SIAP: 2 Auburn CB verbals

Advertisement
I feel like I'm going mad.

What's so attractive about Mario Cristobal? Am I missing something obvious?

has to be name branding at this point. I don't think Mario is a good coach esp at the money he'd command. he can recruit though but that will never be an issue at Auburn no matter the coach

He's definitely not a CB. Physically he can do it, but mentally it's not where he fits.

This is where i got that. Mentally/head/mind all the same.

Now, full disclosure i was being a DcIK
How does...

"mentally he's not a CB" = his head ain't right ???

He has more of a Safety's mentality than a Corner's.
Surely you don't think football is just PHYSICAL. (of course you don't)

How does...

At the HS level most times the more physical teams wins. that's how we were able to smack all those great miami teams when they came to play us.

However no i don't think it's just physical, but ive read on this board it's the coaches job to make sure the kids mentally or mentality is where it should be, but i'll play a long. What's the difference in mentality of a safety and a corner? 1 seeks contact, 1 doesn't. Can you describe this one a little better. maybe it was a misunderstanding

I'm over the NFL/5 Star type CBs as well who are going to get bagged anyway. We might as well find the guys that can be productive at the college level. I was thinking this the other day that the trend for college offenses is to get the best athletes you can, put them at WR, and then air it out to them. How do you counter that?

There's only so many Patrick Surtains out there but what if you took the fastest guys you can find and say "hey, just go out there and cover them" to help counter that? You teach them technique along the way and they would need to be able to handle the defensive mindset but you aren't going to stop modern day college offenses (the good ones) with Blades and Ivey types covering Waddle, Devonta Smith, Olave, etc. Just a thought but maybe we can be ahead of the curve with guys like Clarke, Curtis, and Dawson who could be 2-way guys at the next level having them focus at CB.
Indiana's HC said something of that ilk. He said he only tries to recruit pure cover corners at DBs, so that even his safeties are pure corners that can cover. Unfortunately, Miami has done the opposite. We too many Safeties.

Btw Mullens from Indiana is a south florida kid that can cover some.

Advertisement
At the HS level most times the more physical teams wins. that's how we were able to smack all those great miami teams when they came to play us.

However no i don't think it's just physical, but ive read on this board it's the coaches job to make sure the kids mentally or mentality is where it should be, but i'll play a long. What's the difference in mentality of a safety and a corner? 1 seeks contact, 1 doesn't. Can you describe this one a little better. maybe it was a misunderstanding

It is partially the coach's job to make sure the kid's mentality is where it belongs. There's nothing wrong with O'Brien's mentality. He plays his a$$ off and is a dog on the field.

However...
Some players enjoy/embrace one-on-one match-ups, being on an island, etc etc etc. (Corner mentality)
And some players enjoy roaming the field, being asked to do a variety of things, drop in the box, blitz, etc etc etc. (Safety mentality)

You are missing the obvious fact that he was on Saban's staff. Thus, to Auburn fans, they feel like "he already knows the Alabama area, he knows how to recruit, he knows the SEC landscape".

I'm not saying that makes them right, I'm just saying that's why they are enamored with Mario.

Speed and ball skills. Something we lack right now (outside of Clarke who is in the same mold). It sucks not bringing in that 6-1, NFL type CB but if we end up with Dawson, Curtis, and a portal guy who can contribute day 1, that's not a bad haul. We still need to make changes but at least that gets the numbers at the position up to a respectable amount.
I'd take Dawson in a heartbeat.

Advertisement

Came in as a hot recruiter, won 12 games & a NY6 bowl in yr 2. Learned under Saban. That’s probably why.

Advertisement
How does...

Bro, why are you arguing with “lay” people?

You’re acting as if you’re arguing with me, gogeta, or some ****.

Advertisement
Back