SIAP: Chick Making Strides....Finally Gets Real Coaching

Best of luck to the young man but show me on the field Chick.. Show me sir

Totally agree! Too much lip flappin for the great white hope ever since HS. Golden took the bullet for his very average college career which I don't totally agree with. The kid had a 1000 reps to prove himself.... Now he's gotten a second life as an lb. I don't think he's got the instincts or quickness to play that position. Just calling it like I see it. So far, chick = excuses...

Soo, NFL coaches made him transition to a position he doesn't have the athletic ability to play? Riiiiiggghhhhttt. Glad no one gives AF what you think.

I didn't say athlete ability (strength, speed, vertical, etc.). I said instincts or quickness. How about a Nose for the F'ing ball or closing on a ball carrier or causing lost yardage. All I saw was slow *** boy 1 to 2 steps away from making the play for 4 years in around. I'm not sure what the f you saw, but it was nothing special. I think took plays away from more productive players to give him more opportunity, but whatever. Hey its just an opinion. Opinions are like *** holes, everyone has one. Including you butt buddy. They picked him in the Six round. They saw a straight line fast white boy with some "athletic ability". Late round picks are where teams roll the dice. They have Very little to lose. The odds are in my favor the kid continues to suck the big one. Then Of course, you can continue to blow smoke up everyone's ***. Hey maybe he'll have a few more special teams tackles and yahoos like yourself can create 3000 more lover boy posts.

Interesting that you are the only one who seems concerned with the fact that he's a "white boy". It seems to be the most important fact in this discussion. Nevermind the fact that he was a 4/5 star player. Nevermind the fact that he was a 3rd generation legacy willing to come to this program while we were down. Nevermind the fact that noone here said anything about we think he's going to be some kind of superstar, but maybe he could have been a solid player if he had proper coaching and the fact is he is an NFL caliber player who worked his way up from the practice squad which shows there was some talent.

Let's just focus on the fact that he's white, because before he ever took a step on the field, I'm sure you already made up your mind based on something other than talent.

Advertisement

Totally agree! Too much lip flappin for the great white hope ever since HS. Golden took the bullet for his very average college career which I don't totally agree with. The kid had a 1000 reps to prove himself.... Now he's gotten a second life as an lb. I don't think he's got the instincts or quickness to play that position. Just calling it like I see it. So far, chick = excuses...

Soo, NFL coaches made him transition to a position he doesn't have the athletic ability to play? Riiiiiggghhhhttt. Glad no one gives AF what you think.

I didn't say athlete ability (strength, speed, vertical, etc.). I said instincts or quickness. How about a Nose for the F'ing ball or closing on a ball carrier or causing lost yardage. All I saw was slow *** boy 1 to 2 steps away from making the play for 4 years in around. I'm not sure what the f you saw, but it was nothing special. I think took plays away from more productive players to give him more opportunity, but whatever. Hey its just an opinion. Opinions are like *** holes, everyone has one. Including you butt buddy. They picked him in the Six round. They saw a straight line fast white boy with some "athletic ability". Late round picks are where teams roll the dice. They have Very little to lose. The odds are in my favor the kid continues to suck the big one. Then Of course, you can continue to blow smoke up everyone's ***. Hey maybe he'll have a few more special teams tackles and yahoos like yourself can create 3000 more lover boy posts.

So, you didn't say athletic ability but you said "instincts and quickness". ok. What does quickness fall under, smart guy? What happened when Chick was put at his natural position? Even at 280 pounds this is what was said:

Flanagan: “How much has the coaching and scheme today has allowed you to be aggressive?”

Chickillo: “That’s pretty much what the whole thing is. We’re running a 4-3, get off [the line] and you just play. … I’m just out here playing ball.”

Flanagan asked Chickillo, “Where’d you get that get-off?” and the two shared a brief laugh before Chickillo responded: “I’ve always had it. In college, I was asked to two-gap. I’ve always had it. I’m happy I get to use it out here today.”

Thats ^ what happens when you are put in a position to succeed.

So when did any of our Dlineman in the 2 gap system get a bunch of tackles for loss? How you going to close on a ball carrier when you're 50 pounds overweight and out of position?

You say "I'm not sure what the f you saw, but it was nothing special" I saw a very talented and relentless 4-3 pass rusher get turned into an overweight and out of position blob that shouldn't' be judged by idiots who were fans of Al Golden. You acting like Chick was out there getting blown off the ball.

He def. wasn't a detriment to the defense.

