Signing Day Profile: QB Tyler Van Dyke

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Suffield Academy (CT) QB Tyler Van Dyke officially became the first to sign with the Miami Hurricanes this morning in the class of 2020.

The 6-4 210 pounder is currently a consensus 4-star recruit in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Van Dyke is the #209 player nationally, #9 Pro-Style QB in the country, and the #2 player in Connecticut.

Recruiting Story

Originally offered by Mark Richt’s staff last November, Van Dyke was identified by new OC Dan Enos as a top QB in the 2020 class and Enos continued to pursue the Connecticut star when hired by Miami in January. The relationship between the two parties grew from there, and Miami was able to convince Van Dyke to come down on a March spring break visit. For his part, Van Dyke did enjoy his trip to Coral Gables and it helped UM, but most thought that Van Dyke would be a guy that would stick up north, and I said in early April that Miami wanted to get him back on campus again before they felt confident in their chances. Well, that visit happened in an under the radar trip to Coral Gables in late April, over which Van Dyke gave his commitment to the staff. Syracuse and Wisconsin were both considered leaders for Van Dyke at various points.

Evaluation

For a more in-depth breakdown on what Van Dyke would add to UM, I’ll direct you to Roman’s write-up on him, but this is the short version. As a senior at Suffield, Van Dyke threw for 2,260 yards on a 61.5% completion percentage, along with 21 touchdowns and 6 interceptions. Has run a very efficient, under center, play-action type offense in the past and seems very natural in it, but also spent more time in the shotgun in 2019. Gets in rhythm and gets the ball out with a purpose with great placement. A true arm talent that is a very natural thrower who can sling it with high velocity. Can make every single throw in a route tree, an offensive coordinator’s dream. Not a true running threat, and is more old school pro-style, but wouldn’t characterize him as a statue in the pocket either. He posted a 4.91 40-yard dash, a 4.25 shuttle time, and a 27.60 vertical at the Opening New Jersey Regional in April. That type of foot quickness will serve him well maneuvering around the pocket. Well coached with his footwork and is efficient with his drops. Van Dyke is also a three-sport athlete that plays baseball and basketball for Suffield as well.

The Team

Jarren Williams was UM’s starting quarterback the majority of the season, but was benched twice, including during the final regular season game vs. Duke, and he had documented maturity/preparation issues plague him all year long. So, although Williams had some extraordinary highs including breaking the UM record for touchdown passes in a game vs. Louisville and a big game on the road at FSU, his hold on the #1 job is far from secure. Backup N’Kosi Perry was underwhelming in his time on the field, while Tate Martell had multiple leaves of absence from the team. 4th stringer Peyton Matocha spent the year on the scout team and shows potential, but it’s unlikely he’ll rise to anything more than a replacement starter at UM.

Redshirt Probability: 5/10

There’s a ton of variance and unknown variables here. As I outlined above, it’s safe to say that the Canes will be headed into another offseason with yet another QB competition, which makes it huge that Van Dyke is enrolling early in spring, and he’ll have every shot to prove he belongs on the field day 1. There’s also the possibility of a change at OC/QB coach and a completely different system. There’s still a lot to be written here, but regardless, if Van Dyke can elevate himself to QB3 by the end of spring, he will have a shot to compete for the job through summer and fall.

Advertisement
Congrats to this kid. What an opportunity for him....not many kids who grow up in Connecticut get a free $120k education in one of the most desirable cities on the planet. Best of luck to the kid, and enjoy yourself. Although as the QB of The University of Miami, it's gotta be difficult not to.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Old skool pro style lmao. I mean I hope he’s the goods, but *** us. Strong indication that Enos will simply use his strengths as an excuse to keep to the type of offense that has us amongst dead last in the nation. And manny will likely fully bite on the “I just need my guy, this guy!” line hard.

Then when that doesn’t work out only scapegoat Enos after year 2 to stay for year 3.

I truly hope I’m dead wrong and just being horribly pessimistic. But being dominated by FIU will do that.

Good, now Diaz can fire Enos if he wont accept becoming the non playcalling co-OC/QB coach.

I think 2020 QB starter isnt on the team yet. Miami will try to find a transfer QB. Who, I don't know. TVD is #2 QB. Perry and Williams both transfer, which I'm fine with. It's now a pattern of laziness and lack of preparation at QB with these two chukleheads. They had their chance.

Advertisement
Good, now Diaz can fire Enos if he wont accept becoming the non playcalling co-OC/QB coach.

I think 2020 QB starter isnt on the team yet. Miami will try to find a transfer QB. Who, I don't know. TVD is #2 QB. Perry and Williams both transfer, which I'm fine with. It's now a pattern of laziness and lack of preparation at QB with these two chukleheads. They had their chance.

I just have to think that Tate has something to say before all is said and done. Just feels to me like Manny gave him some time away to figure things out and now that he’s back, and hopefully a new OC next year, he may turn into the guy. I just think he’s too talented not to. Maybe it’s me being a homer but I’m not giving up on Tate yet.

Most important recruit we kept honestly. The pro and dual threat label is stupid. If you can throw you can throw out of the gun or under center and if you want to play in the NFL you got to throw out of both. I believe Tyler can do both, he's a good QB and regardless of what you think of Enos it's a good eval.

Advertisement
Old skool pro style lmao. I mean I hope he’s the goods, but *** us. Strong indication that Enos will simply use his strengths as an excuse to keep to the type of offense that has us amongst dead last in the nation. And manny will likely fully bite on the “I just need my guy, this guy!” line hard.

Then when that doesn’t work out only scapegoat Enos after year 2 to stay for year 3.

I truly hope I’m dead wrong and just being horribly pessimistic. But being dominated by FIU will do that.
IF the kid can make every throw, and IF he can take what the D is giving him, he will be fine. Right now our QB room is full of guys that look like they are playing blind.

As long as this kid doesn't go into a shell at the first sign of adversity, he's already ahead of the rest of our current QBs. He's got the measurables. Does he have it between the ears? That's all that matters right now.

Advertisement
Back