So I was able to see practice today...

k9cane

Senior
and a few notes and thoughts...

- TVD made some throws where you just went, 'Yeah, he wont be here much longer.' It wasnt just the velocity of his throws, but the ball placement. His passes just seem to almost have a buzz to them as they gain steam towards the reciever

- Quickest release belonged to Jake Garcia. As for Jacurri Brown, as others have mentioned, UM has never had a physical specimen like him come into this position quite like him. What I found interesting about him is that he throws a very good deep pass, what he actually needs to work on is on the short and intermediate stuff just taking something off his passes, actually make them softer with more touch.

- Since the QB's and WR's were nearest to where I was, and I didn't move around much, that's where most of my focus was. The UCLA transfer(Agude) was there, and he is very well built. He looks like he could play without pads. Thats how Mario wants his DEnds to look moving forward, Im guessing,

- Brashard Smith's explosiveness stood out to me. In my view, he's like a Kevin Williams-type. Maybe not the most polished WR, route runner, or best hands, but you just have find a way to get him the Wilson, either through slip screen, jet sweeps, reverses, end-arounds, etc

- Isiah Dunson -- he flashed, I liked what I saw in man coverage down the field. I think we're going to see him log snaps this season

- Got to meet Mike Rumph. I have to say, that guy is VERY personable and friendly. He was introducing himself to everyone, making them feel welcome. I had a great time exchanging some stories about my genesis of becoming a Canes fan, and the 2001 team, etc. You can tell he's very happy to be part of this program

- Roland Smith, talked to him for a few minutes. I interviewed him years ago for Grassy's site. Another good guy, he spent a lot of time chatting it up with Uncle Luke throughout the practice.

- Got to talk a good deal with Don Soldinger. I love talking ball with him, that's a real football guy. Neat moment, as coach Cristobal was walking off the field, he sees the Sarge, and he made it a point to come over and pay his respects and converse with him. There's is genuine respect there. Soldinger told me about Mario, ''that guy is special.''

- One thing is very evident, this is a staff that goes out of his way to be ambassadors for the U, and sell the program. And as a whole, this staff looks like they could suit up as a team and play right now. Seriously, most of our coaching staff is in great shape. They look the part.

- Saw Sean Spence has a much shorter hair cut now, almost didnt recognize him. Jimmy Graham was there, and wanted to meet with Will Mallory and the other TEs'. BTW, Arroyo looks like a dude. I expect a huge year from him

- Aquinas and Belen High were there today at practice

- After practice, I headed to the Big Cheese. Good pizza, better memorabilia on the wall. I can stare at that stuff all day

Last edited:
Advertisement
Very nice!

2DE44CB4-F3BE-4F41-880D-704147088880.gif

Ill add Jacurri interview to go along with these takes to show kid is self aware beyond his years and has a great mindset on what he is good at and what he has to do to improve. Will be dope to see him develop and hope he gets some time even if a few snaps and packages..

He also mentioned learning from TVD and his ball placement..

Advertisement

- TVD made some throws where you just went, 'Yeah, he wont be here much longer.' It wasnt just the velocity of his throws, but the ball placement. His passes just seem to almost have a buzz to them as they gain steam towards the reciever

- Quickest release belonged to Jake Garcia. As for Jacurri Brown, as others have mentioned, UM has never had a physical specimen like him come into this position quite like him. What I found interesting about him is that he throws a very good deep pass, what he actually needs to work on is on the short and intermediate stuff just taking something off his passes, actually make them softer with more touch.

- Since the QB's and WR's were nearest to where I was, and I didn't move around much, that's where most of my focus was. The UCLA transfer(Agude) was there, and he is very well built. He looks like he could play without pads. Thats how Mario wants his DEnds to look moving forward, Im guessing,

- Brashard Smith's explosive stood out to me. In my view, he's like a Kevin Williams-type. Maybe not the most polished WR, route runner, or best hands, but you just have find a way to get him the Wilson, either through slip screen, jet sweeps, reverses, end-arounds, etc

- Isiah Dunson -- he flashed, I liked what I saw in man coverage down the field. I think we're going to see him log snaps this season

- Got to meet Mike Rumph. I have to say, that guy is VERY personable and friendly. He was introducing himself to everyone, making them feel welcome. I had a great time exchanging some stories about my genesis of becoming a Canes fan, and the 2001 team, etc. You can tell he's very happy to be part of this program

- Roland Smith, talked to him for a few minutes. I interviewed him years ago for Grassy's site. Another good guy, he spent a lot of time chatting it up with Uncle Luke throughout the practice.

- Got to talk a good deal with Don Soldinger. I love talking ball with him, that's a real football guy. Neat moment, as coach Cristobal was walking off the field, he sees the Sarge, and he made it a point to come over and pay his respects and converse with him. There's is genuine respect there. Soldinger told me about Mario, ''that guy is special.''

- One thing is very evident, this is a staff that goes out of his way to be ambassadors for the U, and sell the program. And as a whole, this staff looks like they could suit up as a team and play right now. Seriously, most of our coaching staff is in great shape. They look the part.

- Saw Sean Spence has a much shorter hair cut now, almost didnt recognize him. Jimmy Graham was there, and wanted to meet with Will Mallory and the other TEs'. BTW, Arroyo looks like a dude. I expect a huge year from him

- After practice, I headed to the Big Cheese. Good pizza, better memorabilia on the wall. I can stare at that stuff all day

Excellent write-up, as always, sir! You got the V-I-P, very nice, very nice. I hope you didn't "borrow" any of that Big Cheese memorabilia for your office!

- Brashard Smith's explosive stood out to me. In my view, he's like a Kevin Williams-type. Maybe not the most polished WR, route runner, or best hands, but you just have find a way to get him the Wilson, either through slip screen, jet sweeps, reverses, end-arounds, etc

You had a fine, fine day, amigo. Thanks for sharing.

Advertisement
Ill add Jacurri interview to go along with these takes to show kid is self aware beyond his years and has a great mindset on what he is good at and what he has to do to improve. Will be dope to see him develop and hope he gets some time even if a few snaps and packages..

He also mentioned learning from TVD and his ball placement..

**** this kid is chill af. Has the dwinstitles personality for sure.

how the wrs look?

Advertisement
Advertisement
To me, your comparison of B Smith to K Williams is spot on. Neither had prototypical size for any offensive position, but they are WEAPONS on the field. Would love to see Brashard on specials this year.

Advertisement
Back