So where has the wildcat gone?

Advertisement
Richt couldn't care less about social media critics. He understands that the elite programs, not the ones that might flash this season or next, the dynasty type programs are the ones that can consistently execute the fundamentals of the game of football. I have no problem with running motion to help a QB recognize coverage, but the people that think we need to do it more to confuse defenses don't understand that a fundamentally sound defense with solid assignment and gap integrity don't give a shlt how many people you have dancing around before the ball is snapped.

I got no problem with a trick play here and there to catch an opponent being overly aggressive and over-pursuing. But there's nothing that can be accomplished with a HB pass that can't be accomplished with a properly executed Play-Action fake when you've set it up by being able to run the ball. Fundamentally, it is the same **** play with the better passer distributing the ball. Neither is worth a **** if the defense isn't sold on the RB's ability to run the football.
Personally, I would have hoped to see the FSU boys doing more dancing around before the snap, particularly that Francois shake-and-boogie he does so well in the locker room. Maybe we would have seen more Harlem Shake by the OLs, all we saw boogyin' in the locker room seemed to be skilled position and maybe some linebackers.

We needed to see some stylin' and profilin' on the field to match that cute, lovely accessory they model on the sideline every now and then. (Seemed more then then now.)

We saw a ton of success last year with DeeJay in the wildcat but we have not ran it one time this year. I don't really understand that.

Unless it has to do with Richts faith in Perry.

Faith in Perry? He emptied the backfield one time in the redzone. F$U brought the band knowing what was coming.

I would love some Deejay wildcat runs on occasion, but Richt needs to turn Kosi loose and live with the results. He stuck with a subpar QB too long because no one else understood his system...

If your going to play the kid, play the kid. If your going to coddle the kid, play Malik.

Again tho...Deejay has heart and fight, and the more touches the better...I'm in.

UM

Worked in more games than that last season if we are being factual.

Not really. Like any gimmick, the more you use it the less effective it becomes. Towards the end of the season anything run out of the wildcat was pretty much a waste of a play. 11 defenders against 10 offensive players.

Advertisement
You're trying to further your anti-Richt agenda

You see, this is the problem.

I don't have an anti Richt agenda...never did. I love Richt and always have. My Mother went to UGA and I have always been a fan. I dreamed of him coming here since Butch left. I even met him once and he was a hero of mine for a long time.

But that's all irrelevant because something that is not even a criticism gets you triggered. The smallest hint suggesting there may be any kind of criticism gets you triggered.

Having said all that, I am not beyond criticizing any coach if I think it is valid. However, not running trick plays is not a criticism by any stretch...at least it shouldn't be.

I would really like you to go back and read my post with a different view and not one where you assume it is a criticism and find fault with anything I said. You seem to be arguing the concept of offensive problems and what constitutes issues with moving the ball. Why? Why does it matter why the issues are there?

Save me the agenda crap. There was nothing even remotely critical with what I wrote. And if you disagree with something I wrote that's fine, you are entitled. But lets have a discussion about it, which I fully welcome, and leave the "agenda" crap to tin foil hat wearing guys.

Last edited:
You see, this is the problem.

I don't have an anti Richt agenda...never did. I love Richt and always have. My Mother went to UGA and I have always been a fan. I dreamed of him coming here since Butch left. I even met him once and he was a hero of mine for a long time.

But that's all irrelevant because something that is not even a criticism gets you triggered. The smallest hint suggesting there may be any kind of criticism gets you triggered.

Having said all that, I am not beyond criticizing any coach if I think it is valid. However, not running trick plays is not a criticism by any stretch...at least it shouldn't be.

I would really like you to go back and read my post with a different view and not one where you assume it is a criticism and find fault with anything I said. You seem to be arguing the concept of offensive problems and what constitutes issues with moving the ball. Why? Why does it matter why the issues are there?

