Sleeping with the Enemy (Shalala)

And yet there are guys on CIS that will run to her defense and swear she wasn’t the problem…they all must be taking an afternoon nap or having an early dinner but I’d bet before this thread dies they will be here to sing her praises….
They’re taking advantage of the early bird special at Duff’s Cafeteria. Don’t worry, they’ll be back.

Advertisement
I came across a couple interesting bits of info that fly in the face of the narrative we’ve been led to believe over the last couple decades as Canes football fans.

- In 1982 Schnellenberger was the 6th highest paid coach in CFB (see tweet below)
- In 2000, Butch was offered a contract that would’ve made him the 3rd highest paid (see article below)

Miami was in fact paying top dollar for football coaches up until 2000. But suddenly that changed - Randy was one of the lowest paid, almost coordinator level salary if I remember. Goldens salary ranked in the 40s. Shalala was hired in 2001.

Then suddenly in 2016 (Frenk was hired in 2015) we started paying more for coaches again. Richts $4M was top 20 in the country I believe, and now Cristobal is paid a top 10 salary.

One simple question: why did we pay top 10 salaries to football coaches right until Shalala was hired? And why did we start paying more again right after she left? I think we know the answer.

We went with politics and those politicians be thieves with a college degree that tells them to rob pretty much. I dont trust those politicians period and shalalalala was just that.

I came across a couple interesting bits of info that fly in the face of the narrative we’ve been led to believe over the last couple decades as Canes football fans.

- In 1982 Schnellenberger was the 6th highest paid coach in CFB (see tweet below)
- In 2000, Butch was offered a contract that would’ve made him the 3rd highest paid (see article below)

Miami was in fact paying top dollar for football coaches up until 2000. But suddenly that changed - Randy was one of the lowest paid, almost coordinator level salary if I remember. Goldens salary ranked in the 40s. Shalala was hired in 2001.

Then suddenly in 2016 (Frenk was hired in 2015) we started paying more for coaches again. Richts $4M was top 20 in the country I believe, and now Cristobal is paid a top 10 salary.

One simple question: why did we pay top 10 salaries to football coaches right until Shalala was hired? And why did we start paying more again right after she left? I think we know the answer.

Information is incorrect.

Coker's extension also paid him a Top 10 college coach salary, and that was on Shalala's watch. So Coker is comparable to Butch. First time head coaches who did NOT get paid a lot on the first contract, but were offered a lot more in the way of an extension.

And, yes, Shannon was a first-time HC. Not going to get paid a Top 10 salary.

Golden was paid a medium salary. HC experience, but at Temple.

I believe that Shannon and Golden were extended by a few years and got moderate raises, but nothing like what was offered to Butch and Coker.

No need to re-hash all of this as it’s been re-hashed on here and other avenue countless times.

We need to move on especially now that we have a competent AD and HC and financial backing from some big fish.
Respectfully disagree. This particular dead horse can simply not be beaten enough. The witch tried to kill our beloved, and there was nothing we could do but stand by and watch. The least we can do is “never forget”, and make sure it never happens again.

I only bring it up because the Schnellenberger and Butch salaries were news to me. Even recently I’ve heard people saying Miami has never paid HCs, and Mario was the first, which is false. You can say whatever you want about UM admin in the 80s and 90s, but at least they cared enough to pay for good HCs.

If UM was paying/offering Butch that much money when Shalala arrived, that means Shalala had to actively decide to stop paying that much. She was sabotaging the football program from within, based on a ridiculous idea that you can’t have a strong academic reputation and a good football program. Please go take a look at USC, which is better than UM academically and has one of the best football programs.

People can bash Frenk all they want, but under him we paid Richt and now Cristobal top dollar, and we invested a lot into facilities. Id rather have a school president who doesn’t care about sports, but at least gets out of the way and puts people in charge who do care, than someone who is actively sabotaging the football program like Shalala was.

Again, untrue. There was no decision to "stop paying that much", because the guy she wanted to hire to replace Butch (Barry Alvarez) would have cost significantly more than what was paid to Coker, a first-time head coach. Coker got paid very well (Top 10) on his extension.

Randy Shannon was not a good hire, given that he was on the staff of the HC who was the first UM head football coach EVER fired.

Al Golden was not the worst hire on the market that year, though he was not a great fit at Miami. At least he had a more significant resume than Randy had.

The job of the UM President is about way more than football, and on the academic side, Shalala far surpasses Frenk.

Advertisement
Respectfully disagree. This particular dead horse can simply not be beaten enough. The witch tried to kill our beloved, and there was nothing we could do but stand by and watch. The least we can do is “never forget”, and make sure it never happens again.
We should never forget history lest we repeat it. That being said, in this case, and with the new direction of the program, it serves no purpose other than opening old wounds.

There's also something to be said about understanding the history. Too often we've had misfires in this program (or with the Dolphins) and we move on, but neglect to talk at all about what happened previously. Not the complaints on the board, but deeper reporting on poor decisions that were made or the limitations imposed on the personnel.

