Sleeping with the Enemy (Shalala)

AllAboutTheU13

Sophomore
I came across a couple interesting bits of info that fly in the face of the narrative we’ve been led to believe over the last couple decades as Canes football fans.

- In 1982 Schnellenberger was the 6th highest paid coach in CFB (see tweet below)
- In 2000, Butch was offered a contract that would’ve made him the 3rd highest paid (see article below)

Miami was in fact paying top dollar for football coaches up until 2000. But suddenly that changed - Randy was one of the lowest paid, almost coordinator level salary if I remember. Goldens salary ranked in the 40s. Shalala was hired in 2001.

Then suddenly in 2016 (Frenk was hired in 2015) we started paying more for coaches again. Richts $4M was top 20 in the country I believe, and now Cristobal is paid a top 10 salary.

One simple question: why did we pay top 10 salaries to football coaches right until Shalala was hired? And why did we start paying more again right after she left? I think we know the answer.

Advertisement
I came across a couple interesting bits of info that fly in the face of the narrative we’ve been led to believe over the last couple decades as Canes football fans.

- In 1982 Schnellenberger was the 6th highest paid coach in CFB (see tweet below)
- In 2000, Butch was offered a contract that would’ve made him the 3rd highest paid (see article below)

Miami was in fact paying top dollar for football coaches up until 2000. But suddenly that changed - Randy was one of the lowest paid, almost coordinator level salary if I remember. Goldens salary ranked in the 40s. Shalala was hired in 2001.

Then suddenly in 2016 (Frenk was hired in 2015) we started paying more for coaches again. Richts $4M was top 20 in the country I believe, and now Cristobal is paid a top 10 salary.

One simple question: why did we pay top 10 salaries to football coaches right until Shalala was hired? And why did we start paying more again right after she left? I think we know the answer.

Uhhh, she clearly stated when Butch was seeking a simple buy out of $800k to stay on board (assuming these weren’t lies) after turning the program back around from probation…no way, and we won’t ever pay a coach more than $2 mill a year.

Advertisement
Larry Coker was one of the highest paid coaches at the time.

The Troll was definitely one of the main reasons this program went to the dumpster fire though.

Like Mario said, we honor the past but we can't try be like them or emulate them, the games changed, we have to adapt. She's the past. UM is changing, we gotta support it to the fullest like Mario said.

Also LC is one of the nicest dudes to walk this earth.

She was schooled in a political system where the top elite or hatchet(wo)men get paid, and the rest have to fend for themselves. Like CEO's, knew she was going to be bad for The U from the get go.

Advertisement

z8AJNUSLDgNvG.gif

Advertisement
No need to re-hash all of this as it’s been re-hashed on here and other avenue countless times.

We need to move on especially now that we have a competent AD and HC and financial backing from some big fish.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back