Save me the agenda crap. There was nothing even remotely critical with what I wrote. And if you disagree with something I wrote that's fine, you are entitled. But lets have a discussion about, which I fully welcome, and leave the "agenda" crap to tin foil hat wearing guys.

You're not criticizing the play calling, though. You're criticizing the motivation for the play calling, which you cannot possibly know. Go read @Lance Roffers game reviews. Nearly every play that was called Saturday had a solid chance to be successful, and everyone that didn't was because of a breakdown in execution of the fundamental principles of blocking and playing your assignment.

I'm not at all against fans who want different plays called. I'm not necessarily in favor of it either. The reason for that is that it doesn't matter what you call when the team fails to execute simple blocking and assignment football.

You're not criticizing the play calling, though. You're criticizing the motivation for the play calling, which you cannot possibly know. Go read @Lance Roffers game reviews. Nearly every play that was called Saturday had a solid chance to be successful, and everyone that didn't was because of a breakdown in execution of the fundamental principles of blocking and playing your assignment.

I'm not at all against fans who want different plays called. I'm not necessarily in favor of it either. The reason for that is that it doesn't matter what you call when the team fails to execute simple blocking and assignment football.

I am still not sure how saying a coach only uses trick plays when the O is having difficulties a criticism.

I also used the words "seems" which should clearly imply that it is what it appears to be, not necessarily, what it is. Using "seems" also should tell you I am expressing my opinion and obviously I am not in his head so that should not even be an issue.

I have been highly critical of Mark for the O so I get if you thought I was immediately being critical again (of course that's assuming you gave a rat's *** to anything I said before) , but not calling trick plays is not a play calling criticism. It just isn't.

I am not even sure the OP was really being critical...I think he just wanted to see more of it because it worked in the past.

I am still not sure how saying a coach only uses trick plays when the O is having difficulties a criticism.

I also used the words "seems" which should clearly imply that it is what it appears to be, not necessarily, what it is. Using "seems" also should tell you I am expressing my opinion and obviously I am not in his head so that should not even be an issue.

I have been highly critical of Mark for the O so I get if you thought I was immediately being critical again (of course that's assuming you gave a rat's *** to anything I said before) , but not calling trick plays is not a play calling criticism. It just isn't.

I am not even sure the OP was really being critical...I think he just wanted to see more of it because it worked in the past.
Look, you seem to be upset over the fact that you believe I am taking issue with your criticism (or whatever you want to call it) of Coach Richt. So upset that you're missing my point entirely.

I really don't care if someone criticizes the coach--any of them. My issue is that you are wrong. Just off the top of my head, we ran the Wildcat with DeeJay while we were up big and running the clock against Notre Dame. We were also winning the Wisconsin game with Dallas in the Wildcat. We opened the 2nd half against GA Tech with an onside kick that wasn't out of desperation, but an effort to maintain the momentum that we had taken into the locker room. This season I've seen a jet sweep to Thomas against Toledo while we were winning and a few reverses in games we never trailed in.

So whether you're being critical or not when you say "Richt only 'seems' to run plays like that out of desperation," is irrelevant to me. I don't know why you would say it if not to be critical, but irrelevant nonetheless. If it "seems" that way to you, you haven't been paying very close attention. I'd bet anything that the reverses run earlier this season were done with the explicit purpose of getting them down on film for FSU so they would bite on the double reverse pass we ran. That's not desperation at all. That's playing chess and setting up your opponent three moves in advance.

And again, just to emphasize my original point, that play failed because of poor execution. The defender running with Homer had no idea where the ball was or who had it. A better throw and it's 6.

When we struggle it's almost always due to a failure to execute the play rather than the play itself. It's laziness for the critics to come out after every game and suggest that calling different plays would have led to different results when you can look at every failed play and point to a major instance of someone not executing their assignment that led to the play result.

Advertisement
He also called a double reverse to Pope(i believe) when they were already up big against FIU.

Advertisement
Back