So where has the wildcat gone?

Yes, he was having trouble running the ball and used those plays to generate some type of running game. Has nothing to do with the score...only his desperation to move the ball.
Leading up to Dallas coming out of the Wildcat, Miami had 6 runs for 41 yards. I don’t think that’s trouble moving the ball. He wasn’t desperate...

Advertisement
A little louder for the people in back.

Just because DeeJay was listed as a QB in high school, doesn't mean he actually was one. That team was DeeJay gon' runnit offense.

People just like to see cornball crap like that because it gets them excited to see something different. The wildcat was an interesting concept 12 years ago because most teams hadn't seen it and had no idea how to defend it. It's old hat now and most teams have moved away from it besides rare occasions.

Leading up to Dallas coming out of the Wildcat, Miami had 6 runs for 41 yards. I don’t think that’s trouble moving the ball. He wasn’t desperate...

Yeah, and mostly by the QB. It is easy to list the stats without any context. There were several stuffs by ND....

But why is this even a discussion?

Some are responding that he should not run the Wildcat any way. Only the OP was asking where it was...I simply stated he doesn't use it as part of his O and only when desperate to move the ball.

Why would this trigger Richt defenders. He doesn't use something you don't want him using anyway....

Yeah, and mostly by the QB. It is easy to list the stats without any context. There were several stuffs by ND....

Some are responding that he should not run the Wildcat any way. Only the OP was asking where it was...I simply stated he doesn't use it as part of his O and only when desperate to move the ball.

Why would this trigger Richt defenders. He doesn't use something you don't want him using anyway....
It’s a small sample size. Homer had 2 carries for 13 yards so idk what you are trying to defend saying they struggled to move the ball leading up to Dallas coming in. Just let it go and wait to see if he decides to run the wildcat later on this season.

Advertisement
I'll say this, there were a good number of plays last Saturday where Perry would have done well to take off and run. I don't know if those were all predetermined runs or if some were read option plays between Homer and Perry but there were probably 5-6 times when Perry keeping would have solid yardage. My guess is that Richt didn't want Perry running too much against FSU.

seeing as how they tried for kill shots and whatever underhanded crap they could all game, i would guess the same.

It’s a small sample size. Homer had 2 carries for 13 yards so idk what you are trying to defend saying they struggled to move the ball leading up to Dallas coming in. Just let it go and wait to see if he decides to run the wildcat later on this season.

So you just didn't like the word desperate? Would you feel better if I said when he has slight issues with moving the ball?

I have been following Mark for years...it is the way he is and the sample size is larger than just these two games.

I don't care if he runs it or not. I would rather he never bothers to use it unless Perry has 6 TDs and is sitting on the bench.

But whatever, it is not even a criticism...it is just the way he is...does not use trick plays much. Not sure why this triggers people.

Last edited:
I'll say this, there were a good number of plays last Saturday where Perry would have done well to take off and run. I don't know if those were all predetermined runs or if some were read option plays between Homer and Perry but there were probably 5-6 times when Perry keeping would have solid yardage. My guess is that Richt didn't want Perry running too much against FSU.

I think he has scared him from running.

Advertisement
Yes, desperation to move the ball.

First, the HB pass was when it was 27-7 after several punts, sacks, etc.

Fake Jet was when down 7 in the second and is not a trick play by any stretch of the imagination (at least not for all the other FBS teams). Again beyond one or two plays no offense movement at all.

The flea-flicker was 7-7.

But, in all cases when he is having trouble moving the ball is the only time he tries this stuff. He could not move the ball passing or running and in desperation, he tends to resort to trick plays or wildcat.

Let's not pretend Perry moved the ball up and down the field. There was a big play here and there but three of the four TDs came after a penalty and turnover.
You're trying to further your anti-Richt agenda by implying motive when you can't possibly know what's going through his head when he makes the calls. Just like the morons who say we're predictable because we always run on first down. Go back and watch the FSU game. Before we were protecting a lead, we passed the ball about the same amount of times as we ran the ball on first downs.

We failed to move the ball because we failed to execute simple run plays, protect the QB on pass plays, and missed open receivers when there was adequate protection. You don't correct poor execution with more complex play design.

We weren't failing to move the ball. We failed to move the ball consistently because of poor execution--mostly along the offensive line. Those inside zones everyone hates? We ripped off sever of those for over 5 yards...some even on first down. The problem was that for every one that was executed correctly and resulted in positive gains, there'd be a breakdown in protection on the very next play.

