Simple Reminder...

of the influx of talent we have coming in. The boys are competing and doing well but the talent level on this team is going to get turned up a notch with these summer enrollees.

RB: 2 good players in Franklin and Brown. At least 1 should play some on short distance downs.
WR: Extreme playmaker in Smith(will find a role somehow this year) and 2 good WR's in George and Brinson(Think both brinson/George RS this season)
TE: I like brantley but he probably RS
OL: BIG BABY is a problem and although he RS's he will be 3x better than what CLark gave us. I like Rodriguez too but he's not big baby level imo.
DL: Leonard Taylor will start this year imo at either SDE or tackle. He's just too good and we don't have any gamewreckers on the DL imo. Ishmael/Haye will RS
LB: I may be in the minority but I really like Tyler Johnson and think he'll have a huge ST role this season.
DB: James Williams has to play point blank period! Get him on the field. Curtis will compete with ST's and hopefully do well.

In this list the most important guys who need to make early contributions are in Bold with Leonard Taylor being the most important and James WIlliams a close second. I think Brashard Smith(although the WR is congested) will need to play because we need as many playmakers as possible and he's an easy shoe in out of the offensive skill talent coming in.
I think you're dreaming if you think any freshman are going to start this year. Everyone gets so enamored with freshman. It's going to be hard for any of them to see playing time let alone start. That includes Taylor and Williams. Who is going to be left out of the 2-deep?

DT - Silvera, Harrison-Hunt, Ford, Miller, Holly, Roberts
Taylor is not going to start over Silvera or Harrison-Hunt. As good as he is, I doubt he jumps Ford or Miller. He may get in on 3rd down Nascar packages.

Safeties - Bolden, Hall, Carter, A. Williams
Who does J. Williams replace? Summer enrollee. Not going to start period. Should see the field in different packages.

WR - Harley, Rambo, Smith, Pope, Wiggins, Restrepo, Payton, Redding, Worsham
No freshman WR is enrolled early. What freshman is even going to break into the top 6 WRs?

OL - Forget about it. There isn't a 2021 freshman that has the physicality and strength to even make 3rd team let alone the 2nd unit. 2021 Offensive lineman will redshirt.

So, I believe I've made the case that no freshman will start and very few will even play. This team is loaded with upper classmen.

Advertisement
You guys are forgetting the most important freshman for 2021 season — Borregales. Need to read more Susan Miller Degnan write ups to understand how important the kickers are.

Nice that we have depth and can sit 5 stars. I would still start K Smith at LB and have C Smith as backup to Frierson. Arroyo should get a shot to play early at TE.

WR — Rambo and the emergence of Keyshawn and Restrepo as legit options to push the starters takes the pressure off of starting any of the Freshmen early. But I still think Brashard gets a lot of action. He seems too good to shirt.

The rest I’m happy to see only in limited action provided the upperclassmen do their part.

Advertisement
The reason why Manny is "obsessed with upperclassman" and what you guys seem to forget is each players' knowledge of the program.
The things like knowing the playbook, knowing how he wants them to play, etc. That is why. I remember the same argument where people were getting their panties in a bunch about why Lingard wasn't starting or playing. Then you watch tape and you see him not doing basic stuff like blocking. Then you listen to the interview where Manny is asked about it, and he says something to the effect of they have to 'do all the things right to play'. How does that not click with some of you?
You're expecting some summer enrollee true freshman to literally be starting? Smh I don't even know if that would work in NCAA football 14 haha

What you should be hoping for is that we do what other big programs do and blow the teams out that that we are supposed to, giving the younger guys chances to play and get experience.

I'm not saying it isn't possible for Leonard Taylor and some of the others to be playing and contributing this season, but mainly the WR's, I don't see any freshman WR doing anything. Hopefully they all get their feet wet on some ST packages and play in their 4 games or whatever and then RS.

Why? Schools like Bama, OSU, and Clemson start freshmen EVERY year! They play the best guys anywhere on the field regardless of age
Not at DT. Grown man game. We should all hope that Ford takes the next step.. sub Taylor in for impact plays.

Advertisement
Why? Schools like Bama, OSU, and Clemson start freshmen EVERY year! They play the best guys anywhere on the field regardless of age
This is a common misconception. Yes, they occasionally start freshmen but it’s not common. Alabama didn’t start a single freshman last year. Neither did Ohio State or Clemson. They do find ways to get impact freshmen into games though, even in a limited role. That’s what our staff needs to do more often. Find one way they can contribute right away and use them in that scenario.

I think there’s four freshmen who should get meaningful snaps for Miami this year (not counting kicker) Avantae and James Williams, Elijah Arroyo, and Leonard Williams. Those guys are immediate impact types.

