**Sigh** I thought I would share...Gary Patterson 4-2-5 defe

You guys haven't watched much of TCU if you think they won with their D last year.

You're right, it wasn't their 18th ranked defense...it was their 5th ranked offense.

TCU also ran an uptempo offense with 80 plays per game, compared to our embarrassing 66. They ran 70 plays per game in 2013, Patterson realized that he needed to change his offensive philosophy to maximize the teams potential. Golden will tell you the team was just closer though.

Patterson don't give a **** about where his D ranks, he cares about Ws.

Advertisement
Just because Patterson’s defenders are reading the offense doesn’t mean they’re passive, though. “Where we are different from other teams is our rule for our safeties: ‘Don’t go till you know,’” Patterson said at a 2015 clinic. “Other teams have their safeties backpedal, but we sit there and flat-foot shuffle. We want you to try to throw vertical. I was a front coach for many years before I became a secondary coach. There is nothing worse than a secondary coach who is always worried about getting beat deep. We want to take away the short game, we want to take away combination routes, and we want to stop the run.”TCU’s defense does all three.

Most teams play base defense against up-tempo offenses as they just want to be sure to get lined up correctly, making them predictable and, in turn, allowing offenses to pile up easy yards, first downs, and points. That approach does not appeal to Patterson: “The first thing you must do is make a good first-down call,”

Quote of the century and what should be the death knell in Paul Williams' coffin, but it isn't. Paul Williams is CONSTANTLY talking about limiting explosive plays. It's his chief priority and it speaks to the defense's overall philosophy.

Ha at blaming Paul Williams. He may suck but he is simply running your butt buddies defense.

Dying of the thought of the DBs coach dictating the philosophy of the defense. Might need to learn a little more about football if you think that is the case.

Read the last sentence in my post THREE more times.

Very confusing post, most of it is suggestion Paul Williams is the problem. "His chief priority" is running what Al tells him to. Why are you even bringing him up?

It wasn't confusing; You simply decided you wouldn't read the entire thing and what you just said was implied if you had read the whole thing the first time.

You just saw an opportunity to jump on a "slurper"...which is ironic in its own way lol

Being from Canada, the 4-2-5 defense resembles strongly the Canadian style football (yes its 12 man up here) due to the safety always int he middle of the field no matter what. It really changes the reads for the QB when you say look off the safety.
Essentially that middle safety takes away any thing over the middle and allows you to play tonnes of cover 1, and tonnes of tricks up front, in my opinion.

You guys haven't watched much of TCU if you think they won with their D last year.

Last year they held 6 teams to 10 or less points scored and 8 teams to 20 or under. This includes holding the #9 team in the country to 3 points in the peach bowl.

Advertisement
They gave up 61 to Baylor but we would have probably given up 100+

Nah, they probably would have just had the ball the whole game and scored 45. You get 61 because GP wouldn't back off and Baylor kept chucking down the field.

“The bottom line is this: Does your defense fit your personnel, and can you fix that defense? When you are in a game and the offense causes you a problem, do you have the answer so you can correct the problem?”

“The bottom line is this: Does your defense fit your personnel, and can you fix that defense? When you are in a game and the offense causes you a problem, do you have the answer so you can correct the problem?”

We could have won so many more games the past 4 years if our coach had this type of mentality. Instead its excuse after excuse on why we didnt get it done. It STARTS with Golden.

Our teams gave up because they didnt have a leader who could put them in a position to succeed when the chips were down. Instead it was back to trusting the process. HOW LONG CAN ONE KEEP HOPE?? Its despicable!!!

Advertisement
"There is nothing worse than a secondary coach who is always worried about getting beat deep. We want to take away the short game, we want to take away combination routes, and we want to stop the run.” - Gary Patterson.

You know the exact opposite that Golden and D'onofrio want the defense to do.

So **** simple. smh.

The biggest mistake UM Admin made was trying to short change this guy when they were looking for a coach. They went the cheap route and look where they are now and look where he is. U get what U pay for.

That's my exact defense, only I utilize the Odd Front majority of the time. I love Patterson's **** mane. I stole all my 2-high principles from him and all my Cover-3 principles from Saban.

Advertisement
Its a great feeling reading about coaches who adjust to fit their personnel and opponents

Gary Patterson never mentions anything about "variances", like lining up in prevent against Georgia Tech on 2nd and goal from the 2, which tells me that he doesn't know what the **** he's talking about.

Advertisement
Gary Patterson never mentions anything about "variances", like lining up in prevent against Georgia Tech on 2nd and goal from the 2, which tells me that he doesn't know what the **** he's talking about.

And are his defenders roaring?

And why waste a valuable d-lineman on some sort of ambiguous "front" when he can be paddy caking and then covering the 3rd option slot receiver?

Advertisement
Back