Sobering QB tweet

Advertisement
"He did whip Joe Louis' ***...
tenor.png

talent evaluation and player development have been poor as well over this 15 season period.

Problem is, most fans don't know what this means. They can't see it on ESPN or have some stat sheet to follow it. They can't measure it so most fans blame the players. They must have all just sucked.

Most of the QBs in this time would have performed well enough in college with a real coach in a real program. No one should care if they make the NFL or not, if they win in college.

Sure, we all would love to have that NFL talent but we should not need an NFL QB to beat FIU. Develop the players we have and beat FIU, win 10+ games and win Coastal and maybe that NFL QB will come.

Boston College -- Matt Ryan
FSU -- Jameis Winston
Clemson -- Deshaun Watson
Wake Forest -- None
Louisville -- Lamar Jackson
NC State -- Ryan Finley
Syracuse -- Ryan Nassib

Duke -- Daniel Jones
UNC -- Mitchell Trubiksy
Virginia Tech -- Tyrod Taylor
Virginia -- Matt Schaub
Georgia Tech -- None
Pitt -- Tom Savage

Miami -- NONE

Again, this isn't some end of the world discussion. Several of those guys weren't great pros (and really not even great college players), but look at the 14 ACC teams since 2004....Miami, Wake Forest, and GT (who ran an offense from 1890) are the only 3 ACC schools to not produce a QB who threw a pass in the NFL. And many of these schools had more than what I listed, these were just guys off the top of my head and then I went and looked up the ones I couldn't think of, which were Wake and GT and sure enough they don't have anyone like we don't.

It's just kinda interesting/crazy and possibly telling that within our own conference, the one we all thought we'd just dominate year after year when we joined, that literally the entire rest of the conference except 2 schools have at least had a guy get a sniff in the NFL, but the closest we've come is an undrafted Stephen Morris and a 6th round Brad Kaaya. I just find that crazy. Doesn't mean this is the only issue, or anything like that. But I think if you told any of us in 2004 that we won't have a single kid for the next 16 years throw a pass in the NFL and 11 of the other 13 ACC teams would, we'd laugh at that notion.

Advertisement
I want to walk first. I’m sick of all this NC talk. We’re so far from that level that all talking about it does is set us up for failure.

String together a few 10-12 win seasons and a few Coastal titles, and we will get recruiting momentum turned in the right direction. That’s completely doable with the level of talent we’ve been able to sign.

We won’t be recruiting at an Alabaga/Clemson top 5 level consistently until we can get out of UVA’s level of record every year. First, we need to get more out of the talent we are acquiring.

I agree with you. There's 2 different points here.

1) Miami - I agree that we just need to be worried about being a 10 win team. I have a good feeling Lashlee & King are the real deal and it happens this year. After losing King on a year rental, having a good QB to take over and a big recruiting class will be crucial to maintain 10 win consistency. I think we'll still need a QB that can stay in the league more than 1-2 years, even if they're not a starter, or more overall talent.

2) From an National Championship perspective - I agree we shouldn't be thinking about Miami in NC terms. We're not even close. But for NC level teams, QB is crucial.

1990 - 2002 - The highest a NC winning QB was drafted was in the 3rd Round
2003 - 2019 - 11 of the last 17 NC teams had a 1st Round QB.

The days of winning a NC without a big time QB are now rare. The passing game is so much more important now. Not just having a big time QB, but also a big time WR is becoming almost necessary.

McElroy, McCarron, Sims and Coker have killed it in the nfl.

This shows how hard it is to find a good QB.

Alabama has the biggest bags, the best coach, and the best recruiting.

But Tua will be the first Alabama QB drafted in the first 4 rounds in the 13 years that Saban has been there. Finding a good QB is the hardest thing to do.

And Alabama can get away with lesser QB play because they've always got 6+ 1st Round picks on their team every year.

Last edited:
But yet the fools on this board expect us to play for a national championship every year. NO QB, No Punter, No Kicker. **** O Coordinator, how in the world was this man expected to win. Now there are no excuses to meet Clemson.

We've had QBs that can win college games...just never the combo of a good HC, OC, and DC at the same **** time to maximize the team as a whole. NFL doesn't matter either because bums throw passes every year in that league and Heisman winners go undrafted.

Advertisement
I want to walk first. I’m sick of all this NC talk. We’re so far from that level that all talking about it does is set us up for failure.

