SI article on opt-outs featuring Rousseau

Did he quarantine away from his mom for the past year? I dont doubt that his reasoning is true - I just doubt he was given good advice or perspective. Yes his mom was seeing people die of covid - but not his age.

Advertisement
Daily testing and protocols. He was going to be around people either way.
Why would we assume that he would be around people (and certainly the same amount of people) either way? Maybe he was - I obviously don't know what Greg did or didn't do, but I personally would assume that the type of person that decides to sit out due to health concerns would take additional precautions not to be around many people particularly in situations that would be more conducive to catching COVID.

Again, I realize that my situation is not the same as others and certainly not his, but I was able to limit my time around others to brief trips indoors (with a mask around other people with a mask) for things like grocery shopping or picking up food from a restaurant, hanging out with friends I trusted in outdoor settings and exercising either at my place or outdoors.

He obviously needs do training at a much higher level than me, but I am sure that he would be able to make arrangements to do so in a way that limits exposure especially since he could sign with an agent that would provide $ to do so.

I'm not arguing that he did or didn't make the right decision (and honestly I don't think either way was right or wrong), but I do think that some of the reasons for why he should have or shouldn't have played are being made with assumptions that would support people's opinion on whether he should or shouldn't have played.

These interviews are stupid, NFL doesn't c

These interviews don't mean ****t, is just another way executives justify their jobs and continue with their plantation mentality by trying to humiliate their potential employees who are mostly african american.
NFL doesnt care about character.
There re plenty of players that aren't choir boys in nfl and will continue to get a contract as long as they can play.
If Deshawn Watson was a backup he would be out of a job.

Disagree on all of this. I won't comment on your view of the interview process except to say that I seriously doubt these GMs and coaches would waste their time this way in order to purposefully humiliate their prospective employees. That wouldn't just be counter-productive, but it would also be a giant waste of time.

As far as character, it matters. To your success and to the NFL. Teams take players off their draft board all the time because of character concerns, especially when those character concerns directly impact a player's potential availability/willingness to play the games.

Widely reported that Tunsil would have been drafted 6th overall back in 2016. The night before the draft a video surfaces on Twitter of him purportedly smoking weed via a gas mask and he slides to 13. Ravens took him off their board and other teams cooled on him. La’El Collins wasn't even drafted in 2015 because the police wanted to talk to him about the shooting of an ex-girlfriend (charges were never filed against him). Jenkins sliding to the second round. ****, even Kevin Dyson was drafted ahead of Randy Moss (slide to 21st) in 1998.

Do they care about talent more? Of course. But to say the NFL doesn't care about character is demonstrably false.

Last edited:
I agree, but unlike the other players Greg only has one year of tape...and to be honest it’s not really a full year. Has only been playing DE for a short amount of time. Has an injury history. In the eyes of the NFL that’s three red flags right there and you could say he has 4 for sitting out. 3 years down the road, say the unlikely happens that Greg is a bust...it’s going to be hard for that GM to justify himself to an impatient owner at that time why we spent a top 15 pick on a guy with 4 red flags. Whoever takes him early in the first round is basically banking their current job on Greg.
Executives will have to answer for whoever they take. Say Greg is a Pro Bowler who gets taken after Carlos Basham Jr, an ACC end who is two years older than Greg. Speculate that Basham busts. Questions will be asked by fans, media and the owner. There is risk involved with any pick. Most of these dudes have injury histories. Lawrence, Wilson, Sewell, Rousseau, Phillips, etc. I'd be more concerned about Phillips' concussion history (a couple - maybe just one - more and he could be done forever) than Rousseau's injury history. Greg only needs one team to fall in love and some team will. Strong organizations like the Packers, Steelers, and Ravens will not let whoever they draft this year be the defining moment for their top executives.

The majority of first round picks do not reach the expectations though. These executives are lucky if they make it to five years on the job. What owner would be dumbfounded when their GM drafts a 6'6.5 DE with long arms, production (albeit limited), and a UMiami background? Greg is first team get off the bus. Now, a top 10 pick and picks 17-32 have different standards. That caution I can understand.