Man, do you know how many guys go UDFA or dont get a chance at all? But you're clowning him because of the 6th round? ITs amazing he was even drafted at all according to you?

I don't care if you're on practice squads or just on special teams. If you're getting NFL paychecks you've made it. You're a professional. So how can he suck the big one when he is already getting professional paychecks to play football? Thats the epitiome of WINNING. Anyone who tries to downplay that is an imbecile.

Furthermore, i don't even have 1000 post yet. And i've never defended chickillo in this manner; But when people type/spew asinine drivel out of their fingers/mouths in condemnation of a Cane who sacrificed as much as Chick has i just have to respond.

Interesting that you are the only one who seems concerned with the fact that he's a "white boy". It seems to be the most important fact in this discussion. Nevermind the fact that he was a 4/5 star player. Nevermind the fact that he was a 3rd generation legacy willing to come to this program while we were down. Nevermind the fact that noone here said anything about we think he's going to be some kind of superstar, but maybe he could have been a solid player if he had proper coaching and the fact is he is an NFL caliber player who worked his way up from the practice squad which shows there was some talent.

Let's just focus on the fact that he's white, because before he ever took a step on the field, I'm sure you already made up your mind based on something other than talent.

****, you beat me to it.

That seems to be the underlining point he is trying to make. What an idiot.

TBH, i never see chick as a white guy. Even if he is.

P
Yeah, Golden was bad for us, but had we been willing to pay 3+ mil at the time, we get a much better coach. Cheap cheap cheap. "Hey, this dog meat sandwich tastes like DOG!" Well, yeah. Maybe if you pay for something other than dog meat you won't have to worry about eating it. No one knew much about Golden, but we knew he had never proven he could win on the big stage. He was dog meat until he proved otherwise. He never did.
When he signed his letter of intent. He could have played at Alabama.
When do the get to really decide where "they" want to play vs where the coaches tell them?

So a 17 year old double legacy chose to sign with UM under its 1st year HC, and you're going to blame him for not researching Temple football archives? Come on. Chick was sold a bill of goods just like we all were. He bought it and got fcked.

You don't have to pay a ton of money to find a really good HC. You just have to be good at selecting. Stanford's last two hires didn't cost a ton. Urb came from Bowling Green for a dollar. Dabo was the ultimate cheap hire.

On the other hand, paying a lot doesn't mean you will get a great HC.

When UM hired Folden it looked like a pretty decent hire. We did a poor job digging beneath the surface of the alleged miracle he performed at Temple. Biggest problem was we kept him too long after it was obvious he sucked.

The biggest problem Golden had was loyalty to his coordinators. Coley was a terrible play caller. D'Onofrio failed at implementing a pro defense.
The 3 year NCAA limbo killed any ability to recruit, and by the time it was over the public were calling for his head.

The Clemson game was the final nail in the coffin, but Golden was in the coffin the moment the yahoo article came out and he decided to honor his contract and stay. No coach was going to survive the next 3 years unscathed. It was just an impossible situation.
You can't win without the players, it's that simple. When a sword is over your head for 3 years, it's difficult, if not impossible, to recruit.

Golden is flawed for his stubbornness but to say he is crap is just hate speaking. He's a good not great coach who was placed in an impossible situation.
Bash him all you want but remember this is a guy who was fired then later was at the bedside of Artie's mother when she died. It's not a mystery how Golden flipped our most recent 1st round draft pick from Saban's clutches.
He deserves our dissatisfaction, but the vitriol some of you spew is more on your character than Al Golden's.

P
Yeah, Golden was bad for us, but had we been willing to pay 3+ mil at the time, we get a much better coach. Cheap cheap cheap. "Hey, this dog meat sandwich tastes like DOG!" Well, yeah. Maybe if you pay for something other than dog meat you won't have to worry about eating it. No one knew much about Golden, but we knew he had never proven he could win on the big stage. He was dog meat until he proved otherwise. He never did.

So a 17 year old double legacy chose to sign with UM under its 1st year HC, and you're going to blame him for not researching Temple football archives? Come on. Chick was sold a bill of goods just like we all were. He bought it and got fcked.

You don't have to pay a ton of money to find a really good HC. You just have to be good at selecting. Stanford's last two hires didn't cost a ton. Urb came from Bowling Green for a dollar. Dabo was the ultimate cheap hire.

When UM hired Folden it looked like a pretty decent hire. We did a poor job digging beneath the surface of the alleged miracle he performed at Temple. Biggest problem was we kept him too long after it was obvious he sucked.

