Silver lining ( a sober look at the defense and defensive staff)

It’s amazing how many of us forget where we were a year ago today. We lost to FIU, Duke, and LA tech in a row.

Some of our fans have unrealistic expectations. You don’t go from what we were last year to an orange bowl winner or NC and if you do it’s not sustainable (looking at you LSU).

manny has addressed every issue that has been identified. I personally give him the benefit of the doubt that he will make the correct coaching changes on the defensive staff once the seasons ends.

Advertisement
Miami's 8 wins were all against opponents the teams should be expected to beat.

Several wins were disappointments, namely UAB, UVA, NC State, and Pittsburgh. Miami was fortunate the latter three games were against backup QBs.

Any equity Manny and staff earned was erased last night.

Manny had no equity. He was a loser that failed. People who are greatly unqualified and work for losers tend to be losers.

Sure there are outliers but Manny had the pedigree of a loser and he failed.

After last year, the only way he could “break even” was...forget that. Nobody could rise above after losing to FIU, GT and La Tech.

Salute to the Miami coaching staff who were well aware of their short coming as far as personnel on defense and dealing with COVID to finish the regular season 8-2. Below are over several reasons to be optimistic going forward.
1) DL: As fans we had some concerns about this group. We weren’t sure about Jalen Phillips who turn out to be good player for us. Salute to manny for getting this transfer done. Also getting Roche to solidify our book ends. We made the move to get Harrison hunte starting over Ford which many posters agreed That was needed and In turn made us formidable upfront.

LBs; we all known that this was going to be an issue from the beginning. With pickney and shaq gone a realist can conclude that it’s a tall task to replace those two and we banked on Mccloud being the solution but well...,we seen how that turned out. Moreover a host of linebackers got their shot to get more reps and show they belonged but we just don’t have that guy. NOW THIS KID FROM USC WHOSE IN THE PORTAL IS A MUST GET HES THAT GUY! Kudos to the staff with doing more with less where this group is concerned by getting 8 wins. I’m impressed

CB: their has been a lack of depth at this position and it got even thinner when Christian Williams left. Tbh our secondary is mediocre at best and have been exposed on many occasions but has been masked by our record. Many people on this fan base want Rump gone but I would have to imagine rump and Ed Reed are friends and either behind closed doors or in meetings discuss what they can do to get the play of the secondary better. And I gotta believe they are taught the best technique to play corner by the aforementioned coaches but obviously it’s always not being excuted and the Cubbard is not that deep to pull from. We need some ballers at corner straight up. Growing up watching the canes I never saw our corners get ran away from.

IN CONCLUSION: We are moving in the right direction. Great job by manny getting this team together and producing 8 out of 10 wins. Blake made the most out of his glaring weakness at LB/CB and put what he and the defensive staff thought were his best options weekend week out also, not having players due to covid. Let’s be real we got smoked yesterday and it was embarrassing moreover it was the second nationally televised game this happened. Listening to fans and pod casters analysts of our tackling and saying we need to change our methods is COMICAL. Last week it was outstanding and yes it was against DOOK but they have scholarship athletes last time I checked ( see their defensive ends) we all get our butts kicked every now and then ( see Michigan Minnesota and Pennstate) So enjoy your slice of humble pie this weekend and see the SILVER LINING in all of this. 8-2 and we’re going to a respectable bowl game and have a good recruiting class coming in. GO CANES!
The Kid Mero Whose Mans Is This GIF by Desus & Mero

At the end of the day you are what your record is.

style points only matter to fans and the playoff committee.

hard to feel good about the season right now because saturdays showing was historically bad.

Salute to the Miami coaching staff who were well aware of their short coming as far as personnel on defense and dealing with COVID to finish the regular season 8-2. Below are over several reasons to be optimistic going forward.
1) DL: As fans we had some concerns about this group. We weren’t sure about Jalen Phillips who turn out to be good player for us. Salute to manny for getting this transfer done. Also getting Roche to solidify our book ends. We made the move to get Harrison hunte starting over Ford which many posters agreed That was needed and In turn made us formidable upfront.

LBs; we all known that this was going to be an issue from the beginning. With pickney and shaq gone a realist can conclude that it’s a tall task to replace those two and we banked on Mccloud being the solution but well...,we seen how that turned out. Moreover a host of linebackers got their shot to get more reps and show they belonged but we just don’t have that guy. NOW THIS KID FROM USC WHOSE IN THE PORTAL IS A MUST GET HES THAT GUY! Kudos to the staff with doing more with less where this group is concerned by getting 8 wins. I’m impressed

CB: their has been a lack of depth at this position and it got even thinner when Christian Williams left. Tbh our secondary is mediocre at best and have been exposed on many occasions but has been masked by our record. Many people on this fan base want Rump gone but I would have to imagine rump and Ed Reed are friends and either behind closed doors or in meetings discuss what they can do to get the play of the secondary better. And I gotta believe they are taught the best technique to play corner by the aforementioned coaches but obviously it’s always not being excuted and the Cubbard is not that deep to pull from. We need some ballers at corner straight up. Growing up watching the canes I never saw our corners get ran away from.