String together a few 10-12 win seasons and a few Coastal titles, and we will get recruiting momentum turned in the right direction. That’s completely doable with the level of talent we’ve been able to sign.

We won’t be recruiting at an Alabaga/Clemson top 5 level consistently until we can get out of UVA’s level of record every year. First, we need to get more out of the talent we are acquiring.

Thank you! But this is apart of holding on to the Glory Years.

I need to qualify a statement I made during last season: I wasn’t upset that Diaz said this was a rebuild; I was upset that he changed the narrative and perception once he couldn’t back his talk, and I was upset w fans who were gobbling that chit up like Diaz haven’t been here for 4 yrs and wasn’t apart of the cultural problem or became all of sudden naively unaware when his team looked unprepared every f’ing week.

We are a rebuild. We have a loser’s mentality. We have a talk to talk, but not walk it, mentality. So I’m not sure where we go from 6-7 (really we were much closer to a 4-8 team), to national championship contenders b/c we have a new OC, like 16 yrs haven’t existed. Lol

I’m with you, Chise....let’s walk before we can even power walk. Can we first start stringing off at least 10+ wins consistently, or winning the Lake View division consistently, first, before talking about CFP and National Championships? Lol.

Not that this is a surprise, but it just caused me to do a double take. Guess I just hadn’t really thought about it like this, but ****, we really need to be better at the most important position in sports.

Mr. King, show us whatcha got

giphy.gif

Problem is, most fans don't know what this means. They can't see it on ESPN or have some stat sheet to follow it. They can't measure it so most fans blame the players. They must have all just sucked.

Most of the QBs in this time would have performed well enough in college with a real coach in a real program. No one should care if they make the NFL or not, if they win in college.

Sure, we all would love to have that NFL talent but we should not need an NFL QB to beat FIU. Develop the players we have and beat FIU, win 10+ games and win Coastal and maybe that NFL QB will come.
its crazy the number of players who arrive and have their best year as FR, then flat line. we see other staffs develop players and they get better.I look at Oline as developmental as it can take 2,3 years to get a solid Lineman, let alone the pros! You are correct with NFL comment to many players come to Miami thinking a brief stop to NFL riches.
my thoughts on development are in line with yours as the days of sweeping in 5* players are gone. give me a bunch of guys who want to learn and will compete to the death in college . sometimes i think the group that Butch put together was blessing and a curse ........ curse being the entitled attitude that seems prevalent lately with guys declaring early to be 3-6th round choices are worse yet UDFA.....

I'm optimistic. If DVD turns out to be as good as we think he is, King + DVD give us 4 straight years of high level QB play, which will absolutely translate into 10+ wins a season. String together that type of run, with the recruiting classes that come with it, we're talking a legit national contender again by DVD's last year with us.

Advertisement
But yet the fools on this board expect us to play for a national championship every year. NO QB, No Punter, No Kicker. **** O Coordinator, how in the world was this man expected to win. Now there are no excuses to meet Clemson.
Still not an excuse in the world to lose to FIU, GT, Duke, and even LT. None.

If DVD turns out to be as good as we think he is,

Do you mean TVD?

I don't know what you guys are talking about this 15 year deal. Steve Walsh is the last guy I can think of that started an NFL game. That was 1988. Dorsey is the basic good enough college QB needed that does not make it into the pros. Can we at least get an XFL QB in the next 10 years?

Advertisement
Do you mean TVD?

I don't know what you guys are talking about this 15 year deal. Steve Walsh is the last guy I can think of that started an NFL game. That was 1988. Dorsey is the basic good enough college QB needed that does not make it into the pros. Can we at least get an XFL QB in the next 10 years?

Craig Erickson started a lot of games for the Bucs, Colts, and some for the Dolphins in the mid-90’s. But the last championship Miami QB to start in the NFL was Dorsey. He started games for the 49ers and Browns from about ‘04 to ‘08. He went 0-3 as the Browns starter in ‘08. Do the math. That’s 11 straight NFL seasons without a UM QB starting an NFL game.

You get what you drop "bags" for
There are a ton of high quality college QBs who went pro that were not highly touted. The real question is when is the last time we’ve developed a good quarterback and he became great. No disrespect intended but we’re always screaming bags when the truth is we haven’t done a good job of developing our players. Bags aren’t going anywhere!

Advertisement
Back