feeling the effects of a generation swept up by immersion in these virtual spaces.

I don't know how old many of you are around here, but for my generation as parents and as emerging leaders in our communities it is our duty to try to find a way to effectively deal with the effect it has on our youth. Not just the University of Miami football team but society in total.

I have no idea what the answer is. The easiest path would be to remove social media entirely from existence but obviously that is not at all realistic.

Unfortunately, the University of Miami is not held to the same standards as everyone else by the NCAA.

Remember, a few photos and an illegally acquired statement from a convicted felon that players were treated to boat rides, liquor at clubs, and one abortion were all that was needed for the NCAA to come after Miami with everything they had. The only reason Miami got off "lightly" is because the NCAA tampered with a federal FBI investigation. Meanwhile, Ole Miss had paper trails showing money given to players and the NCAA gave them their scholarships back in less than a year of taking them away.

He IS different from other players. First of all, he's fighting to be the starting QB at the University of Miami. That alone puts him under a heightened microscope. This is compounded by the fact there have been questions about his maturity and focus on football for a long time now. As a result, it is simply unacceptable for HIM to be posting the IG video with stacks of cash wads during that week of all weeks and now posting a *** video for the world to see on Snapchat. It reveals a troubling lack of judgment and maturity. I don't know how you're even arguing this with me, man.

Advertisement
When it comes to this topic during this season, Perry has been very much alone.

In the most high profile position on a cot**** football team too.

I have no idea how Rick handled this the first time with him but if this time is actually true then it's obviously not effective.

When **** potentially like this or the last one happen it should be broadcast in front of the entire team on the big meeting room movie screen. An epic *** ripping should ensue in front of the whole team and then EVERYONE should get to explain how this **** hurts the player individually and the entire program and just how effing stupid it is.

It really doesn't seem that difficult to pound it in to their skulls via public ridicule and peer pressure where the boundaries are on social media. Yeah yeah yeah, they're "kids" but they're also disciplined enough to put in the hours of work to be elite college athletes so they absolutely can be disciplined enough to just not post stupid **** publicly. I'm not even saying you can stop them from doing stupid **** but you should be able to stop them from broadcasting it themselves.

Wasn’t the female another players GF? If so, that’s a bad look.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think it's fun and harmless, if you just use some simple common sense. I guess to N'Kosi, common sense isn't so common.
Problem is, social media has become weaponized. It's a new means to push propaganda.

Advertisement
Back