No GMs job will be lost on just Rousseau. Jerry Reese, who won two Super Bowls, lasted ten years. Flowers was a huge misstep for him, but Flowers is not the reason why Reese lost his job. Ben McAdoo was a bigger misstep than Flowers. Steve Balmer is likely still mad that Doc Rivers and Lawrence Frank passed on Michael Porter Jr. Balmer fired Doc for playoff losses not for missing on a high upside draft pick with question marks.

John Dorsey hired Andy Reid and drafted Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, and Patrick Mahomes. Still got fired two months after drafting Mahomes and going 12-4.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The problem True is that the NFL Coaches did not follow this logic.... for them the story begins, that is why it is asked in most instances...
Why did the other guys play who had horrible conditions , and with extenuating circumstances we may never had heard.
It would be moot if he had played, and produced recent work which could be evaluated.
Combine numbers did not help either......
Many moving parts here, but we wish GR the best, and proud of him as an ex-Cane.

WTF!!!

Has April 29th the Official NFL Combine date (The only one that counts) come and gone already???

Either we've ALL been sleep OR you don't know WTF you're talking about.

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/rousseau-opts-out-f.162247/post-4790325

wrong. just lost millions. literally just got txt from 2 NFL scouts. horrible decision. he does not have enough tape.

-------------------------------

calling @Tetragrammaton Cane @MainLineCane @CAT5Coming @Miramarcanes

My problem with the "he lost millions" is - this assumes he would've had a year that would've erased the current questions about him (and that was the ONLY outcome).

If he played last year and put up film that didn't address the current questions about him - he could've lost millions.

If he played last year and got hurt - he could've lost millions.

If he played last year - that wouldn't have changed him having a bad Pro Day.

While I think playing last year was a great opportunity to improve his draft stock, but opportunities don't = 100% success.

Last edited:
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/rousseau-opts-out-f.162247/post-4790325

wrong. just lost millions. literally just got txt from 2 NFL scouts. horrible decision. he does not have enough tape.

-------------------------------

calling @Tetragrammaton Cane @MainLineCane @CAT5Coming @Miramarcanes
Did you read the post that you replied to? He didn't say it was the best decision financially or for draft position. You may disagree that it was worth the money he is likely to forfeit - **** Greg might decide in retrospect he wished he had played, but I don't know how you can say someone is wrong for deciding that they believed tradeoff was not worth it at the time.

If there was a certain first round pick and he decided to retire b/c he had 10 concussions would that be 'wrong'? What if they had 5? 3? 1? What if they hadn't had any, but decided they didn't want the where on their body? Who decides what someone else believes is in their best interest? It's clearly a subjective decision even if the majority of people don't agree with it.

What I never understood is why it was thought to be safer away from the team and it's safety protocols in comparison to signing with an agent an being on your own in different cities training around people who's not constantly being tested?

I think Covid was used as an excuse to save his draft stock and get some quick money. He quit, signed with an agent and bought his mother a house or whatever. Every kids dream is to be able to take care of their family so I get it but just be honest about it. I wish there was data to compare the efficacy of transmission over the past season as a football athlete compared to a normal citizen.

🎯 🎯🎯

Advertisement
Rousseau let Drew Rosenhaus convince him and his mom that he’s going to be a top 10 pick no matter what so they used COVID as the excuse. I wonder if his mom had him tucked away in a basement and hazmat suit the entire CFB season last year?? Doubt it so the excuses is a bunch of bs.

Rousseau let Drew Rosenhaus convince him and his mom that he’s going to be a top 10 pick no matter what so they used COVID as the excuse. I wonder if his mom had him tucked away in a basement and hazmat suit the entire CFB season last year?? Doubt it so the excuses is a bunch of bs.

Congratulations on finding a Greg Rousseau thread that you haven't been banned from.

Troll away.

