So you wanna savage DC? Part I: Don Brown

FullyERicht

Thunderdome
disclaimer: I believe that your coordinators should be coaches first, not recruiters.

When shopping for an elite coordinator, the best way to do it is locate guys who are getting top 15 results at a lower tier program. If Miami has the money it portends to, none of the coaches in this series should be unreasonable to hire.

I want the next DC to be a man that has a few traits: 1) his scheme must be easy for to grasp 2) his scheme must emphasize speed over size 3) If his defense only works with 5+ NFL players on it, I'm not interested.

The first guy I'm going to cover is Boston College's Don Brown.

Brown is a greybeard. He's 60 years old. He's from New England. He looks like the ship captain from the movie Jaws. And he's a ******* savage.

Boston College is currently #1 in total Defense, and #4 in scoring Defense. This is his 3rd season at BC, and his team played a schedule that featured Clemson, ND, and FSU. Additionally, he was able to accomplish this with BC having the 122nd and 126th total and scoring offenses in FBS. That is a remarkable job, at a school where his best players will be future lawyers and doctors, not draft picks.

The year before Brown's arrival at BC, the Eagles were 100th in total and 76th in scoring D. By his second season, they were top 15 in both. That speaks of a coach whose scheme is easy to grasp.

Boston College. White guys. I bet you are thinking of this image of some 3-4 2-gap defense. Not even close:

His system is a single gap 4-3 over front defense, and he puts an emphasis on man coverage. The DL gets up the field. Additionally, Brown is an aggressive blitzer. Against FSU, who he held to 14 points, they blitzed well over 50% of the snaps, with man coverage behind it. He cites Buddy Ryan's "46" as a major influence.

The guy reminds me of Sonny Lubick. An older, super experienced coach who isn't afraid to bring pressure. That kind of coach with Miami area talent leads to once in a generation type defense.

edit: BC is 65th in the nation in time of possession, so this is not a case of "possessing the ball inflating the defense. If anyone should be guilty of that, it should be Alabama with their 5th in the nation TOP.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That sumbich also has a winning record as an interim head coach....in baseball. I'm intrigued.

How much of their great defensive numbers have to do with their ball control, clock killing, run first offense?

Advertisement
disclaimer: I believe that your coordinators should be coaches first, not recruiters.

When shopping for an elite coordinator, the best way to do it is locate guys who are getting top 15 results at a lower tier program. If Miami has the money it portends to, none of the coaches in this series should be unreasonable to hire.

I want the next DC to be a man that has a few traits: 1) his scheme must be easy for to grasp 2) his scheme must emphasize speed over size 3) If his defense only works with 5+ NFL players on it, I'm not interested.

The first guy I'm going to cover is Boston College's Don Brown.

Brown is a greybeard. He's 60 years old. He's from New England. He looks like the ship captain from the movie Jaws. And he's a ******* savage.

Boston College is currently #1 in total Defense, and #4 in scoring Defense. This is his 3rd season at BC, and his team played a schedule that featured Clemson, ND, and FSU. Additionally, he was able to accomplish this with BC having the 122nd and 126th total and scoring offenses in FBS. That is a remarkable job, at a school where his best players will be future lawyers and doctors, not draft picks.

The year before Brown's arrival at BC, the Eagles were 100th in total and 76th in scoring D. By his second season, they were top 15 in both. That speaks of a coach whose scheme is easy to grasp.

Boston College. White guys. I bet you are thinking of this image of some 3-4 2-gap defense. Not even close:

His system is a single gap 4-3 over front defense, and he puts an emphasis on man coverage. The DL gets up the field. Additionally, Brown is an aggressive blitzer. Against FSU, who he held to 14 points, they blitzed well over 50% of the snaps, with man coverage behind it. He cites Buddy Ryan's "46" as a major influence.

The guy reminds me of Sonny Lubick. An older, super experienced coach who isn't afraid to bring pressure. That kind of coach with Miami area talent leads to once in a generation type defense.

Excellent work, Fully!

How much of their great defensive numbers have to do with their ball control, clock killing, run first offense?

They have a terrible offense, and their Time of possession average this year was 30:26, to put that in perspective, Alabamas average time was 33.53, the Gators had a 31:36 average TOP .

I'd be very happy with this guy for our DC.

Good to see my man, Don Brown, getting some traction. This dude would be the perfect hire for us. We would take immediate ownership of the ACC with him at DC and Richt running the offense.

Double his salary and make him say no. Someone get this name and his production too Richt.

Advertisement

LOLOL I'm SO glad you brought this up, bc Boston College is 65th in the Nation in TOP. Just slightly less than the Miami Hurricanes.

Alabama and Stanford, two teams who everyone would praise for their brilliant defenses without questioning TOP are both top 5 in TOP. So to answer your question, their numbers have little to do with controlling the football, b/c they don't control the football.

Well considering they are one of the worst teams in terms of total yards on offense, they're defense is probably on the field a lot...so I'm not sure how what you say makes any sense

I also believe your cordinators don't need to recruit. Give me elite coaches leading their side.

Don is a no brainer.

Advertisement

Well considering they are one of the worst teams in terms of total yards on offense, they're defense is probably on the field a lot...so I'm not sure how what you say makes any sense

I was legitimately curious. I didn't have any numbers in front of me and I know Addazio's rep in respect to power running football.

Just looked him up. Interesting prospect for sure, but he's 60 years old and has spent his entire career in the northeast. Doubt he comes here.

IMO you'll see a DC hire similar to John Lovett.

Just looked him up. Interesting prospect for sure, but he's 60 years old and has spent his entire career in the northeast. Doubt he comes here.

IMO you'll see a DC hire similar to John Lovett.

That would be a total flameout given the importance of a great DC hire and a budget that I suspect is likely $1M for a DC. Brown's probably making $400K tops at BC. I'd make him say no to $1M. Larranaga spent his whole life in the NE too. Working out well for him down here.

Advertisement
My only concern is he has coached in the Northeast his entire career - he may not be interested in moving.

image.jpg

Last edited:
We've had too many coaches that can recruit but not coach. I'm all for coaching first right now. We've missed that and when you see programs like Washington State, with 2 and 3 stars, doing well because Leach can coach, it shows what good coaching with the talent we get here can probably do.

Advertisement
Back