SIAP - Kentucky Coach Mark Stoops Asked About Miami Coaching Job

Advertisement
I don’t think we have to hire a splash coach.

I think we have to hire a good football coach with a good football mind, and who we determine can be an excellent recruiter and hopefully he brings someone with a progressive offensive mind that runs an up-tempo office but that’s my personal preference. Obviously the coach would also have to be a good manager of assistant coaches - that should go without saying.

The other formula is: we need to find investors in the program. Booster investors that’ll help us with recruiting and with financial support to support the infrastructure of the program. That’s gonna be the hardest part.

Additionally, the new coach doesn’t have to have any ties to Miami. Look at all the Miami national championship winning coaches, what were their original Miami ties?
Understood about those coaches without Miami ties but the point that gets missed with saying is that there weren’t any Miami ties until those coaches created the Miami ties.

The history that we all cherish & love was created by them. Butch came as a direct result of those Miami ties (from Jimmy) as one example, whom created more Miami ties.

To further this.

Could Mario recruit top 10 classes at Kentucky? I seriously doubt anyone could, at least at jump.

I'm more concerned with how a team produces against their conference opponents in relation to their respective recruiting rankings. He's done pretty well in that department.
Exactly. I’d probably wager S Florida had more top 300 guys last year than Kentucky has in the last 5. It’s hard to not sign a top 20 class down here.

Advertisement
Rebuilt a floundering, directionless Power-5 program that plays an SEC schedule in an area with a mediocre recruiting base.

6-1 in the SEC this year.

Massively improved their roster.

Just beat the Gators.

Coached at Miami for three years.

Has blue blood CFB connections.

We'd be LUCKY IF he took the job.
I agree. My comment was about Manny not having the qualifications to coach Donda Academy.

His bowl record is 3-2.

I agree he’s a good candidate. Just not my #1.

Wouldn't be upset with his hiring.
One of those wins was a Jan 1 victory over Penn State. His other two wins were against ACC teams VT and NCST. His only losses were within his first 2 years building the program. When is the last time Miami played a bowl game in January? When is the last time we won 3 bowls in a row?

Kentucky is a cellar dweller in the SEC East. Of course Stoops wasn't going to win right away. He practically built the program up from its foundation.

Mario benefits from being at a program that contended for multiple National Titles in the last decade. That plus the Nike money and USC and UCLA being down from former glory has helped his recruiting big time.

I think Stoops is more like a Johnson or Erikson hire. A lower tier Power 5 HC that can pull of 7 or 8 wins.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’d be ok with Mario if we couldn’t get Stoops. No to Kiffin.

I don’t understand this fanbase. Guy wins the games he’s supposed to win, has proven to be one of the best evaluators in CFB, and has outrecruited people at a 3rd tier school but y’all somehow want a guy who can barely go a season without a bad loss? Or another guy that has lost at 2 of the 3 P5 jobs he’s taken? And who knows how good he is without Corral who he inherited.
First of all, what is wrong with winning the games you are supposed to win?

Second, I like Mario because he’s a decent coach and an ace recruiter. Same goes for Kiffin although he’s not as good of a recruiter.

IMO, if you are gonna miss on a coaching hire, at least make sure he was a good recruiter. That way you leave more talent for the next guy.

I disagree with that - I apologise, I can't recall the name of the poster that does it during the non-Miami game threads, but teams around College football are usually loaded with SoFl players.

It's about evaluation and development - we've sucked at both for years.
@Goulds Cane maybe???

He has interest and has agreed to an interview (without Flake). That is all. Not a done deal. More coaches than I thought are at least interested
Anyone with a brain can look at this squad and know they have a tremendous foundation. The problem is the admin and it’s always been the admin.
The foundation for championships is south of I-4 and everyone in the country knows it.
I’ve said it before that every coach would love to drive a few hrs each week an be able to see some of the best talent in the country and be home for dinner.
Not saying we don’t have to recruit nationally as well. But recruiting nationally becomes a lot easier when your winning. And winning becomes easier if the admin realizes that we are letting money walk away from sofla every year.
The reason Saban, Kirby and other coaches never even considered coaching here is because they know how the school chooses to spend.

Advertisement
We beat Pitt and turn the corner. We beat FSU like an Indian drum. We win out. Win a bowl game. Keep the class intact. Add a few homegrown studs. DVD stays especially since Garcia is a shirt. Manny and the staff stays. We go 11-1 next year.
You obviously haven’t been watching and paying attention and also haven’t looked at next year’s schedule.

We beat Pitt and turn the corner. We beat FSU like an Indian drum. We win out. Win a bowl game. Keep the class intact. Add a few homegrown studs. DVD stays especially since Garcia is a shirt. Manny and the staff stays. We go 11-1 next year.
Lol.

We go 7-5 in that scenario next year. Cmon mane.

Advertisement
This guy pokes his head out of the SEC East every 5 years and beats a couple over rated teams and gets hot.

He’s a .500 coach.

Florida is just about to fire a coach with a much better record at MSU in a much better division.

This is the overcompensation we’d make after so many atrocious coaches. We go with the sure average coach. This guys not getting us beating the Big boys.

Advertisement
Back