Smothers Down to Two Schools

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2014 Scottsdale Community College (AZ) linebacker Antonio Smothers was anxious to pick a school coming out of high school and couldn’t wait to play college football, but he ended up taking a different route to get there.

“I did poorly on my ACT. I could have taken it again, but I decided not because I had to pay for it. So at that point I knew I had to go the JUCO route.”

Smothers then made another switch after attending his first junior college.

“The first year, I actually went to Arizona Western, but that didn’t work out either too much and then I transferred to Scottsdale Community College.”

Smothers’ most recent season was a very good one that landed him some honors as well as some interest from top colleges.

“Last season I played really well. I ended up making First Team All-Conference and First Team All- Region. I’ve been talking to Kansas State, UM, Cincinnati, University of Arizona and the University of Memphis.”

While the 6’2 237 pound prospect was originally planning to not name any leaders, he has narrowed his choice down to two schools.

“I was kinda playing it even at first, but now it looks like Kansas State or the University of Miami.”

The Scottsdale linebacker was recently in Coral Gables for a visit and had quite the time while in Miami.

“The visit went very well. I enjoyed the Miami life, but as well as the football aspect of it, like how do I fit in their schemes. I loved coach Michael Barrow, the way he coaches and what he is outside of football as a man. Al Golden seemed like a nice guy too.”

Smothers got a chance to tour the campus and spend quality time with the coaches.

“So basically, of course we ate well. I got to see the facility, we watches some film and they just showed me around.”

The JUCO star really enjoyed his time with linebackers coach Michael Barrow as well as head coach Al Golden.

“With Coach Barrow, he is a mixture of both cool and funny. It’s bigger then football. I believe he can teach me a lot of things about football but also teach me how to be a man. So we bonded instantly.”

“With Coach Golden, he is a cool guy. At first he’s kind of intimidating, I can’t lie. But after talking to him he made me believe that they needed me there and that was good.”

Smothers has one more trip planned to Kansas State and should be set to make his decisions once that is over.

“Definitely after I visit Kansas State, so I’ll say sometime before the season starts.”

Smothers described himself as a very hard hitting linebacker.

“I’m very good in space, but also when it’s time to hit I hit with killer instincts.”

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1754673/highlights/35764373

Last edited:
Advertisement
“With Coach Golden, he is a cool guy. At first he’s kind of intimidating, I can’t lie. But after talking to him he made me believe that they needed me there and that was good.”

The Don.

Don't think we have or ever will beat out Snyder head to head for a JUCO kid

Golden is just a big dude and he is intense...he definitely is not Snyder or Saban

but I would run through a wall for him

Did he play his one year at Arizona Western? I'm just interested how many years we'd have him...... two or three ?

Btw, kid is a beast. His film is sick, jumps off the screen .

Advertisement
Advertisement

Beau Sandland says SAWD, hater.

LOL he's posting as if Snyder reels in all the top ranked JUCOs out there. Snyder's classes are littered with 2 and 3 stars with few offers. He is just a great coach and talent evaluator and takes advantage of evaluating the Kansas JUCO system.

Just looked through KSU's past 3 classes and I didn't recognize one name as someone Miami offered/recruited.

Ok, if this is based on campuses it's a no-brainer. Manhattan, Ks., is a depressing place in the middle of nowhere . . . do wonder about a kid who only took the ACT once because he didn't want to pay to re-take it. Also jumping between jucos raises flags.

Beau Sandland says SAWD, hater.

LOL he's posting as if Snyder reels in all the top ranked JUCOs out there. Snyder's classes are littered with 2 and 3 stars with few offers. He is just a great coach and talent evaluator and takes advantage of evaluating the Kansas JUCO system.

Just looked through KSU's past 3 classes and I didn't recognize one name as someone Miami offered/recruited.

Some of these trolls and mopey UM fans are really putrid. Now, KSU is some sort of mecca of college football, and Snyder's a master recruiter.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This kid and young and Figs in the same line backing corps = Noles so concussed they will read at even less than a 3rd grade level.

Really want this kid. He'd be an immediate impact once he gets on campus.

Who knows, maybe him committing would help with Heurtelou also.

I'm feeling this cat as well. With him, Bond, Young, Fig...hope he qualifies and cracks skulls for the U! Looking forward to watching it happen.

K-State for some odd reason does get a lot of good JUCO players, that top ten team they had last year was loaded with JUCOs, im all for taking some of them away

Advertisement
Back