There was a great book called Shark Among Dolphins that talked about what went wrong in Shula's last year. Cane Mutiny had similar reporting. I'd love to know just exactly what decisions of priority (or lack thereof) were made by Shalala when it came to athletics, and the reasoning why. Why Randy Shannon had no money for assistants, and why the furniture at Hecht was the same furniture as when he was a player. Why Al Golden could not get a simple nutritionist. Or who was really at fault in Butch leaving - Butch or the school? Or why there was no money for the program, why it was said that the school was perfectly happy with seven win seasons as long as the conference money continued this year....until it suddenly wasn't. Was the money that is now being used for Mario, his staff, and the facilities always there and the school didn't push the right levers?

View attachment 173824
Dead on. If you just shrub your shoulders and move on every time you step on a rake, you’re doomed to just keep stepping on takes, Sideshow Bob style.

Saying “that’s in the past, let’s look forward” is the refuge of scoundrels who want to blame everyone else for failures, avoid all accountability, yet take credit for every success.

Not trying to be political, but the glaring thought that comes to mind is Hillary Clinton testifying before Congress with the words “what difference at this point does it make?” after her actions/inaction directly led to the torture and death of American diplomats and warriors. Leaders need to be held accountable.

They’re taking advantage of the early bird special at Duff’s Cafeteria. Don’t worry, they’ll be back.

Awwww good old Duff’s.Didn’t know the place was still open.

We used to stop there to eat before our baseball games back in the late 60’s early 70’s…We’d get like 5-6 bucks per diem and that was enough for a drink and a buffet back then…sometimes we’d stop after the game before we headed back down the keys if the games got over early enough…

Last edited:
Hip Hop Crunch GIF

Advertisement
And yet there are guys on CIS that will run to her defense and swear she wasn’t the problem…they all must be taking an afternoon nap or having an early dinner but I’d bet before this thread dies they will be here to sing her praises….

As many posters have belatedly learned, there are three "problem" areas at UM that bear responsibility for UM Athletics generally, and Football specifically: the President, the Board of Trustees, and the AD.

Paul Dee hired Randy Shannon. Shalala and the BOT agreed.

The next three ADs after Dee were either poor fits or terrible hires. Shalala and the BOT made those decisions jointly.

Kirby Hocutt hired Al Golden. Shalala and the BOT agreed.

President Foote and President Shalala had the same policies towards the Athletic Department, that it should be self-sufficient. However, under Foote, our Athletic Department finances were so bad and inconsistent (major Independent and then Big East) that Foote had to occasionally infuse money into the Athletic Department or else we would have had to shut down all sports. Shalala got us into the ACC (and bought UHealth). Both ventures took a few years to reach full revenue projections. We did not have the cost-cutting under Dee or Hocutt that we had under Blake James, that's just a fact.

Lots of blame to go around. It's overly reductive and simplistic to just blame the person at the top.

Advertisement
No she didn't. That was ALL City of Miami elected officials.
She was in position to fight it. If anything use the media and boosters to try and drum up support for the Orange Bowl. She did nothing. In fact, I remember the first thing she did was negotiate to get us at Hard Rock as if it was a forgone conclusion.

Again, untrue. There was no decision to "stop paying that much", because the guy she wanted to hire to replace Butch (Barry Alvarez) would have cost significantly more than what was paid to Coker, a first-time head coach. Coker got paid very well (Top 10) on his extension.

Randy Shannon was not a good hire, given that he was on the staff of the HC who was the first UM head football coach EVER fired.

Al Golden was not the worst hire on the market that year, though he was not a great fit at Miami. At least he had a more significant resume than Randy had.

The job of the UM President is about way more than football, and on the academic side, Shalala far surpasses Frenk.
Larry Coker was hired Feb 2001 and Shalala started June 2001. The 2 hires she was in place for, Randy and Golden, were not even top 40 salaries in college football.

Schnellenberger was paid a top 6 salary and Butch was offered a top 3 salary. It’s just a coincidence we dramatically cut coach salaries when Shalala showed up?

Advertisement
She was in position to fight it. If anything use the media and boosters to try and drum up support for the Orange Bowl. She did nothing. In fact, I remember the first thing she did was negotiate to get us at Hard Rock as if it was a forgone conclusion.
This might sound crazy, but some schools actually invest money into their football stadiums to the tune of tens of millions of dollars. That is if they actually care about football.

With all due respect, you are full of ****e.

There was a ballot initiative in Dade County that APPROVED funding for the OB renovation, which Shalala and UM supported.

There was a SIGNED CONTRACT with Hammes, the company that renovated Lambeau, to do the OB renovation.

Loria pressured the City of Miami to cancel the deal and let him build a baseball stadium instead. The City of Miami breached the contract with Hammes and paid over a million dollars in damages.

Those are the facts.

Everything you said in your post is false.

Advertisement
Back