Sleeping with the Enemy (Shalala)

Yes he was but he had no business being the head coach at Miami. No way around that.
True, but the bigger mistake she made was repeating insanity and promoting within again.

Either way, that's the past, we know she was a huge part of the downfall. Now we gotta get to work like Mario said. No building champions, new Miami, Golden pillars, work. That's the only thing these guys can emulate from our past teams that hasn't changed, the hard work.

Advertisement
Advertisement
No need to re-hash all of this as it’s been re-hashed on here and other avenue countless times.

We need to move on especially now that we have a competent AD and HC and financial backing from some big fish.
I only bring it up because the Schnellenberger and Butch salaries were news to me. Even recently I’ve heard people saying Miami has never paid HCs, and Mario was the first, which is false. You can say whatever you want about UM admin in the 80s and 90s, but at least they cared enough to pay for good HCs.

If UM was paying/offering Butch that much money when Shalala arrived, that means Shalala had to actively decide to stop paying that much. She was sabotaging the football program from within, based on a ridiculous idea that you can’t have a strong academic reputation and a good football program. Please go take a look at USC, which is better than UM academically and has one of the best football programs.

People can bash Frenk all they want, but under him we paid Richt and now Cristobal top dollar, and we invested a lot into facilities. Id rather have a school president who doesn’t care about sports, but at least gets out of the way and puts people in charge who do care, than someone who is actively sabotaging the football program like Shalala was.

As much as I despise Shalala, @423Hurricane is right, lets look to the future, which is now so bright.
There's also something to be said about understanding the history. Too often we've had misfires in this program (or with the Dolphins) and we move on, but neglect to talk at all about what happened previously. Not the complaints on the board, but deeper reporting on poor decisions that were made or the limitations imposed on the personnel.

There was a great book called Shark Among Dolphins that talked about what went wrong in Shula's last year. Cane Mutiny had similar reporting. I'd love to know just exactly what decisions of priority (or lack thereof) were made by Shalala when it came to athletics, and the reasoning why. Why Randy Shannon had no money for assistants, and why the furniture at Hecht was the same furniture as when he was a player. Why Al Golden could not get a simple nutritionist. Or who was really at fault in Butch leaving - Butch or the school? Or why there was no money for the program, why it was said that the school was perfectly happy with seven win seasons as long as the conference money continued this year....until it suddenly wasn't. Was the money that is now being used for Mario, his staff, and the facilities always there and the school didn't push the right levers?

1642878844413.png

Should also be noted that post-2000 the sport went off the rails with how it started paying coaches.

I do recall hearing UM was willing to pay Schiano over $2M a year in 2007 had he got on board, but he turned the opp down because his wife had no desire to leave hometown New Jersey for South Florida (again).

$2M for a head coach in 2007 was a very competitive salary at the time—hardly the dark ages.

Advertisement
Should also be noted that post-2000 the sport went off the rails with how it started paying coaches.

I do recall hearing UM was willing to pay Schiano over $2M a year in 2007 had he got on board, but he turned the opp down because his wife had no desire to leave hometown New Jersey for South Florida (again).

$2M for a head coach in 2007 was a very competitive salary at the time—hardly the dark ages.
Would have been a great hire.

couldn’t see living up there with all those taxes

That’s interesting. So they went from offering top dollar for Schiano to paying a coordinator salary for Randy.

After the FIU brawl on national tv. The canes were once again thugs and trash talking goons. She made it a personal goal to destroy football and eventually all sports at the U. She would gladly take any booster money donations etc from the sport minded donors knowing she was ****in on their shoes and telling them it was raining.

Advertisement
I only bring it up because the Schnellenberger and Butch salaries were news to me. Even recently I’ve heard people saying Miami has never paid HCs, and Mario was the first, which is false. You can say whatever you want about UM admin in the 80s and 90s, but at least they cared enough to pay for good HCs.

If UM was paying/offering Butch that much money when Shalala arrived, that means Shalala had to actively decide to stop paying that much. She was sabotaging the football program from within, based on a ridiculous idea that you can’t have a strong academic reputation and a good football program. Please go take a look at USC, which is better than UM academically and has one of the best football programs.

People can bash Frenk all they want, but under him we paid Richt and now Cristobal top dollar, and we invested a lot into facilities. Id rather have a school president who doesn’t care about sports, but at least gets out of the way and puts people in charge who do care, than someone who is actively sabotaging the football program like Shalala was.
Point taken. We shouldn’t ignore the past lest we repeat it. My point was there’s no sense in beating a dead horse; especially with the current circumstances.

Advertisement
Donna, and her “views” did unimaginable damage to the University of Miami. Whether you are evaluating the athletic department, the law school, the business school, they all crashed after she took over and ran the university like she ran her previous job (and current job).

Little demon.*

* this post advances no political views other than the porster’s utter disgust at the subject discussed therein.

I came across a couple interesting bits of info that fly in the face of the narrative we’ve been led to believe over the last couple decades as Canes football fans.

- In 1982 Schnellenberger was the 6th highest paid coach in CFB (see tweet below)
- In 2000, Butch was offered a contract that would’ve made him the 3rd highest paid (see article below)

Miami was in fact paying top dollar for football coaches up until 2000. But suddenly that changed - Randy was one of the lowest paid, almost coordinator level salary if I remember. Goldens salary ranked in the 40s. Shalala was hired in 2001.

Then suddenly in 2016 (Frenk was hired in 2015) we started paying more for coaches again. Richts $4M was top 20 in the country I believe, and now Cristobal is paid a top 10 salary.

One simple question: why did we pay top 10 salaries to football coaches right until Shalala was hired? And why did we start paying more again right after she left? I think we know the answer.

It’s amazing to look at that list of coach’s salaries. Schnellenberger was getting paid a lot more than established winners at the big public state schools and that was BEFORE he won the national title.

She sucks. And sleeping with her would maybe….probably….likely make me question my love for the ******. Worst thing to ever happen to U athletics.

And yet there are guys on CIS that will run to her defense and swear she wasn’t the problem…they all must be taking an afternoon nap or having an early dinner but I’d bet before this thread dies they will be here to sing her praises….

Advertisement
Back