The biggest problem Golden had was loyalty to his coordinators. Coley was a terrible play caller. D'Onofrio failed at implementing a pro defense.
The 3 year NCAA limbo killed any ability to recruit, and by the time it was over the public were calling for his head.

The Clemson game was the final nail in the coffin, but Golden was in the coffin the moment the yahoo article came out and he decided to honor his contract and stay. No coach was going to survive the next 3 years unscathed. It was just an impossible situation.
You can't win without the players, it's that simple. When a sword is over your head for 3 years, it's difficult, if not impossible, to recruit.

Golden is flawed for his stubbornness but to say he is crap is just hate speaking. He's a good not great coach who was placed in an impossible situation.
Bash him all you want but remember this is a guy who was fired then later was at the bedside of Artie's mother when she died. It's not a mystery how Golden flipped our most recent 1st round draft pick from Saban's clutches.
He deserves our dissatisfaction, but the vitriol some of you spew is more on your character than Al Golden's.

Golden is a decent person but there's absolutely no proof that he is anything more than an average coach. He's never won a conference,division, bowl and has an abysmal win percentage against good teams. He also pulled in better classes than most of his competition in the coastal, he just couldn't keep them on campus.

Advertisement
The team consistently quit on the guy. If that doesn't say poor coach I don't know what does. The players had no confidence in him or his staff, he didn't inspire(huge aspect of college ball), he sucked at X's and O's, he hired bad coordinators, couldn't close on major talent...what else needs to be said? He's an AWFUL coach. Let's just put it to bed. He's the worst HC in the close to 40yrs I've been a fan. Just plain turrible.

Go Canes!

White Boy?? You must be a black boy. Are you boy?

P

The investigation didn't hurt Golden as much as it could have. Did it effect recruiting? Yes, but we still had enough talent for Golden to succeed. What you are missing here is Golden went 9-4 against one of the weakest schedules I've seen here, in a weak conference in a year we had 7 players drafted. Golden's problem was not the investigation and his choice and loyalty to coordinators was only part of the problem. His biggest problem was he was too afraid to lose games, so he coached not to lose instead of coaching to win and so he lost. This guy (maybe we can call the Florida game an exception) could not be a respectable team throughout his HC career. He's a garbage coach and should have been fired in the 9-4 year.

When I saw him at the under Armour game I thought he was better then that busts that came out of South Carolina
I think he was in a bad system with horrible coaching

Advertisement
Yes, and equally you should stop blaming parents for children who turn out horribly...

After all, what effect do they have on their children?

At some point you have to stop blaming everything on college coaches. He was a DL here, and had he played more of a LB roll most people on here would have been screaming bloody freaking murder. Look at how people acted when McCord was out there in a LB roll. I'd rather see McCord as a LB than Chick, so imagine the **** we'd have seen on this board if it was Chick out there getting torched by WRs. And rightfully so. Chick was not a LB here, and we needed bodies on the DL in the worst sort of way when he arrived.

But hey, he also had the chance to play ANYWHERE he wanted. Maybe he should have made a better decision and gone somewhere to play for a proven coaching staff, like so many others have done the last 12 years.

It's OK to blame George Bush no matter how long ago it was.

White Boy?? You must be a black boy. Are you boy?

He wasn't a ***, though, like that Newberg guy.

The team consistently quit on the guy. If that doesn't say poor coach I don't know what does. The players had no confidence in him or his staff, he didn't inspire(huge aspect of college ball), he sucked at X's and O's, he hired bad coordinators, couldn't close on major talent...what else needs to be said? He's an AWFUL coach. Let's just put it to bed. He's the worst HC in the close to 40yrs I've been a fan. Just plain turrible.

Go Canes!

No, believe it or not, we probably had worse head coaches. Some of the guys in the '70's had worse records, I think. Of course, they didn't have the greatest talent, perhaps because the south Florida goldmine hadn't yet emerged.

Advertisement

****, you beat me to it.

That seems to be the underlining point he is trying to make. What an idiot.

TBH, i never see chick as a white guy. Even if he is.

If his background is Sicilian, by the way, he might not be totally white. Just look at the history of Sicily.(Just saying that because I think a lot of people of Italian heritage in this country might also be of Sicilian heritage). By the way, perhaps the greatest DE we've ever had in the "modern era" was probably Greg Mark, a white guy. I say modern era so as to exclude Ted Hendricks, when most of the players and teams we played were totally white.

Advertisement
Back