So I was able to see practice today...

Advertisement
Advertisement
another funny story/quip from Soldinger. I asked him if he realized -- even during our glory days if he realized if he understood that Miami was kinda this bare-bones operation. He answered....

"Well yeah, I mean, I made more money when I went back to high school (Southridge) after leaving UM."

We both got a good laugh out of that..

Seriously, I'd listen to a weekly show with him just telling stories, explaining football, etc...

Advertisement
Advertisement
and a few notes and thoughts...

- TVD made some throws where you just went, 'Yeah, he wont be here much longer.' It wasnt just the velocity of his throws, but the ball placement. His passes just seem to almost have a buzz to them as they gain steam towards the reciever

- Quickest release belonged to Jake Garcia. As for Jacurri Brown, as others have mentioned, UM has never had a physical specimen like him come into this position quite like him. What I found interesting about him is that he throws a very good deep pass, what he actually needs to work on is on the short and intermediate stuff just taking something off his passes, actually make them softer with more touch.

- Since the QB's and WR's were nearest to where I was, and I didn't move around much, that's where most of my focus was. The UCLA transfer(Agude) was there, and he is very well built. He looks like he could play without pads. Thats how Mario wants his DEnds to look moving forward, Im guessing,

- Brashard Smith's explosiveness stood out to me. In my view, he's like a Kevin Williams-type. Maybe not the most polished WR, route runner, or best hands, but you just have find a way to get him the Wilson, either through slip screen, jet sweeps, reverses, end-arounds, etc

- Isiah Dunson -- he flashed, I liked what I saw in man coverage down the field. I think we're going to see him log snaps this season

- Got to meet Mike Rumph. I have to say, that guy is VERY personable and friendly. He was introducing himself to everyone, making them feel welcome. I had a great time exchanging some stories about my genesis of becoming a Canes fan, and the 2001 team, etc. You can tell he's very happy to be part of this program

- Roland Smith, talked to him for a few minutes. I interviewed him years ago for Grassy's site. Another good guy, he spent a lot of time chatting it up with Uncle Luke throughout the practice.

- Got to talk a good deal with Don Soldinger. I love talking ball with him, that's a real football guy. Neat moment, as coach Cristobal was walking off the field, he sees the Sarge, and he made it a point to come over and pay his respects and converse with him. There's is genuine respect there. Soldinger told me about Mario, ''that guy is special.''

- One thing is very evident, this is a staff that goes out of his way to be ambassadors for the U, and sell the program. And as a whole, this staff looks like they could suit up as a team and play right now. Seriously, most of our coaching staff is in great shape. They look the part.

- Saw Sean Spence has a much shorter hair cut now, almost didnt recognize him. Jimmy Graham was there, and wanted to meet with Will Mallory and the other TEs'. BTW, Arroyo looks like a dude. I expect a huge year from him

- Aquinas and Belen High were there today at practice

- After practice, I headed to the Big Cheese. Good pizza, better memorabilia on the wall. I can stare at that stuff all day
Tell me more about your work at the Big Cheese today. Need a review. Your favorite piece of memorabilia on the wall? First meal ever at Big Cheese? What'd you eat today? Go on...

Tell me more about your work at the Big Cheese today. Need a review. Your favorite piece of memorabilia on the wall? First meal ever at Big Cheese? What'd you eat today? Go on...

LOL, Robes not my first time. This is somewhere I plan on going every time Im in the 305

I had the antipasto and we ordered the pepperoni sandwhich. But Im a fan of their meat lovers pie, it's really loaded

As for the memorabilia, the team posters from the late 80s to early 2000's are great -- and they have players autographs. To me, this place is the Smithsonian of pizza parlors lol. But this is when UM had an admin that really marketed the program. Lets be blunt they have been lazy the past 15 years or so. I mean, our group was wondering why CaneFest no longer happens

I still wonder why Miami stopped doing team/season posters -- I looked forward to getting them in the mail every summer.

If Big Cheese ever went out of business, Id fly to Miami to put in a bid for a lot of there stuff on the walls.

Advertisement
LOL, Robes not my first time. This is somewhere I plan on going every time Im in the 305

I had the antipasto and we ordered the pepperoni sandwhich. But Im a fan of their meat lovers pie, it's really loaded

As for the memorabilia, the team posters from the late 80s to early 2000's are great -- and they have players autographs. To me, this place is the Smithsonian of pizza parlors lol. But this is when UM had an admin that really marketed the program. Lets be blunt they have been lazy the past 15 years or so. I mean, our group was wondering why CaneFest no longer happens

I still wonder why Miami stopped doing team/season posters -- I looked forward to getting them in the mail every summer.

If Big Cheese ever went out of business, Id fly to Miami to put in a bid for a lot of there stuff on the walls.
Their meatlovers is a dawg for sure.

I find the Dwayne Johnson ones the most fascinating...when he put his name down all over the building it was a big deal at the time...but you just look back and he was like 20% as famous and 5% as wealthy at the time. Those autos have really shot up in value, yafeelme?

and brother...there is no chance I thought this was your first time at the Big Cheese. I would have wagered you'd have been there triple digits at this point of your life.

I was asking if you remembered your first meal there.

@k9cane ...If they were to run outta business, you could come over and see what's hanging on my walls....No bids though....

Advertisement
Back