So y'all gonna act like Miami don't have a JUCO now?

The State of Florida doesn't allow JUCO football at any institution I thought?

Who says they're going to play any games, at least against any real JUCO in Florida? They'll probably go travel up north and play some teams around the northeast, you know, kind of like the old barnstorming baseball teams, while the rest of the world is in real school during the fall.

Advertisement
We need this like a hole-in-the-head. I doubt that this is a legitimate school. I was skeptical when I read over the ASA website from the original Brooklyn campus. It's like a business-technical-computing "college",the type that used to teach shorthand and keypunch and typing and called itself a college. They would get all kinds of money from the govt for their crap courses, particularly for veterans. That's what this ASA looks like. Now, they somehow get themselves called a "junior college" or "community college" but I doubt that it's legit like Miami-Dade, not that M-D is a great academic institution, but it meets certain requirements. Now, this ASA probably manages to get themselves accredited somehow, but it's not like it should be called a real college. I'd be ashamed to go to a school like UM (or anywhere) and have a degree that represented, in part, credits transferred from a place like this. It's like the Champagnat of colleges.

You can all yell at me, and I'm sure there will be a lot of temptation to take all these marginal kids who pass through, and we'll see our competition load up on these kids, but I don't see this as any kind of positive development when the U is trying to go in the opposite direction and have good academics with outstanding football. It doesn't have to be a choice. We should be pushing for the competition to maintain standards, not lower them to accept kids who are being passed through simply to play football. By the way, I'm not a UM alum, but I would like to think college football has to reflect the lowest common denominator in academics. If that's what people want, maybe we should just drop the college and have the football team.

Well the U has moderate to good academics coupled with mediocre football. How's that plan working out?

Take the **** jucos and shut your hole.

Sometimes Jesus gives you a pie on the platter, and your job is to say 'thank you sir.

We need this like a hole-in-the-head. I doubt that this is a legitimate school. I was skeptical when I read over the ASA website from the original Brooklyn campus. It's like a business-technical-computing "college",the type that used to teach shorthand and keypunch and typing and called itself a college. They would get all kinds of money from the govt for their crap courses, particularly for veterans. That's what this ASA looks like. Now, they somehow get themselves called a "junior college" or "community college" but I doubt that it's legit like Miami-Dade, not that M-D is a great academic institution, but it meets certain requirements. Now, this ASA probably manages to get themselves accredited somehow, but it's not like it should be called a real college. I'd be ashamed to go to a school like UM (or anywhere) and have a degree that represented, in part, credits transferred from a place like this. It's like the Champagnat of colleges.

You can all yell at me, and I'm sure there will be a lot of temptation to take all these marginal kids who pass through, and we'll see our competition load up on these kids, but I don't see this as any kind of positive development when the U is trying to go in the opposite direction and have good academics with outstanding football. It doesn't have to be a choice. We should be pushing for the competition to maintain standards, not lower them to accept kids who are being passed through simply to play football. By the way, I'm not a UM alum, but I would like to think college football has to reflect the lowest common denominator in academics. If that's what people want, maybe we should just drop the college and have the football team.

This whole post is a big, steaming, pile of ****.

A handful of marginal kids isn't gonna turn Miami into Marshall.

Release your ****** juice elsewhere. School is what u make of it anywhere.

Advertisement

Well the U has moderate to good academics coupled with mediocre football. How's that plan working out?

Take the **** jucos and shut your hole.

Sometimes Jesus gives you a pie on the platter, and your job is to say 'thank you sir.

Never said don't take the Jucos. I love Jucos. We've had plenty of great Jucos: Cortez Kennedy, Eddie Brown, Jerome McDougle, Geoff Torretta, etc My problem is, this school is not even a legitimate Juco, from what I can see. I've studied the ASA website from NY. I don't even know how it got accreditation. It's a computer school that later on added a few other lines of courses. If you added football to Miami-Dade and the other public Jucos in Florida, I'd be fine with it. I'd love to see a statewide system of Juco football like California has. Many of the best programs in California thrive on Jucos, using kids that come up from schools with legitimate academics. I'm not sure this private school has that or can even support it. USC uses California Jucos, I think even Stanford recruits some.

I don't see ASA as being in the same category of being a minimally adequate school academically. And for those who respond with vile attacks, like about "****** juice," and **** like that. F U! I've been a fan of UM football since long before you were born, most likely, so don't lecture me about what I can do with my "hole." You were not even swimming in ****** juice in someone's hole when I was sitting in the Orange Bowl watching the great stars of our illustrious history (which started, incidentally, long before 1983).

By the way, I think UM can have very good academics with NC caliber competitive football. It makes it tougher, and I never said take no kids from this ASA if it materializes, but I think for us to think this is going to be a great feeder, I would say you're being unduly optimistic. Most likely, a good many of the kids--like many of the Juco kids now--will not even be admittable to UM even after two years at Juco. I've been watching this for many years, since Prop 48 and the tightening of standards in the mid-80's, and so many kids we sent away to Juco never came back. Why? They just couldn't hack it--period. They were terrible academically coming out of HS--and were just as awful after two years. So many kids--some who come to mind: Joey Veargis, Willie Williams (the WR/QB from Houston, not the LB), Nakia Jenkins, etc. Now, I can't say these particular kids were still terrible after Juco--but I know that we never expected to see them again--and we didn't. When we sent them to Juco, we usually knew they weren't coming back. I used to hear--and I had pretty good sources then--that Jimmy Johnson was fed up with Prop 48's--since they were such a problem when they got onto campus for a number of reasons--and I think they were very very reluctant to rely much on Jucos. They only saw Jucos as a last-gasp measure when we had a big hole to fill--just like we have had this past year with DT. Don't expect to rely heavily on Jucos to build this program, it's just not the answer, and we're not likely to benefit much from a school (ASA) that seems so marginal academically.