It's not a problem with the play call when a guard gets blown back into the RB's lap. It's not a problem with the play call when a tackle lets the end around without getting even a hand on him. It's not a problem with the play call when the RB misses a blitz pick up. It's not a problem with the play call when the QB misses wide open receivers, or doesn't even see them to begin with.

These are execution errors, and we make far too many of them to be a consistently effective offense--no matter what **** plays you call.

I really dislike the Wildcat. I guess it has an occasional use but when you line up with a running back at the QB position and a quarterback split wide, you're essentially playing 10 men against 11. It's also a blatant run formation unless you have a RB who can actually throw well (not just a lob to a wide open player). It worked for a couple of series against ND but every time after that it was a disaster. I'm just not a gimmick guy and I'd rather see our quarterback taking snaps than our running back.

preach it

as a D coordinator whenever I see that I just audible into an all out blitz

one of these days i'll be wrong and get tricked... on xbox huehuehue

Most of the type of play calls people on here clamor for are designed to confuse and distract under coached, undisciplined teams. It doesn't work against quality opponents who are fundamentally sound with assignment and gap integrity. These "flashy," modern offenses will win about 8 or 9 games per year--10 or 11 if you play in the BIGXII where defense is entirely optional, but they always fail against a fundamentally sound and well coached defense that can even come close to matching talent and skill.

For this reason, almost no perennial playoff contender relies on it more than occasionally. The teams you can beat with window dressing can be beat just as soundly and convincingly with proper execution. But the teams that do not fall sucker for all the gimmicks cannot be beaten unless you properly out execute or flat out talent.

When you realize this as a fact, you will understand why it is almost useless to waste time practicing an offense that only works on some teams when time can better be spent perfecting an offense that works on anyone when properly executed.

Advertisement
I really dislike the Wildcat. I guess it has an occasional use but when you line up with a running back at the QB position and a quarterback split wide, you're essentially playing 10 men against 11. It's also a blatant run formation unless you have a RB who can actually throw well (not just a lob to a wide open player). It worked for a couple of series against ND but every time after that it was a disaster. I'm just not a gimmick guy and I'd rather see our quarterback taking snaps than our running back.
Worked in more games than that last season if we are being factual.

preach it

as a D coordinator whenever I see that I just audible into an all out blitz

one of these days i'll be wrong and get tricked... on xbox huehuehue
That is more or less what the OC would want you to do, because if you "blitz" that formation and end up over pursuing or just get bodied at the LOS the play that was only designed to go 3 and a half yards now goes for much, much more.

Probably right mate. For one Perry weighs 185lbs soaking wet. Secondly, Richt probably saw all the dirty tactics the Semwnhomes were deploying in the game from JT’s take down to crap on the field. Probably didn’t want them taking Perry out of the game and having to then use Rosier, espyduring the comeback.

Advertisement
He called a double reverse flea-flicker, HB option pass, and a jet motion fake sweep counter in a 7-7 ballgame this past Saturday.

Forget about injecting a little motion, or jet sweeps into the playbook sprinkled throughout the game...Richt stuffed all that chit into 1 play in order to counter his social media critics that contend that he doesn't run motion, jet sweeps, or attempt trick plays...Lmao

Forget about injecting a little motion, or jet sweeps into the playbook sprinkled throughout the game...Richt stuffed all that chit into 1 play in order to counter his social media critics that contend that he doesn't run motion, jet sweeps, or attempt trick plays...Lmao
Richt couldn't care less about social media critics. He understands that the elite programs, not the ones that might flash this season or next, the dynasty type programs are the ones that can consistently execute the fundamentals of the game of football. I have no problem with running motion to help a QB recognize coverage, but the people that think we need to do it more to confuse defenses don't understand that a fundamentally sound defense with solid assignment and gap integrity don't give a shlt how many people you have dancing around before the ball is snapped.

I got no problem with a trick play here and there to catch an opponent being overly aggressive and over-pursuing. But there's nothing that can be accomplished with a HB pass that can't be accomplished with a properly executed Play-Action fake when you've set it up by being able to run the ball. Fundamentally, it is the same **** play with the better passer distributing the ball. Neither is worth a **** if the defense isn't sold on the RB's ability to run the football.

great post, context is everything in these discussions...

Advertisement
Back