SIAP- James Coley

Advertisement
We can go back and forth on who's better as a recruiter but we shouldn't just look at it that way. The coach has to also want to be employed in CG as an important factor. Another is whether the position they specialize in is available.

One of the biggest weaknesses of many of the previous staff was lack of interest and activity in recruiting
That's on Mario. He came in with his own timeline & open checkbook. It's his job to relay his expectations to these candidates & fill out a staff w/ similar visions.

I don't blame Veteran guys for not wanting to put in 100+ hours a week. Leave that to the rooks & guys like Coley who truly enjoy recruiting. Most don't & it's why so many never come back to college once they go pro.

(Forgive any errors, I was rushing through this)
1676645911223.gif

Advertisement
According to the Feldman comments one of the biggest weaknesses of many of the previous staff was lack of interest and activity in recruiting and that is an area that Coley has a very good reputation in. Hankerson and Coley?
Ok, we just had a top 5 or whatever recruiting class. Unlikely that all the assistants were trash & disinterested recruiters. The counter is, 'Well, Mario did this and that, and the class is all Mario.' Great, then maybe Mario should be the recruiting coordinator & forget about the HC gig.

Corey Raymond, Larry Johnson, Zac Etheridge, Demetrice Martin, Mike Reed, Travaris Robinson, JaJuan Seider, Sean Spencer, Terry Smith, Steve Clinkscale, Perry Eliano, Junior Adams, Frank Wilson, Torrian Gray, Brian Jean-Mary, Charlie Partridge, Sonny Cumbie & about 10 others I could name.

A lot of people can recruit, you guys just only see things from a limited scope. The best recruiter in the world is winning & money; win games & offer money & you’ll be surprised how many players you can sign.

But then there’s this other group of guys who can actually recruit AND coach... A mythical bunch they
My argument wasn’t in favor of any of the names I mentioned, I was asked if there were any other Coaches who had just as good if not a better recruiting resume than Coley, so I just listed a number of them off the top of my head.

The point I’m making, is there’s a lot of really good recruiters out there, people just for whatever reason have this fixation with the drooling over Coley every offseason as if he’s the only one that could ever recruit in South FL lol.

The funny part is recruiting South FL is actually one of the easiest jobs in the country for most programs, as long as you offer money to the right people & kiss up to the right HS coaches you can get practically anyone you want. **** Billy Napier used to crush it in South FL, it’s not as special as everyone makes it out to be. Miami has always struggled with it because we’ve been run by idiots for the last 20 years lol.
I think a good portion of fans, myself included, are not familiar with a lot of in-depth stuff outside of the canes, hence don’t know who the elite recruiters are. For some reason, probably due to Miami ties, Coley has been mentioned annually as a great recruiter. Learning and expanding my overall football knowledge is one reason I frequent this site. Appreciate what you share in here🙌

Advertisement
I think a good portion of fans, myself included, are not familiar with a lot of in-depth stuff outside of the canes, hence don’t know who the elite recruiters are. For some reason, probably due to Miami ties, Coley has been mentioned annually as a great recruiter. Learning and expanding my overall football knowledge is one reason I frequent this site. Appreciate what you share in here🙌
Google these names. He's comparing them to James Coley man.

Perry Eliano. Look him up. Get back to me.

According to the Feldman comments one of the biggest weaknesses of many of the previous staff was lack of interest and activity in recruiting and that is an area that Coley has a very good reputation in. Hankerson and Coley?

I really don't see Hankerson coming in a lateral move from NFL unless there are some other issues involved.

Advertisement
Reading this Coley stuff nonstop I think the difference of opinion is there’s people that think if Hartline was our WR coach last year we would have landed elite WRs and other people like myself do not think so

I never said his recruiting was in question, the point is, he’s not the only one who can recruit, Miami fans just drool over him every year.

Offer him the job as a Recruiting Coordinator if he’s this God level recruiter that doesn’t bring anything else to the table.

Otherwise, maybe find someone who can both recruit & coach, it’s not like we couldn’t use someone who actually knows how to develop & isn’t just used car salesmen. We’re not lacking in recruiting as a program, we need coaches who aren’t just sales reps, but who can also specialize in teaching their position group how to elevate their game.

If all that matters is just recruiting South FL, then fck it lets bring back Randy Shannon, he’s a terrific South FL recruiter too.

Is it too late to hire him as ILB coach and Co-DC? (Yes, I'm a big Norland homer)

Advertisement
Mario landed a Top 10 class without winning.

Dan Mullen was already on the Hot Seat going into 2021 despite a 10 win season and an 11 win season his first two years, because of a lack of recruiting.

Jim Elwain’s best class was his last year’s class at UF, despite the 2 SEC East titles, because he hired Seider that year.

Gary Patterson never turned the corner at TCU despite all the winning he did, because the recruiting was never elevated beyond what a P5 bump would give them.

It’s not true that winning cures all. Recruiters matter. It’s why Ron Zook owned Miami and FSU on the trail, while losing on the field.

The benefit of Coley is that he and Mario know each other and seem to work well together. Mario has struggled to keep staffs together. So even if he’s just a so-so coach, the benefit of continuity might outweigh whatever benefit a better coach can provide (particularly if the stay is short-lived).

I really don't see Hankerson coming in a lateral move from NFL unless there are some other issues involved.

Best of both worlds, get Coley for inside WR/TEs and a good technician for outside WRs. If the outside WR coach is also a good recruiter, that's a cherry on top.

Advertisement
Back