So barry jackson says...

Advertisement
1. Shalala is the best Prez this university has ever had and it's not close.

2. Golden is allowed a few exceptions each year. He's trying to use one on Gray this year. If he can't get in here, he can't get in anywhere.

3. Of course the University is going to say what they did. They are trying to clean up an image that has been severely damaged in the last 3 or 4 years.

4. UM didn't win games in the 80's because of swagger, being ****y or celebrating. They won because we had great players who busted their ***. No more no less.

5. I don't give a sh** if we are forced to wear tuxedos to dinner every night and every UM player has to recite poetry -- as long as we win MNCs.

6. No UM president has ever bowed to the football program -- and in that time period we have won 5 MNCs.

7. Shalala told the NCAA president to fu** off essentially when it became clear that they were trying to railroad UM -- how come Shalala is not given any props for that in these types of conversations?

:rollcanes:

UM has never, ever shed the outlaw image and likely never will. The Shapiro stuff did nothing to damage UM's image, it just played into what most already believed.

2. Golden is allowed a few exceptions each year. He's trying to use one on Gray this year. If he can't get in here, he can't get in anywhere.

3. Of course the University is going to say what they did. They are trying to clean up an image that has been severely damaged in the last 3 or 4 years.

4. UM didn't win games in the 80's because of swagger, being ****y or celebrating. They won because we had great players who busted their ***. No more no less.

5. I don't give a sh** if we are forced to wear tuxedos to dinner every night and every UM player has to recite poetry -- as long as we win MNCs.

6. No UM president has ever bowed to the football program -- and in that time period we have won 5 MNCs.

7. Shalala told the NCAA president to fu** off essentially when it became clear that they were trying to railroad UM -- how come Shalala is not given any props for that in these types of conversations?

#1 The jury is still out on this one..Since she took over we havent won **** in any sport. We have had 2 failed coaching hires and maybe a 3rd coming up soon in Al. The baseball prgrm has gone to **** and if it werent for Jim Larranaga the entire athletic dept would be ****. BUT I will give her props on how she handled the Shapiro mess. She was Griselda Blanco reborn during that entire time.

#2 just aint true anymore and im not believing it or Angelo Jean Louis, Kevin Grooms, and AJ Leggett would all be Canes right now instead of at Marshall. And the biggest one is Derrick Griffin. If you have ANY golden chip in your pocket you use it for this kid. Griffin aint hangin out in Houston somewhere bagging groceries. He is at Texas Southern last I heard. So I am not buying that myth anymore that Shalala "lets Al take 2 or 3 exceptions each year" until I see it with my own two eyes with a big time talent that has borderline grades and he gets in..

#3 what image was damaged? The fact that instead of having 15 guys graduate we had 14? The fact that instead of no arrest over an entire calendar year we had one arrest? All that Shapiro **** happened **** near 6+ years ago..Everyone and their mom knew that our image was spotless during the tail end of the Randy years and all through the Golden years.

#4 Agree

#5 Agree. Sort of..lol.

#6 Jimmy Johnson didnt bow to Tad Foote either. Neither did Dennis. So I guess we need a coach who is going to stand his ground and go toe to toe with the president no matter what the circumstances especially if W/Ls are on the line.

#7 Agree

#1 The jury is still out on this one..Since she took over we havent won **** in any sport. We have had 2 failed coaching hires and maybe a 3rd coming up soon in Al. The baseball prgrm has gone to **** and if it werent for Jim Larranaga the entire athletic dept would be ****. BUT I will give her props on how she handled the Shapiro mess. She was Griselda Blanco reborn during that entire time.

#2 just aint true anymore and im not believing it or Angelo Jean Louis, Kevin Grooms, and AJ Leggett would all be Canes right now instead of at Marshall. And the biggest one is Derrick Griffin. If you have ANY golden chip in your pocket you use it for this kid. Griffin aint hangin out in Houston somewhere bagging groceries. He is at Texas Southern last I heard. So I am not buying that myth anymore that Shalala "lets Al take 2 or 3 exceptions each year" until I see it with my own two eyes with a big time talent that has borderline grades and he gets in..

#3 what image was damaged? The fact that instead of having 15 guys graduate we had 14? The fact that instead of no arrest over an entire calendar year we had one arrest? All that Shapiro **** happened **** near 6+ years ago..Everyone and their mom knew that our image was spotless during the tail end of the Randy years and all through the Golden years.

#4 Agree

#5 Agree. Sort of..lol.

#6 Jimmy Johnson didnt bow to Tad Foote either. Neither did Dennis. So I guess we need a coach who is going to stand his ground and go toe to toe with the president no matter what the circumstances especially if W/Ls are on the line.

#7 Agree

It wasn't a matter of borderline grades for AJL, Leggett, and Grooms. It wasn't a matter of needing the golden chip to waive UM's requirements. They were non-NCAA qualifiers. UM does not take non-NCAA qualifiers. Marshall, and probably the 1-AA school you mentioned do. They can't play, or be on scholarship their first year, but Marshall can certainly let them go to school. If Golden has a couple of exceptions, they are exceptions to UM's requirements, not the NCAA's.

#4 Agree

#5 Agree. Sort of..lol.

#7 Agree

It wasn't a matter of borderline grades for AJL, Leggett, and Grooms. It wasn't a matter of needing the golden chip to waive UM's requirements. They were non-NCAA qualifiers. UM does not take non-NCAA qualifiers. Marshall, and probably the 1-AA school you mentioned do. They can't play, or be on scholarship their first year, but Marshall can certainly let them go to school. If Golden has a couple of exceptions, they are exceptions to UM's requirements, not the NCAA's.

Ok fine. But all due respect to you, lets stop calling it a **** "Exception" then. What you are describing aint an exception. Thats just a mild favor at best. So now we are back to my original point..Shalala doesnt give Al any exceptions. Either your in or out...I highly doubt Trayone Gray gets in. I hope im wrong. Which would further my case that this whole "Shalalas exceptions" theory is BS.

Advertisement

Ok fine. But all due respect to you, lets stop calling it a **** "Exception" then. What you are describing aint an exception. Thats just a mild favor at best. So now we are back to my original point..Shalala doesnt give Al any exceptions. Either your in or out...I highly doubt Trayone Gray gets in. I hope im wrong. Which would further my case that this whole "Shalalas exceptions" theory is BS.
Just to be clear. I'm not saying Golden is getting any exceptions. I said "if", meaning "if" they are exceptions it's just UM relaxing their own arbitrary standards above the NCAA minimum. I have no way of knowing for certain if there are exceptions, or even if UM's standards are really higher. There is always a lot of talk, but UM has never come straight out and said one way or the other.

But, whatever, I've long been in favor of UM using the NCAA minimums. If they don't, they are tilting the table in favor of our competition for talent.

#4 Agree

#5 Agree. Sort of..lol.

#7 Agree

Anyone else ever think that Shalala likes hiring people who are yes men first and competent at their jobs second?

Advertisement

#4 Agree

#5 Agree. Sort of..lol.

#7 Agree

Anyone else ever think that Shalala likes hiring people who are yes men first and competent at their jobs second?

She learned from the best in the world at that skill....the Clintons.

Advertisement
Back