Rare occasion I disagree with EL but I think Leonard Taylor will play this year for sure.

This is a common misconception. Yes, they occasionally start freshmen but it’s not common. Alabama didn’t start a single freshman last year. Neither did Ohio State or Clemson. They do find ways to get impact freshmen into games though, even in a limited role. That’s what our staff needs to do more often. Find one way they can contribute right away and use them in that scenario.

I think there’s four freshmen who should get meaningful snaps for Miami this year (not counting kicker) Avantae and James Williams, Elijah Arroyo, and Leonard Williams. Those guys are immediate impact types.
Bama actually started TF S Malachi Moore & TF Edge Will Anderson.

Clemson started TF DT Bryan Bresee, TF LB Myles Murphy & TF OT Walker Parks.

LSU started TF CB Eli Ricks & TF WR Kayshon Boutte.

Oklahoma started TF WR Marvin Mims, Notre Dame started TF TE Michael Mayer, TCU started TF DE Khari Coleman, Oregon started TF LB Noah Sewell & Texas started TF RB Bijan Robinson.

That's just from last year, I could go back the 4 or 5 years & list a sh*t ton of True Freshman starters at major programs, Bama, Clemson, OH St, LSU, Oklahoma, UGA etc.. included.

It's not rare at all, it literally happens every year, Miami is really the only program in recent memory that doesn't many play TF's.

Advertisement
I didn't say he wouldn't play, I said he'd be a 3rd/4th teamer & Redshirt after 4 games.

None of the TF's are going to start & none of them will crack the two deep.

tbh, it seems pretty tough for a true freshman DL to crack the 2 deep and play a ton right away esp when they're coming in the summer/fall.

I didn't say he wouldn't play, I said he'd be a 3rd/4th teamer & Redshirt after 4 games.

None of the TF's are going to start & none of them will crack the two deep.

You keep ignoring the kicker, El. After Baxa, no Canes fan should forget about the kicker.

Advertisement
@RVACane you mind helping @caneinorlando start his own thread on food. I know he’s old and not sure if he needs glasses, etc but he’s hungry and would like to discuss food. He’s annoying in the fact he keeps derailing the wrong thread with food pics.

At Miami it is.

just wondering, how many TF Dtackles/Dends play right away coming in late at other schools? the only major one I can think of is the Houston kid Ed Oliver. im sure im missing others, so im actually curious not trying to antagonize or anything. fwiw, I hope we get to see LT

edit:i saw your above post, but im more interested on the Line. I think its ridiculous overall that other spots that get burn when its far easier to translate over (I can understand the need to get stronger or bigger when you're playing on the line, but RBs WRs and CB can see the field asap)

I don't think James will start but Manny has liked to rotate guys I'm seeing Tae as the 3rd safety there's no reason Carter or Balom should be on the field over James Willam's! I love Bubba he's been a playmaker an that's what we need is playmakers but Gurvan has been average imo Carter is just not a impact player I could see James starting over Hall sometime this year. Nesta and Hunter deserve to start an if Taylor hits the weight room he should be in the second rotation of Dt's imo dudes a playmaker. Keontra is a savage dude needs to be moved to Linebacker would give us speed in today's game an he's physical would also get Chase Smith on the field behind Freison which that kid is gonna be **** good! At WR I think Breshard will be physically ready but our problem is were log jammed with slot receivers(Harley, Pope, Rambo, Restrepo) there all naturally slot guys having to play outside. My point in this is Brinson should see the field on the outside. Alot of people are sleeping on George too kid is a baller jus needs some weight put on. All this is just my opinion I'm excited about this year. We have a **** good team and a upgraded coaching staff. Manny calling plays agains we should have a **** good year!

Bama actually started TF S Malachi Moore & TF Edge Will Anderson.

Clemson started TF DT Bryan Bresee, TF LB Myles Murphy & TF OT Walker Parks.

LSU started TF CB Eli Ricks & TF WR Kayshon Boutte.

Oklahoma started TF WR Marvin Mims, Notre Dame started TF TE Michael Mayer, TCU started TF DE Khari Coleman, Oregon started TF LB Noah Sewell & Texas started TF RB Bijan Robinson.

That's just from last year, I could go back the 4 or 5 years & list a sh*t ton of True Freshman starters at major programs, Bama, Clemson, OH St, LSU, Oklahoma, UGA etc.. included.

It's not rare at all, it literally happens every year, Miami is really the only program in recent memory that doesn't many play TF's.

I see what you did there. ...... soooooooo, if you were the head coach of Miami, who would you start or have in the regular rotation in 2021 among the TFs?

Advertisement
Back