IN CONCLUSION: We are moving in the right direction. Great job by manny getting this team together and producing 8 out of 10 wins. Blake made the most out of his glaring weakness at LB/CB and put what he and the defensive staff thought were his best options weekend week out also, not having players due to covid. Let’s be real we got smoked yesterday and it was embarrassing moreover it was the second nationally televised game this happened. Listening to fans and pod casters analysts of our tackling and saying we need to change our methods is COMICAL. Last week it was outstanding and yes it was against DOOK but they have scholarship athletes last time I checked ( see their defensive ends) we all get our butts kicked every now and then ( see Michigan Minnesota and Pennstate) So enjoy your slice of humble pie this weekend and see the SILVER LINING in all of this. 8-2 and we’re going to a respectable bowl game and have a good recruiting class coming in. GO CANES!
I love it when the Canes staff post on here

Advertisement

I agree with a lot of what you said. However, I do blame Baker & Patke for a lot of our defensive struggles and believe both have to go. The continued usage of Jennings & McCloud was astonishing given the fact that they were consistently bad. The decision to go young at LB should have been made earlier because they couldn’t have played any worse. And even if they did, we would have had the same outcome with more experienced yet physically gifted players next year. Now going into next year (save Flag and rooks) our young LB’s have very little experience. When I look at all the freshman UNC played (played **** well 2) against us, it reinforces my belief that Baker & Patke played it safe with upperclassmen to our detriment.
On another note, unlike many of our fans on this and other sites, I never believed that we were a top 10 team vying for a playoff birth. I believed this team was the bridge to get us to be truly competitive in late half of 2021-2022 & beyond. The only thing I cared about was winning enough to get the studs from 21 class in. Our roster needs a complete rinsing of the jags and under-performers and to be inundated with more top SEC worthy talent.

I guess you dont hold manny responsible for recruiting LB's and CB's......then again after reding that I guess you don't hold manny responsible for anything.

Manny should bite the bullet, fire Baker, and call the defense himself in the bowl game. However, if he doesn't fire Baker within 5 minutes after the bowl game, Blake and Ed (let him earn some of the Chief of Staff money) need to tell him he has to do it or Manny is gone himself.

As much crap as Manny gets on here, they did go 8-2 after he made immediate changes on the offensive side of the ball. Now, he has to do it on the defensive side of the ball.

Blake and Ed need to start scouting coaches out there in case Manny doesn't win at least 9 games next year or allows another blowout like yesterday.

Ed Reed has zero authority

It’s amazing how many of us forget where we were a year ago today. We lost to FIU, Duke, and LA tech in a row.

Some of our fans have unrealistic expectations. You don’t go from what we were last year to an orange bowl winner or NC and if you do it’s not sustainable (looking at you LSU).

manny has addressed every issue that has been identified. I personally give him the benefit of the doubt that he will make the correct coaching changes on the defensive staff once the seasons ends.

So you think thats its unrealistic to expect your team to NOT give up 550 yards on the ground and over 700 yards total in one game??

Advertisement
If we had lost by 3 and hadn't given up more than 10 yards per carry it wouldn't be asa devastating. The concern is that our defense has been exposed and a blueprint exists for scoring on us easily. I think it's better that we discovered this now rather than next year. I'm also pretty happy that we got through the season without discovering it, although we could shrug it off the way FSU, LSU, PSU, and a bunch of others have. We were able to enjoy most of the season and we know exactly where to focus for next year. That's the silver lining I see. The hard part is what will be done to fix it.

Go fvck yourself OP.

King coming here and literally winning Mandy 3-5 more games we had no business winning fvcked this program hard. Gave idiots like OP a reason to say we improved. Delusional dumbfvcks.
This isn’t the nfl. Losing more doesn’t improve your team

600 YARDS RUSHING!

**** near 800 YARDS TOTAL!

FCS teams don’t even do that, but y’all still trying to beat the talent drum?
How did we never make adjustments to stop the run? ****, put 9 men in the box and take your chances, do something. They ran the ball effectively from the first possession until the last and we never did anything to try and stop it. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

Manny should have been losing his **** on the sideline, but hey we can't do that, our guys were "emotionally exhausted."

Advertisement

Did Blake Baker write this? Some of these points are fair, but the overall analysis is way to optimistic.

We were favored against UNC. They lost to FSU.

31-7 FSU-UNC at the half.
34-10 UNC-MIA at the half. No need to mention the second half because most turned it off then.

Go fvck yourself again.
At my age I don’t have enough stamina to **** myself again. 😆 you know how it goes when your in your 50’s I ain’t in Highschool and college anymore 😆

Advertisement
I agree with a lot of what you said. However, I do blame Baker & Patke for a lot of our defensive struggles and believe both have to go. The continued usage of Jennings & McCloud was astonishing given the fact that they were consistently bad. The decision to go young at LB should have been made earlier because they couldn’t have played any worse. And even if they did, we would have had the same outcome with more experienced yet physically gifted players next year. Now going into next year (save Flag and rooks) our young LB’s have very little experience. When I look at all the freshman UNC played (played **** well 2) against us, it reinforces my belief that Baker & Patke played it safe with upperclassmen to our detriment.
On another note, unlike many of our fans on this and other sites, I never believed that we were a top 10 team vying for a playoff birth. I believed this team was the bridge to get us to be truly competitive in late half of 2021-2022 & beyond. The only thing I cared about was winning enough to get the studs from 21 class in. Our roster needs a complete rinsing of the jags and under-performers and to be inundated with more top SEC worthy talent.
good stuff on your post

Cane Passion, are you a member of Manny Diaz's family? Please give me the stuff you are smoking and add some drinks. You sir are on cloud nine. We had two tough games this year and got pancaked, slaughtered, murdered, out played, and many more descriptive words. WE HAD A SUPER DUPER CAKE SCHEDULE in a bad conference. The blame is on MANNY BECAUSE THIS IS THE CULTURE HE CREATED, THIS IS THE STAFF HE HIRED, AND THESE ARE THE PLAYERS HE RECRUITED! It is obvious the player development under Manny is **** POOR. Any way you spin it if you are true Hurricane Cane fan who believes in commitment to excellence ( I love that phrase and thank you Al Davis) this season was DEFINITELY A DISAPPOINTMENT! Without King coming here we lose at least 4 more games.

Hope you're right.

Advertisement
Back