SIAP: Chick Making Strides....Finally Gets Real Coaching

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
Chickillo takes the next step

2016-05-09 7:30 AM | Teresa Varley
Chickillo takes the next step

A year ago, Anthony Chickillo was going through what this year's rookie class just went through. From dealing with the NFL Scouting Combine, to the NFL Draft, and then rookie minicamp, he experienced it all.

And to say it was a learning experience, from the beginning of minicamp to the end of the season, is an understatement.

The linebacker learned what life in the NFL is like, every aspect of it, from the good and the bad.

The reality of it all hit early on when he was released from the team on the final cut down day before the regular season, signed back to the practice squad a day later, and then eventually brought up to the active roster a few weeks later.

It was a whirlwind that opened his eyes up to what taking that next step in football is really all about.

"I didn't know I was going to get cut, but they made a business decision and that's part of it," said Chickillo. "I'm just happy to be here. I like being here. I want to be here as long as I can."

The learning didn't end there for the Steelers' 2015 sixth-round draft pick. Chickillo came to the Steelers after playing defensive end at the University of Miami and had to make the transition to outside linebacker in the Steelers 3-4 defense. So not only was he adjusting to a completely different defensive scheme, he was adjusting to a new position.

"There was some, maybe not doubt, but you're not used to that, you're out of your comfort zone," said Chickillo. "Learning a new position was the toughest thing for me. I was out of my comfort zone, not having done it before in college. I hadn't played since little league, playing standing up.

"There were different things I had to do, just playing in space, dropping in coverage. Those are things I didn't do in college. I was strictly hand in the dirt, playing more like a defensive tackle then an outside edge rusher. So that was a learning experience for me."

Chickillo relied heavily on others for help, from defensive coordinator Keith Butler, to fellow linebackers James Harrison, Arthur Moats and Jarvis Jones. But it was the tutelage of linebackers coach Joey Porter, the two working in tandem, that made the transition go smoothly.

"He explains things always so we can understand," said Chickillo. "He makes it simple for us so we can understand. He is just a great motivator. He makes you really want to play hard for him because you don't want to let him down. He's been huge for me overall and for me learning how to play outside linebacker. I learned that I can play in this league."

And, yes, there was another adjustment to life in the NFL for a rookie, especially playing special teams. Most draft choices never played special teams in college, some not even in high school. It's something completely foreign to them, or at best a throwback to when they were kids.

"I hadn't played special teams probably since little league either," said Chickillo. "(Special teams coordinator) Danny Smith taught me how to play it in the NFL. He taught me the right way to do everything."

With his rookie season behind him, Chickillo is now focused on taking the next step. He is participating in the team's offseason workouts and already looking forward to OTAs that begin later this month.

"You try to get your body where you are almost indestructible," said Chickillo. "That's the goal every time I go in the weight room. I just want to be ready.

"Last year it was all an adjustment. I went from playing every snap in college to not playing and then playing on special teams. I knew my role this year and I just wanted to execute it. This year I want to try to expand my role. I'm going to do everything I can to ensure that. And when we get back to Latrobe it'll be time to prove that I can handle a bigger role."

Advertisement
At some point you have to stop blaming everything on college coaches. He was a DL here, and had he played more of a LB roll most people on here would have been screaming bloody freaking murder. Look at how people acted when McCord was out there in a LB roll. I'd rather see McCord as a LB than Chick, so imagine the **** we'd have seen on this board if it was Chick out there getting torched by WRs. And rightfully so. Chick was not a LB here, and we needed bodies on the DL in the worst sort of way when he arrived.

But hey, he also had the chance to play ANYWHERE he wanted. Maybe he should have made a better decision and gone somewhere to play for a proven coaching staff, like so many others have done the last 12 years.

At some point you have to stop blaming everything on college coaches. He was a DL here, and had he played more of a LB roll most people on here would have been screaming bloody freaking murder. Look at how people acted when McCord was out there in a LB roll. I'd rather see McCord as a LB than Chick, so imagine the **** we'd have seen on this board if it was Chick out there getting torched by WRs. And rightfully so. Chick was not a LB here, and we needed bodies on the DL in the worst sort of way when he arrived.

But hey, he also had the chance to play ANYWHERE he wanted. Maybe he should have made a better decision and gone somewhere to play for a proven coaching staff, like so many others have done the last 12 years.

Fair enough but when he ends up having a long NFL career (barring injury) and you inevitably compare it to his production here then it obviously comes back to coaching and player development- as it has with soooo many other Canes of the last decade + that have performed better on Sundays than they ever did on Saturdays. Not really trying to beat a dead horse here as much as I was just trying to give an update on Chick but it's impossible to avoid when these guys rave over their current coaches.

Man, I hope he tears it up in the league. And I agree, it's sad to see so many players leave here only to excel in the NFL after doing little to nothing here. I mean it's GOOD they excel, but sad they didn't do it here.

