So You Want a Savage DC? Part III: Tubby's Descendants

FullyERicht

Thunderdome
In Part I I discussed Don Brown and my overall interests in a DC. Part II discussed Dave Aranda.

Part III is dedicated to 3 coaches who directly or indirected are descendants of the 4-3 Cover 4 defense that Tommy Tuberville ran here. A little history here first:

Jimmy Johnson's base defense was 4-3 Cover 2, which you can read about in ghost's post here. However, his playbook wasn't restricted to one coverage. They also coached Cover 3, cover 1, Cover 2 man, and two types of Quarters coverage. JJ's disciples adopted the various coverages that they liked best. Butch ran a lot more Cover 3. Wannstedt (and his disciple Randy) based out of Cover 2 man. Tommy Tuberville chose Cover 4 (Quarters) as his base defense.

So what makes Tubbs version special/relevant? Well it's the exact defense that playoff bound Michigan State has used for years. Pat Narduzzi, now at Pitt, brought this D to MSU has no shame admitting it: "I went to a clinic in 1992 at Miami, led by Tommy Tuberville, and we just ran that defense ever since" is a direct quote.

The crux of the 4-3 Over Cover 4 defense is that the safeties are critically involved in both the run and pass: if the safeties get a run read, they scream down into the box. The safety to the run side is the force player, the safety to the back side is a cutback player (making sure nothing reverses and gets around him to the other side). As a result, the LBs can play extremely aggressively chasing the ball carrier without being concerned with cutback, and you get 9 men to the box. Safeties align only 10 yards off the ball!

If the safeties get a pass read, their job is to play man/man coverage on the second widest receiver on their side, unless that receiver runs a route shorter than 7 or so yards. The CBs have this same rule on deep routes of the #1 receiver. This means if you get 4 deep routes, it is for all intents and purposes, man to man by all the DBs, like Cover 0, with no help over the top. It's extremely aggressive, high-risk high reward. The LBs play shallow zones, covering all the short routes.

Now obviously Pat Narduzzi is at Pitt as HC. But MSU currently uses a dual-DC format. Their DBs coach, Harlan Barnett, and their LBs coach Mike Tressel, share the duties. Both are rookie DCs. Both have been with Dantonio for years. Barnett's first major gig was as a GA under Saban when LSU won a title. Tressel, the nephew of Jim Tressel, worked under Jim and Dantonio with the OSU team that "beat" us.

MSU's defense has been at the top of college ball for years now. With that said, they took a small step back this year, just outside the top 10. Hiring coaches with little experience makes me skeptical, but either of those cats would make excellent hires IMO.

The third choice, is the man who led the defense for Tubbs' 2004 Auburn undefeated team, which featured the #1 scoring and #4 total defense in the nation. That man was Gene Chizik. Chizik is currently UNC's DC. His defense hasn't seen the type of dominant turnaround you would dream of in one season, but there is no question the man can coach defense.

In Part 4 i'll talk some of the big names I dont want, and who I'd prefer most of the candidates mentioned.

Advertisement
What's so beautiful about Over Quarters is it is simple . Allows your kids to play fast, but also very fundamentally sound, but you gotta have some DUDES at Corner. A lot of times the corners will be playing man on #1 . You can very between press(take away quick game, but tough against solid and fast WRs at deep balls), Press Bail (show press to discourage quick game, and bail to get cushion over top) or Off Man( show cushion, and make them throw short). The run fits however must be spot on. LBs, Safeties and DE's all have to be on the same page where they are sending the ball. IMO it's the best defense for a team like Miami, let their DUDES ball!

Advertisement
If I'm reading this correctly, this is the type of defense most dependent on athletic superiority. You'd need the horses up front to apply constant pressure and dictate to the offense, but you'd also need freaks on the back end to diagnose plays quickly or make up for it with speed when plays are misdiagnosed. Is that right?

If I'm reading this correctly, this is the type of defense most dependent on athletic superiority. You'd need the horses up front to apply constant pressure and dictate to the offense, but you'd also need freaks on the back end to diagnose plays quickly or make up for it with speed when plays are misdiagnosed. Is that right?

Yes and no. MSU has had like one or 2 NFL kids on their team the last 5 years. It's more about recruiting speed and coaching the kids up to do their jobs. B/C the system is simple, it allows kids to play fast. Obviously they also do the same JJ type thing where kids who are Safeties in HS get moved to OLB, OLBs to DE, etc etc.

They make it work b/c instead of wasting time trying to compete with the Michigans and Bamas for big Nose Tackles and stud OLB/rusher types, they recruit talented fast kids and find a home for them.

Advertisement
Not sure how Richt would feel about going the unproven route for his DC hire, but Jeremy Pruitt had only been a college coach for 4 years when Richt brought him to UGA. And only 1 of those years was as DC. He was a national champion DC, but still, only 1 year as DC ...

Seriously ...

Who actually calls the defense for Michigan State?

And how involved is Dantonio is designing and coaching the D?

Thing with any coverage, is yeah, it's cool to know what they take away, but you better know what you're givin' up. If one of your 1/4 Safeties gets a run read, you better have a helluva CB that can take away the post...check the field day Rudolph had against Syracuse I think it was, KILT em' with the post game.

The thing with quarters safeties is they are coached don't GO unless you see the ball being handed. There are tons of quarter "beater" routes , as there for 3 , 2 , and man. Matter of fact, the only TD Iowa scored against Michigan State was a quarters killer; Post by 1 and Deep out by 2. But, as a coach you should know what your weaknesses are schematically and coach the heck out of it. If it's something they are constantly beating you with or you know they will run, it's a chess match on calls between the OC and DC. But IMO, Over Quarters is the way to go for any defense in today's college game as a base.

Thing with any coverage, is yeah, it's cool to know what they take away, but you better know what you're givin' up. If one of your 1/4 Safeties gets a run read, you better have a helluva CB that can take away the post...check the field day Rudolph had against Syracuse I think it was, KILT em' with the post game.

Yes the Corners are on islands. The idea though is to coach your safeties to flat foot read. If they get play action, with the #2 blocking, they get underneath the post of #1 . CB stays on top of #1 no matter what.

Also, the backside safety also can help on the post, so long as he too isn't sucked up by play action.

If both your safeties are constantly biting on #2 blocking, you aren't coaching them very well, as that is the single most important elemnt of the defense.

Advertisement
NEFL is absolutely right.

They also have adjustments to deal with two receivers in a close split which they can play against the out by 2 post by 1. It's called Palms, 2-read, or Blue depending on the team. Miami called it Sink under JJ.

Palms should be a base. Takes tons of reps if you want to be successful at it, if not, could be a TD if there is a misread by either safety or corner. Can't play quarters with a change up of palms every now and then. Either palms with a tad a true quarters mixed in, or just straight quarters with other coverages such as 3 or 2

Advertisement
Palms should be a base. Takes tons of reps if you want to be successful at it, if not, could be a TD if there is a misread by either safety or corner. Can't play quarters with a change up of palms every now and then. Either palms with a tad a true quarters mixed in, or just straight quarters with other coverages such as 3 or 2

Says who? Palms/2-read/Blue are quarters. Instead of the out by #2 handled by the OLB, the corner handles it. Safety is over 1, OLB is in the curl. It's just rotating who has which responsibility on an out route by #2 .

Or do you mean it can only be done with split field coverage? Bc TCU does this.

Advertisement
Back