No one, whose job was to evaluate these kids would have been doing their job if they did not ask him this question. Football is a team sport where you risk injury and career every time you step on the field. Not everyone is made for that battle. I think its valid to want to know the whole story. If he got a job so his mom could not be a nurse on the front lines then props. But I would want to know if he made this decision to reduce the risks for him (or his family) and I would want to know if he still participated in activities that did not reduce the risks. The latter would be highly questionable move and possible evidence of a character issue. To me its really that simple.
Well typed

He opted out because his mom was a COVID nurse and she begged him to do it.

Obviously, it was not the best football decision. He would’ve gotten double-digit sacks in his sleep and been a lock Top 10 pick. Now he’s looking at a potential Calais Campbell situation.
While I’m bullish on him as a prospect, your assessment isn’t the only likely outcome of him having come back. He had 15.5 sacks as a frosh and it isn’t going to assure him a top 10 spot. No one doubts he would get sacks had he come back. In the top 10, they’re picking apart his game, and unless it improved, they’d just have more examples of what they already have.

Advertisement
While I’m bullish on him as a prospect, your assessment isn’t the only likely outcome of him having come back. He had 15.5 sacks as a frosh and it isn’t going to assure him a top 10 spot. No one doubts he would get sacks had he come back. In the top 10, they’re picking apart his game, and unless it improved, they’d just have more examples of what they already have.
There's a vacuum of information, which allows people to overthink things. If he's a 6'7 giant coming off back-to-back 10+sack seasons, someone is taking him high. It's different when you can write him off as a one-year wonder.

There's a vacuum of information, which allows people to overthink things. If he's a 6'7 giant coming off back-to-back 10+sack seasons, someone is taking him high. It's different when you can write him off as a one-year wonder.
I don't want to disagree with you because I'm bullish on him as a prospect, but when you read the NFL assessments, they're not wrong about the development points they identify. Top 10 is competitive. Phillips measured great and he's probably not going there.

Disagree on all of this. I won't comment on your view of the interview process except to say that I seriously doubt these GMs and coaches would waste their time this way in order to purposefully humiliate their prospective employees. That wouldn't just be counter-productive, but it would also be a giant waste of time.

As far as character, it matters. To your success and to the NFL. Teams take players off their draft board all the time because of character concerns, especially when those character concerns directly impact a player's potential availability/willingness to play the games.

Widely reported that Tunsil would have been drafted 6th overall back in 2016. The night before the draft a video surfaces on Twitter of him purportedly smoking weed via a gas mask and he slides to 13. Ravens took him off their board and other teams cooled on him. La’El Collins wasn't even drafted in 2015 because the police wanted to talk to him about the shooting of an ex-girlfriend (charges were never filed against him). Jenkins sliding to the second round. ****, even Kevin Dyson was drafted ahead of Randy Moss (slide to 21st) in 1998.

Do they care about talent more? Of course. But to say the NFL doesn't care about character is demonstrably false.

I agree many players slide in the draft because of character concerns, yet that doesn't stop that player from having a long successful career.
Randy Moss is the perfect example of stupidity by nfl executives.
All the teams that passed on him were dumb for doing so with the exception of the colts.

Advertisement
Looks like Greg is one of 10 players who have confirmed they will attend the draft in cleveland. Others who have confirmed include Patrick Surtain, DeVonta Smith, Mac Jones, Christian Barmore and Trey Lance, Kyle Pitts, Micah Parsons, Caleb Farley and Ja'Marr Chase

I think Parsons will be a better indicator. You, of all people, know that GR isn’t a finished product. I can see why he might slip.

Parsons looks like the total package and has more film. He will be telling.
Sewell and Slater sat too. At least one of them will be a Top 10 pick.

Looks like Greg is one of 10 players who have confirmed they will attend the draft in cleveland. Others who have confirmed include Patrick Surtain, DeVonta Smith, Mac Jones, Christian Barmore and Trey Lance, Kyle Pitts, Micah Parsons, Caleb Farley and Ja'Marr Chase
But but Covid.....

J/P lol I’m happy for Greg. Hope he balls wherever he goes!

Advertisement
Back