It's like I've said before. We shouldn't blame the coaches as much as the cheap administration that hired them. Time after time. I see so much venom for the previous coaches, but it's the cheapskates that hired them that deserve it. You get what you pay for in the real world. We plucked from the bottom of the bargain bin and expected a Tiffany necklace. Should we be surprised we got another piece of junk?

No one ever saw him as a LB here. The frustration was that they took a 5 star relentless and effective pass rusher and bloated him into a fat blob who basically played DT.

He, like most of the guys the last dimwit signed, would have flourished in a 4-3 one-gap pressure system.

Advertisement
Completely agree.

Guess I'm just a little burnt out from 12+ years of crap.

No one ever saw him as a LB here. The frustration was that they took a 5 star relentless and effective pass rusher and bloated him into a fat blob who basically played DT.

He, like most of the guys the last dimwit signed, would have flourished in a 4-3 one-gap pressure system.

You don't always get what you [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]paid[/FONT] for, but you rarely get more than you paid for.

This!

Yes, and equally you should stop blaming parents for children who turn out horribly...

After all, what effect do they have on their children?

Advertisement

When do the get to really decide where "they" want to play vs where the coaches tell them?

When he signed his letter of intent. He could have played at Alabama.

When do the get to really decide where "they" want to play vs where the coaches tell them?

Golden and Donut's training and defensive philosophy hurt more of these kids than it helped. Many have to relearn real football training and techniques.

With both his Grandfather & Father having played at The U do really think he was going anywhere else? And if he had the foresight to go elsewhere, everyone would've been all over him...
And your right if Golden moved him to LB, the boards would've lit up with a ton of negative stuff.... But there's no denying that these kids were not coached correctly... Whether it's all the weight they had him gain, or not playing the right scheme to fit the personnel, take your pick because the list is long...
The one thing all these kids that have made it to the NFL have in common, is they were not coached correctly... It goes all the way back to Shannon & continued with Golden..

But hopefully all that's in the past and the future NFL players from The U will be coached correctly..

Advertisement
If your son had a chance to play for a champion, or Al Golden or Randy Shannon, would you still steer them to UM? As much as I'm a fan of UM, I'd have a hard time sending my son there. Well, now that they've hired a real coach I wouldn't think twice about it.
With both his Grandfather & Father having played at The U do really think he was going anywhere else? And if he had the foresight to go elsewhere, everyone would've been all over him...
And your right if Golden moved him to LB, the boards would've lit up with a ton of negative stuff.... But there's no denying that these kids were not coached correctly... Whether it's all the weight they had him gain, or not playing the right scheme to fit the personnel, take your pick because the list is long...
The one thing all these kids that have made it to the NFL have in common, is they were not coached correctly... It goes all the way back to Shannon & continued with Golden..

But hopefully all that's in the past and the future NFL players from The U will be coached correctly..

I am all for Miami players doing good in NFL and yes...Goldie, Radio, and Clappy all sucked....but some of you are making Chick out to be all Pro player. He is 3rd string player who only played last year due to injuries. Take off the Green/Orange glasses...

Hindsight is 20/20, Chickillo was recruited by Shannon, and after he was fired, Chickillo became part of Golden's very first class...
Who knew what we were getting? Golden said all the right things coming in, he did turn around Temple (although he never had a signature win there), and he brought the legendary Mark D'onofrio with him...
So who could blame an 18 year old kid, that had his heart set on continuing the family legacy at The U?

If your son had a chance to play for a champion, or Al Golden or Randy Shannon, would you still steer them to UM? As much as I'm a fan of UM, I'd have a hard time sending my son there. Well, now that they've hired a real coach I wouldn't think twice about it.

Advertisement
Shout out to my frat Joey Porter. Bruh came to one of my pledge sessions and....well, shout out to my frat. lol. He was great LB, and motivator. Happy to see him work w/ Chick. Chick got screwed here...I don't care w/ none of the haters say here. Look at his stats as a true frosh and look at the decline from there as he got fatter and fatter thanks to Al and Sway's "nutritional" plan. I'm hella rooting for Chick.

I am all for Miami players doing good in NFL and yes...Goldie, Radio, and Clappy all sucked....but some of you are making Chick out to be all Pro player. He is 3rd string player who only played last year due to injuries. Take off the Green/Orange glasses...

I don't think that people are making him All-Pro, but there were so many people here who said he would never make it in the NFL. Keep in mind how far behind a player under Al Golden has fallen in their development. In talent, Chick is probably now what he should have been after his Sophomore or Junior year in college. Instead, he has to waste 2 years after leaving college just to catch up.

No Orange and Green glasses! Chick should have been more productive here. He would've been IMHO, had he been used properly. He was never a 2 gap, 3-4 DE, but Grohlden and NoD fattened him up, slowing him down, and made him play there. Basically converting him to a DT. Smh! Being that he is/was a 4-3 DE, he could definitely fit as a 3-4 pass rushing OLB. Well, that's assuming you actually have a decent coaching staff. Think about how much farther ahead he would be now, if they would've played him there and recruited some real DT's to do that 2 gap ****.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back