SIAP: Chick Making Strides....Finally Gets Real Coaching

Best of luck to the young man but show me on the field Chick.. Show me sir

Totally agree! Too much lip flappin for the great white hope ever since HS. Golden took the bullet for his very average college career which I don't totally agree with. The kid had a 1000 reps to prove himself.... Now he's gotten a second life as an lb. I don't think he's got the instincts or quickness to play that position. Just calling it like I see it. So far, chick = excuses...

Advertisement
When he signed his letter of intent. He could have played at Alabama.
At some point you have to stop blaming everything on college coaches. He was a DL here, and had he played more of a LB roll most people on here would have been screaming bloody freaking murder. Look at how people acted when McCord was out there in a LB roll. I'd rather see McCord as a LB than Chick, so imagine the **** we'd have seen on this board if it was Chick out there getting torched by WRs. And rightfully so. Chick was not a LB here, and we needed bodies on the DL in the worst sort of way when he arrived.

But hey, he also had the chance to play ANYWHERE he wanted. Maybe he should have made a better decision and gone somewhere to play for a proven coaching staff, like so many others have done the last 12 years.

When do the get to really decide where "they" want to play vs where the coaches tell them?

[MENTION=10089]ThomasM[/MENTION].....what do you think Bama would've done for him? You don't think they would've put the 40 lbs on him and played him as the edge setting DEnd too? Or did Bama suddenly turn into a 4-3 one gap defense?

Only difference at Bama would've been that he would've been a reserve barley playing.

Nothing, and that is part of my point. No coaching in the world would make him a better athlete. He would, however, have a harder time blaming Nick Saban for his lack of NFL preparation. Yeah, Golden and company were horrible, but there's not a coaching staff alive going to turn him into Bruce Smith.
At some point you have to stop blaming everything on college coaches. He was a DL here, and had he played more of a LB roll most people on here would have been screaming bloody freaking murder. Look at how people acted when McCord was out there in a LB roll. I'd rather see McCord as a LB than Chick, so imagine the **** we'd have seen on this board if it was Chick out there getting torched by WRs. And rightfully so. Chick was not a LB here, and we needed bodies on the DL in the worst sort of way when he arrived.

But hey, he also had the chance to play ANYWHERE he wanted. Maybe he should have made a better decision and gone somewhere to play for a proven coaching staff, like so many others have done the last 12 years.

When do the get to really decide where "they" want to play vs where the coaches tell them?

[MENTION=10089]ThomasM[/MENTION].....what do you think Bama would've done for him? You don't think they would've put the 40 lbs on him and played him as the edge setting DEnd too? Or did Bama suddenly turn into a 4-3 one gap defense?

Only difference at Bama would've been that he would've been a reserve barley playing.

Totally agree! Too much lip flappin for the great white hope ever since HS. Golden took the bullet for his very average college career which I don't totally agree with. The kid had a 1000 reps to prove himself.... Now he's gotten a second life as an lb. I don't think he's got the instincts or quickness to play that position. Just calling it like I see it. So far, chick = excuses...

Soo, NFL coaches made him transition to a position he doesn't have the athletic ability to play? Riiiiiggghhhhttt. Glad no one gives AF what you think.

Advertisement
I'm curious as to how the initial discussions went with Golden and D'Onofrio when they were recruiting Chickillo. You'd have to assume there'd be a discussion on what type of defense they were going to use and where they were planning on using Anthony. Did he assume the coaches were going to play him as a 240 lb 3/4 end? Did the coaches mention what they had planned? Look, it's obvious the staff used Chickillo poorly (mostly out of lack of anyone else to play his spot) but was he blind sided by it? What were his expectations coming in? I mean if the coaches said "Anthony, we're going to be using a hybrid 3/4 system with a standard 3/4 end on one side of the line and a rush linebacker on the other. We want to make you a 3/4 end" and he signed on for it, it's kind of his fault too. He's clearly better suited as a 4/3 end but I find it hard to believe he had no idea what kind of defense they were going to run before he signed his letter of intent.

Nothing, and that is part of my point. No coaching in the world would make him a better athlete. He would, however, have a harder time blaming Nick Saban for his lack of NFL preparation. Yeah, Golden and company were horrible, but there's not a coaching staff alive going to turn him into Bruce Smith.

That's why, as a coach, you see what a player does well and you put him in a position to maximize his talent. Chick is more in the mold of Jared Allen. He would have been a beast SDE in a 4-3 one gap with coach kool.

He is now playing outside linebacker. That is a clear indictment on how bad our coaches were at recognizing talent and where to put it. It also shows how good of an athlete and how versatile chick is.

This man was **** near a Dt now playing linebacker. If that isn't athletic I don't know what is.

Lets face it. Some of you guys just don't know enough about football and what to look for. You should keep your opinions about players to yourselves until you understand the game a little more.

