So I watched UL vs WKU

Advertisement
They have 2 new tackles starting. This is where we exploit but our LB's have to be able to contain.

We need to lean on the RB's heavy but utilize the TE's as much as possible. The middle of the field will be open.

ST's block and return for TD sounds about right.

Our offense is about to click and it certainly helps to go against one of the worst D's in the ACC.

Context is huge when you’re talking about last year’s game. It was 21-14 early in the second quarter and looking like a shootout. Miami scores two more touchdowns and goes into the half 35-14 and the game is over. It was 52-21 after three quarters. You can give up yards to these guys, especially through the air but if you turn them over you can hurt them bad. They threw two picks last year and Atwell fumbled twice (only one was recovered by us).

This game will set the stage for the rest of the season. We play a team whose offense doesn't have better athletes or highly ranked players per se but rather relies exclusively on speed and putting players in a position to succeed.

I'm already having nightmares about our inability to defend the perimeter, our propensity to get fooled by misdirection, and our coaches being stubborn by playing older players who lack instinct yet are preferred over more talented players because they are more experienced and presumably less likely to make a mistake.

If we can't game plan for Louisville's speed and Satterfield's offense after having faced both Louisville and App St in the past, then depsite the off-season window dressing, we've got major problems.

Looking forward to Saturday...

Advertisement
its all in the context of the game and situation , we gave up some big plays in the game, but were in control throughout, that stat is as relevant as Miami finishing top 10 in ypp every year and sucking and not stopping anyone when it mattered most
We were in control because they made alot of mistakes (we forced them), punt block, short punt, muffed punt, 2 INTs that the offense was able to convert in to points and give us some distance..

The thing I am most confident about is how King will play against them.

They are basically screwed trying to defend him. If they blitz we will have TES and WRS open down field. Or at worst they blitz and he happens to do one of his Houdini acts to spin away from the defenders then he will be 40 or 50 yards down field before even being touched.
If they do not blitz there will be huge running lanes for King on the Zone read or for our backs to gobble up some yards.

I do not know how they will stop us quite frankly.

The thing I am most confident about is how King will play against them.

They are basically screwed trying to defend him. If they blitz we will have TES and WRS open down field. Or at worst they blitz and he happens to do one of his Houdini acts to spin away from the defenders then he will be 40 or 50 yards down field before even being touched.
If they do not blitz there will be huge running lanes for King on the Zone read or for our backs to gobble up some yards.

I do not know how they will stop us quite frankly.
Listening to a couple of interviews with Louisville beat writers and some of their staff, it seems their plan is to try to contain King's running ability as best as possible and hope there's still a lot of rust/miscommunication in the passing game. It's a solid strategy but the realistic guys in the media know they're going to have to score a ton.

Advertisement
UAB defense is better than Louisville’s. But king ran thru that like the 7th Floor crew.

let king get settled and comfortable , and he will shred this defense apart.
Greg Olsen Shrug GIF by Carolina Panthers

Saying they are going to try and contain King is one thing.
Doing it is actually another.
I will believe it when I see it.
They won't be able to do it without committing a ton of extra attention to it. I fully expect our RBs to go off and at least one receiver, including tight ends, to have a huge game.

Advertisement
Bottom line is Canes need to win this weekend and next vs FSU and roll into the Clemson game 3-0 vs coming out of that game 2-2.

It sets the table up for the rest of the season.

This is the Louisville punter:

Their misdirection and speed will absolutely gash this defense because we don’t play assignment football. Manny’s havoc defense works when you can overwhelm your opponent but I worry it’ll be our undoing against Louisville
Manny at DC would absolutely shut this offense down. He has done it before when Satterfield was at app state. He knows how and when to dial back the blitzing. Baker's philosophy however, is if the blitz aint working, blitz some more. If the stunts don't work, try it again.

Advertisement
Our linebackers better be ready.
A team like Louisville will try to confuse them and take advantage of any inexperienced players. They put so many people in pre snap motion it was almost comical rewatching it. But I think they had over 5 plays that went for over 20 yards that day.

They won't be able to do it without committing a ton of extra attention to it. I fully expect our RBs to go off and at least one receiver, including tight ends, to have a huge game.

Yep , I fully expect them them to crowd the box and make him win it with his arm. After a couple big plays to the te’s they’ll change their tune. If they eventually drop back to a seven man front I believe we can move them.

Pass to set up the run this week, that’s at least what I’d do. They’ll be aggressive with the run fakes.

I think we have more explosion offensively with King and an improved backfield. Canes will score points. My concern is our LB's and secondary mainly Ivey. I don't trust this cat at all. Couch needs to play much and if Baker does this, we win going away.

Advertisement
Back