Sleepwalking in Chapel Hill(thoughts on the UNC win)...

k9cane

Senior
well, Miami won. And that's about all I can really say, I guess.

Yeah, a 'W' is a 'W' but is it unrealistic to expect to blow-out a 1-7 who is down to their 3rd string QB and had just gotten molly-whopped the week before in Blacksburg?

For this current Hurricanes team, yeah, I guess so.

You create 5 TO's and to only muster up 24 points is pathetic. Rosier was really bad today, for the first time this season over an extended period of time you saw the worst-case scenario that some had feared but in all fairness, he's getting absolutely no support from the running game and this seemed like the first time we really missed the presense of Mark Walton. But overall, this offense was feast or famine today with no consistency. Till this program gets in better run blocking Olineman, I think this will be a theme.

Ahmonn Richards wasn't much of a factor, in fact, he was only targeted a few times

Again, Chris Herndon should be utilized more and Berrios at the slot is deadly. Both made key plays today. But I wanted to focus a bit on two freshman, Jeff Thomas who continues to come on week-by-week and Deejay Dallas, who made his first big play as a Hurricane. Also, Bandy(outside of whiffing on a screen play that led to a big play) and Garvin made an impact on special teams with a blocked punt. Again, another really impactful freshman class at Miami. Really nice foundation being laid here.

Defensively, yeah, some busts but they held UNC to 19 on the road, and they created turnovers and that chain got plenty of exposure. I can live with the occassional gash in the run game, etc but what was frustrating today was the QB draw and how many times they lost contain and let the QB scamper outside. But again, that offense was given several opportunities to put away the game late and they flubbed it. Also wanted to note that Jacquan Johnson is really solid. No, he may not be Ed Reed or Sean Taylor but every game he's playing with seemingly more confidence and making plays that may not be spectacular but noticeable. Also Michael Jackson has really come on as a player this season. DMoney told me two years ago he thought he could be a real player at UM and he's becoming that.

Special teams, another spotty day. KO coverage gave up a big return and Thomas doesn't get a lot of help on returns. Also, Feagles isn't good, right now. Very weak leg and also a slow release on kicks.

Yeah, they played awful- worst game of the year. And guess what? It really means nothing now. To me, the season now really begins with consecutive games at the Hard Rock vs Vatech and Notre Dame. I expect a more focused and determined club to show up. More than any other game, college football is about emotion. And now I think Miami is probably healthier than at any time the past few weeks. I got some heat on twitter for saying that I think Miami could/will drop in the polls after this game, but here's the thing, it really doesn't matter. As long as Miami keeps winning somehow, they're good.

But I do wonder, is this 2013 all over again(I hope not). I think this team has much more pure physical talent than that squad. But this game did remind me our struggles vs Wake Forest before the FSU showdown that season.

Lastly, that ESPN2 production( from the announcing to the camera work) was embarrissingly bad. I mean, that was cable-access quality and that's an insult to shows like 'Wayne's World'. Have the budget cuts at the 'World Wide Leader' really had THAT much of an impact?

But 7-0.

Now, the season begins. Bring on November...

Advertisement
I love Jeff Thomas and think he should be getting more time on the field as WR, but he clearly doesn't belong returning kickoffs right now. The vision just isn't there.

Always look forward to these recaps, thanks for posting. I am in total agreement that we are on the right track. Our recruiting has been much better under Richt and it is already paying dividends.

I know no one wants to hear it but Richt still only has 1 full recruiting class under his belt enrolled here.

I love Jeff Thomas and think he should be getting more time on the field as WR, but he clearly doesn't belong returning kickoffs right now. The vision just isn't there.

Have to agree, but the blocking on kick return has been atrocious too

Advertisement
Yeah, and he'll be bringing in another QB who has been unproductive in HS, much like Allison was. And Richt signed Allison - it wasn't Golden.

Highly, highly questionable that he'd bring in a QB who can't even get it done at the HS level.

Always look forward to these recaps, thanks for posting. I am in total agreement that we are on the right track. Our recruiting has been much better under Richt and it is already paying dividends.

I know no one wants to hear it but Richt still only has 1 full recruiting class under his belt enrolled here.

Yeah, and he'll be bringing in another QB who has been unproductive in HS, much like Allison was. And Richt signed Allison - it wasn't Golden.

Highly, highly questionable that he'd bring in a QB who can't even get it done at the HS level.

No argument from me there.

We still have fans that think it takes 5 years to win at an elite program. If your coach isnt getting it done by year two at a place like Miami, you probably are never winning anything with that coach.

Advertisement

Have to agree, but the blocking on kick return has been atrocious too

It's going to look bad if you're not running to where they're giving you. Looks like he's always choosing the wrong side to run to.

This was embarrassing. Agree with op. VT and ND will be true measure. I could see a one point win in both or a blow out loss too. Rosier was just terrible

Richt's predictable **** playcalling doesn't help.

^^This, This, and more This. I can't stand the play calling. Honestly I think Richt needs to go get a young minded offensive guru. The O we run looks like one from the 80s/90s and if we cant get the big uglies up front and a fullback to run the power I, we aren't blowing anyone off the ball. I'd like to see more misdirection, motion, quick slants, and then over the seam. Do we ever pitch the ball out or do we 100% of the time have to hand the ball off when the RB is flat footed? Why not get the guy going with a head of steam? Enough with the **** bubble screen 20 times a game.

Advertisement
The play calling reminds me of dnorfio defense, very predictable, doesn't make the defense think pre-snap

Richt thinks it's the early 2000s and he can out talent everyone with our better athletes but CFB has evolved.

The play calling reminds me of dnorfio defense, very predictable, doesn't make the defense think pre-snap

Zero creativity. Nothing to even make the d think something predictable is coming , then play off that. It's just the same ole crap.

"My athletes and speed" are enough is how he calls games.

Advertisement
UNC knew every play. This was the first time I've a team just sit on our routes. They contested every throw outside of a couple bc they knew the simplicity of our routes. We are embarrassing offensively and we lack creativity

Richt's predictable **** playcalling doesn't help.

I think Richt is a good program builder, very good CEO - his game day coaching to me though is very, well....not great.

The OL could not block all game and missed on most of his completions. Granted, I would've like to have seen Homer more, but what else could we have done? We were getting stuffed all day.

Zero creativity. Nothing to even make the d think something predictable is coming , then play off that. It's just the same ole crap.

"My athletes and speed" are enough is how he calls games.

Yep. How about a sweep/toss/pitch? Maybe some counters, reverses, end arounds? Maybe put Rosier under center with 3/4 wide, in the pistol, ****!!!

How many 2nd and 10s are we going to see the same MFing running play?

Advertisement
Back