I'm curious as to how the initial discussions went with Golden and D'Onofrio when they were recruiting Chickillo. You'd have to assume there'd be a discussion on what type of defense they were going to use and where they were planning on using Anthony. Did he assume the coaches were going to play him as a 240 lb 3/4 end? Did the coaches mention what they had planned? Look, it's obvious the staff used Chickillo poorly (mostly out of lack of anyone else to play his spot) but was he blind sided by it? What were his expectations coming in? I mean if the coaches said "Anthony, we're going to be using a hybrid 3/4 system with a standard 3/4 end on one side of the line and a rush linebacker on the other. We want to make you a 3/4 end" and he signed on for it, it's kind of his fault too. He's clearly better suited as a 4/3 end but I find it hard to believe he had no idea what kind of defense they were going to run before he signed his letter of intent.

Lets be real here. Coaches lie. Donofrio and golden told Nigel bethel we would play more press man and attack, just to recruit him. Did they ever do it? **** no.

And even if they had a discussion. Do you honestly think, regardless of defensive front, that chick and his family knew goldnofrio would be the worst defensive coaches in the history of Miami football?

Families and kids get lied to all the time in recruiting.

Advertisement
I hate the Steelers with a passion, but **** it's awesome they've been drafting Miami players. Spence, Burns, Chickillo and McCord now UDFA

He should have gone to Missouri then. You know, where there was a real D-line coach.

That's why, as a coach, you see what a player does well and you put him in a position to maximize his talent. Chick is more in the mold of Jared Allen. He would have been a beast SDE in a 4-3 one gap with coach kool.

He is now playing outside linebacker. That is a clear indictment on how bad our coaches were at recognizing talent and where to put it. It also shows how good of an athlete and how versatile chick is.

This man was **** near a Dt now playing linebacker. If that isn't athletic I don't know what is.

Lets face it. Some of you guys just don't know enough about football and what to look for. You should keep your opinions about players to yourselves until you understand the game a little more.

I'm pretty sure every defensive discussion from these clowns was that they were going to play multiple defenses ensuring players would be able to show off their strengths.

He should have gone to Missouri then. You know, where there was a real D-line coach.

Or trust that the school you want to go to, that your family went to, has hired competent coaches.

Just like the fans, players were optimistic and bought into what Golden was selling.

How can you blame him for that? It'd be different if he wasn't a 3rd generation; but the circumstances say Chick deserves a little slack.

Advertisement

I'm pretty sure every defensive discussion from these clowns was that they were going to play multiple defenses ensuring players would be able to show off their strengths.

It was. Dudes were straight Liars.

So a 17 year old double legacy chose to sign with UM under its 1st year HC, and you're going to blame him for not researching Temple football archives? Come on. Chick was sold a bill of goods just like we all were. He bought it and got fcked.

Yeah, Golden was bad for us, but had we been willing to pay 3+ mil at the time, we get a much better coach. Cheap cheap cheap. "Hey, this dog meat sandwich tastes like DOG!" Well, yeah. Maybe if you pay for something other than dog meat you won't have to worry about eating it. No one knew much about Golden, but we knew he had never proven he could win on the big stage. He was dog meat until he proved otherwise. He never did.

So a 17 year old double legacy chose to sign with UM under its 1st year HC, and you're going to blame him for not researching Temple football archives? Come on. Chick was sold a bill of goods just like we all were. He bought it and got fcked.

Advertisement

Soo, NFL coaches made him transition to a position he doesn't have the athletic ability to play? Riiiiiggghhhhttt. Glad no one gives AF what you think.

I didn't say athlete ability (strength, speed, vertical, etc.). I said instincts or quickness. How about a Nose for the F'ing ball or closing on a ball carrier or causing lost yardage. All I saw was slow *** boy 1 to 2 steps away from making the play for 4 years in around. I'm not sure what the f you saw, but it was nothing special. I think took plays away from more productive players to give him more opportunity, but whatever. Hey its just an opinion. Opinions are like *** holes, everyone has one. Including you butt buddy. They picked him in the Six round. They saw a straight line fast white boy with some "athletic ability". Late round picks are where teams roll the dice. They have Very little to lose. The odds are in my favor the kid continues to suck the big one. Then Of course, you can continue to blow smoke up everyone's ***. Hey maybe he'll have a few more special teams tackles and yahoos like yourself can create 3000 more lover boy posts.

This is literally the 6th year in a row i've seen a Chick is going to have a breakout year article.

Yeah, Golden was bad for us, but had we been willing to pay 3+ mil at the time, we get a much better coach. Cheap cheap cheap. "Hey, this dog meat sandwich tastes like DOG!" Well, yeah. Maybe if you pay for something other than dog meat you won't have to worry about eating it. No one knew much about Golden, but we knew he had never proven he could win on the big stage. He was dog meat until he proved otherwise. He never did.

You don't have to pay a ton of money to find a really good HC. You just have to be good at selecting. Stanford's last two hires didn't cost a ton. Urb came from Bowling Green for a dollar. Dabo was the ultimate cheap hire.

On the other hand, paying a lot doesn't mean you will get a great HC.

When UM hired Folden it looked like a pretty decent hire. We did a poor job digging beneath the surface of the alleged miracle he performed at Temple. Biggest problem was we kept him too long after it was obvious he sucked.

Advertisement
Back