SMU WR Coach

Fly1

Covert Bag Man
David Gru - WR coach the last two seasons at SMU....could he come over? He's a young guy that has done well...in limited experience.

I havent heard any other names for WR coach...

Thoughts?

David Gru joined the Mustang staff in January of 2018 and serves as the wide receivers coach.

Gru mentored Biletnikoff Watch List selection James Proche to first-team All-AAC honors. He finished the season ranked fifth nationally in receptions per game (7.8), seventh in receiving touchdowns (12) and ninth in receiving yards (1,199).

Gru spent the 2017 season at TCU as an offensive analyst and worked with quarterbacks. The Horned Frogs posted an 11-win season in 2017, reaching as high as No. 4 in the National rankings, and defeated Stanford in the Valero Alamo Bowl. TCU also made an appearance in the Big 12 Championship.

Prior to his time at TCU, Gru served as a graduate assistant working with quarterbacks and wide receivers at California where he helped mentor No. 1 NFL Draft pick Jared Goff, as well as draft selections Kenny Lawler, Trevor Davis and Chad Hansen. Lawler was a first-team All-Pac 12 selection, while Hansen earned mid-season All-America honors as well as a first-team all-conference nod. Gru also mentored freshman All-America selection Demetris Robertson.

Cal improved on its national rankings in passing offense and total offense each year from 2013-2015, while ranking in the top 10 in both during his final season.

Gru played three seasons at wide receiver for Louisiana Tech (2010-12). The Bulldogs earned a berth to the 2011 Poinsettia Bowl after winning the Western Athletic Conference.

Gru received his bachelor's degree in business finance from Louisiana Tech in 2012 and went on to earn to earn a master's degree in public health from Cal in 2015.

Advertisement
Proche was a beast for them. Just saw the condensed game with Memphis he was ballin.

Advertisement
Pass. This dude is green af and all of the SoFla 2021 studs this next cycle will not let this dude near them, lol.

We need either a dynamite recruiter or an absolute proven veteran who has been around the block and coached some studs that is still respectable on the trail.

What is Trooper Taylor doing? I believe Rhett was a GA during his time there. ****, can Lockett coach WRs? Get that dude here.

Pass. This dude is green af and all of the SoFla 2021 studs this next cycle will not let this dude near them, lol.

We need either a dynamite recruiter or an absolute proven veteran who has been around the block and coached some studs that is still respectable on the trail.

What is Trooper Taylor doing? I believe Rhett was a GA during his time there. ****, can Lockett coach WRs? Get that dude here.

lol this board loves old dudes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
*proven guys
Trooper was just a name that came to mind with the Auburn connection. I could come up with several more. Do you have any names to suggest or was that your only contribution?

I don't hate the coach from SMU that coached a WR to over 100 receptions and 15 touchdowns just because he is "green"

So if the new OC who put up numbers wants to bring his WR coach who had success, why would I complain?

Advertisement
I don't hate the coach from SMU that coached a WR to over 100 receptions and 15 touchdowns just because he is "green"

So if the new OC who put up numbers wants to bring his WR coach who had success, why would I complain?

Don’t “hate” him either, my personal preference is just a more proven guy? Is that alright with you? And if he brings him then nothing I can do. I will hope he kills it. Again, I just posted my opinion and preference since the OP asked for our thoughts. This is a message board and that’s what people do, we don’t have to be giddy about every potential move we make. We as fans are allowed to want better.

Don’t “hate” him either, my personal preference is just a more proven guy? Is that alright with you? And if he brings him then nothing I can do. I will hope he kills it. Again, I just posted my opinion and preference since the OP asked for our thoughts. This is a message board and that’s what people do, we don’t have to be giddy about every potential move we make. We as fans are allowed to want better.

“Proven guy” for you is Trooper Taylor whose last year at auburn was in 2012

He’s currently at Duke...

**** man I’d have more respect if you listed a WR coach from Clemson, Bama, or maybe even OSU. Those would be proven guys to me...

**** I can’t even think of a player trooper developed... just know him as the bag man.

Advertisement
Back