It's funny, I remember confronting Tad Foote before the 1988 OB, the one where we won the NC against Oklahoma, and I must have been insulting, arguing that we were going to sacrifice football for academics! I made the same accusation to the president of the U about what he might be doing that people are accusing me of advocating. In retrospect, I think I was rude and presumptuous--and I was even drunk. I don't even think I should have said anything since I'm not an alum, just a big supporter of athletics and hung around with many alums. Since I started my finger in his face, we won three more NCs, in 1989, '91 and '01. We've come close to a few more. I don't think the reason we haven't won more is academics--it might be one factor, but not the major factor. We've had a lot more--just look at all the complaints here about Shannon, Coker, D'Onofrio, etc., and you can find a million reasons. You can go back to Dennis Erickson, whatever.

Last edited:
ASA was passing out flyers and brochures at OUR spring game.....their hc watched the game a few feet away from me

@Matador even if your argument displayed circular reasoning i wouldn't have called you out. You like, many others have done and will continue to do, just used the board to vent and hear your self think aloud. No one is questioning your fanhood just how you express it in this case is annoying and not adding value for anyone (except perhaps yourself psychologically). Its important to keep friends in check when they step out of line. Since your a fellow cane, I am just doing my part. I appreciate all you f'ers as we are bonded through our passion for the U and its football team. Anyway I dont consider ****** juice to be vile. It was just a creative analogy to help you understand your behavior and how it is perceived by others. If we get one contributor from ASA it is a success. If one person utilizes the school as a second chance and leverages the opportunity to open more doors it is a success.

Advertisement
From afar ASA sounds like baby Strayer 2.0. /shrugs Corporations are hiring people with specific skill sets and are less concerned about the traditional education models that for example includes the humanities. Consequently, many universities are re-organizing non-stem programs - merging them in some cases and cutting them entirely in other instances. Where I used to work the university cut the entire art department and anthropology and came with in a hair's breath of cutting away the philosophy department. They are merging history and political science and perhaps sociology.

Take a peep at Boeings' HR page. They are paying near six figure salaries for AA degree holders who know how to use 3D modeling software they learned at a CC. Kids are facing runaway tuition costs at traditional colleges/universities at the same time that industry needs a labor force with very specific technical skills that they can acquire for a lot less money at a CC. I believe Miami Dade College is the largest public institution in the nation. That has a lot to do with the changes we're seeing. The same is true with the rise of Strayer and the growth of ASA. These institutions have identified the specific needs industry is looking for and they offer those skills.

Looks like ASA has just tacked on a football team to what they do, and why not football is big business. And so you'll know, as an academic I know full well the importance of having a rich liberal arts education and support that concept, but I can also see that a new education model has taken hold - one that industry is driving.

And no UM isn't about to close its doors or take on a community college model. However, my point is that ASA and Strayer and the like are here to stay and that they do have value. Especially as an alternative to a traditional education track.

I read it was being shut down cause they dont have the money to travel to play the other schools and schools dont have the money to travel to them to play.

It's funny, I remember confronting Tad Foote before the 1988 OB, the one where we won the NC against Oklahoma, and I must have been insulting, arguing that we were going to sacrifice football for academics! I made the same accusation to the president of the U about what he might be doing that people are accusing me of advocating. In retrospect, I think I was rude and presumptuous--and I was even drunk. I don't even think I should have said anything since I'm not an alum, just a big supporter of athletics and hung around with many alums.6

Don't be so hard on yourself. Foote was a stuffed self-proclaimed elite. I am an alum and long time, born at Coral Gables Hospital fan, and said much the same to him several times. I would not trade being from THE U for a half-dozen Harvard degrees. My favorite Hurricane game that did not involve beating the gator, was that Cotton Blow destruction on UT. The only way UT could have won the game was if there was some penalty that awarded a score reversal with immediate end of game attached.

I do agree that these new juco thing might not help much. People seem to be under the impression that all our great stars were stupid or bad students. They ignore JJ's outstanding graduation rate and how many guys like Thrill Hill, public enemy #1 for ncaa, left with degrees. Our players love the bad boy image and so do I, but the truth is something different. Hey, did we have some bad boys, sure, but nothing like the press has made out and our illustrious alums have enhanced. Ok, they might have appeared to be bad boys compared to what Coral Gables police use to allow in town, but we are not talking about chain gangs here.

The SEC, FSU, etc are never going to significantly/willingly raise their standards, and that's the competition. You're either a player or you're not. I've talked to enough kids who were qualifiers but could barely speak proper English to come to the conclusion that the entire thing is a gigantic charade. This is, essentially, minor league football for a very high number of these kids, and they wouldn't be allowed near a college if they weren't large/fast. You can throw Stanford out as the exception, but I have a hard time believing they would consistently compete if they were in the deep south.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back