SI article on opt-outs featuring Rousseau

Hindsight is 20/20, so I understand it's easier discussing everything now in comparison to 8 months ago when there was a lot more uncertainty.

Think the question I would ask Greg if I was a scout would be:
-Knowing all that we know about Covid and how the season transpired, if you had to go back to that moment would you make the same decision to opt out?t
The question still doesn’t matter. Do you expect him to say I would’ve played had I known it was unlikely to kill me? Lol
His answer would be yes. I opted out because I didn’t want covid and my mother is a nurse who saw it killing people. I will have the vaccine before the draft and can move forward playing football. I can’t wait to get on the field. End of story.

Advertisement
Money, Greg is quoted alluding that he opted out to pay for his parents to stop working on the front lines. He did it to take care of his parents not because his moms pressured him.

“Really it was just that my mom and dad are both on the front lines,” Rousseau said. “My mom is a COVID nurse and for me to have the opportunity to help them…if I wasn’t able to help them, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. That was definitely what pushed me to make that decision."

I’m sure DMoney has a bit more information than you....

What I never understood is why it was thought to be safer away from the team and it's safety protocols in comparison to signing with an agent an being on your own in different cities training around people who's not constantly being tested?

I think Covid was used as an excuse to save his draft stock. He quit, signed with an agent and bought his mother a house or whatever. Every kids dream is to be able to take care of their family so I get it but just be honest about it. I wish there was data to compare the efficacy of transmission over the past season as a football athlete compared to a normal citizen.

Yeah, because "the team and its safety protocols" were soooooooo effective. We had multiple players and coaches contract COVID, and even more who were forced to sit out for contact-tracing.

Did Greg get COVID "being on his own in different cities training around people who's not constantly being tested"? And how do you know what his protocols were? Regardless of your seemingly extensive knowledge of everything about Greg Rousseau over the past year, from a PURELY COVID STANDPOINT, Greg seems to have come out of the last year with less impact to his health than, say, Al Blades Jr.

And stop it with apples-oranges comparisons (which will probably not work out well anyhow). Greg's comparison is not to "a normal citizen", it is to a person who took significant precautions. Or his UM teammates. And Greg seems to have done quite well on both counts.

As for the (not very relevant) comparison of transmission between "a football athlete" and "a normal citizen"...

Through today...approximately 31.5 million reported COVID cases in the US on a population of 328.2 million, which is a 9.6% transmission rate for a period exceeding one year. For a football team of 85 players, that equates to 8 players. Therefore, if fewer than 8 players on a team contracted COVID, then those oh-so-impressive "football team safety protocols" could be deemed to be effective, and if more than 8 players on a team contracted COVID, then the transmission stats would be WORSE than those for "a normal citizen".

Without knowing EXACTLY how many players contracted COVID vs. the number who were ruled out for contact-tracing...but given the length of time many players were out and how many teams across the country had to cancel/reschedule games due to COVID outbreaks...it certainly seems like the number of COVID infections per team may well have exceeded 8. In some cases, by large margins.

But, again, unless you have evidence that Greg Rousseau contracted COVID in the past year, then it would appear that HIS HEALTH was protected by his decision. Maybe not his draft position, but that's a different issue.

I'm not sure where the "Covid was used as an excuse to save his draft stock" comes from. HOW? Everyone who opted out has cited COVID. It's not like Greg concocted some brilliant plan that only he has been able to take advantage of. And in a year where Greg could have played in a DE rotation with Jaelan Phillips and Quincy Roche, it is not so crazy to think that he could have had 11.5 sacks, which is how many Kwity Paye had IN FOUR YEARS. Are you honestly making some sort of argument that Greg would have done SO POORLY in 2020 that he would have LOWERED his draft position? Because, if not, the only other options are "same draft position" and "higher draft position".

For right or wrong, Greg made his decision based on COVID and the input of his mother. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but I hardly think it was "an excuse to save his draft stock".

Regardless of the reasoning it's another good cautionary tale for young Canes who see their names plastered on early ESPN mock drafts.

Also remains to be seen if Micah Parsons gets the draft capital he was expecting when he opted out, and his 2019 film is elite.

Advertisement
I agree with you on the first part. It was always safer to play. But we’re talking about a mother and her son in a time of uncertainty. Her fears were probably genuine after some of the things she had seen.

Rousseau never struck me as a guy who just wanted money. His background isn’t particularly rough and his coaches always gave him glowing reviews as a teammate (unlike Garvin and Bandy the year before).
Not to thread jack, what were teammates saying about Garvin and Bandy?

Love GR and understand his decision to sit out, but when was the last time a guy sat out a year and went in the first or 2nd round? Unless you’re a HOF type coach or GM, you run the high risk of sinking your career by drafting a bust in the 1st round...especially a guy who sat out a year, only had a year of tape, and has some durability concerns. Not saying that GR will be a bust, I actually think the opposite, but I understand why teams are being cautious with him.

Did you not see how many people in the world got Covid? Don't think they all play football. Who's to say the football players that got Covid got it from being around players or coaches and not family members, friends etc...

All i'm saying is I see the struggle from a parents perspective with the unknown but id rather have my child in a controlled environment with strict safety protocols and frequent testing.

Since you claim to be a physician, I am shocked by your assumptions about the efficacy of this "controlled environment with strict safety protocols and frequent testing".

First, you seem to have ignored the stories, videos, and social media postings which evidence that MANY students at UM (and lots of other universities) were simply flouting the "controlled environment with strict safety protocols".

Second, you then try to spread the potential blame for COVID transmission to "family members, friends, etc.". So, YES, in spite of "controlled environment with strict safety protocols", football players were subjected to a LARGER than normal pool of people with whom they interacted, and many of those interactions were in close-up situations without masks and with lots of bodily fluids flying about, such as spit and sweat.

And even this supposed "controlled environment with strict safety protocols" does not seem to have produced statistical results which were BETTER than what was experienced in the general population. In other words, if the rate of transmission for college football players was WORSE than what was experienced in the general population, would you stop relying on this myth of "controlled environment with strict safety protocols"?

All I'm saying is that the COVID precautions either (a) did not work as well as promised/hoped, or (b) worked somewhat, but not enough to offset the massive amount of close-physical-contact required in football.

Advertisement
No it doesnt, talent is what matters, Warren Sapp fell in the draft because a marihuana positive while in college.
He had a better career than every player picked before him.

Saying character does not matter is just absurd.

Ryan Leaf had all the talent in the world and a cannon attached to his right shoulder. Huge bust because of poor work ethic, party attitude, drugs, etc.... Dion Jordan was drafted 3rd overall and then became a huge joke of a bust because he couldn't stay clean. Brian Bosworth and Tony Mandarich on the juice, drinking, and otherwise being knuckleheads. Trent Richardson being fat and lazy.
The 1st round of the NFL draft is literally littered with dudes whose poor character, notwithstanding obvious talent, caused them to fail.

I'm not saying GR is any of those guys, but of course an NFL team is going to do their due diligence in an interview when they are considering a multi-million dollar investment in these kids.

So let's say he did play in 2020. Would Phillips have been the 3rd guy in that DE rotation? If so, pretty sure Phillips would be back in 2021. I'm just talking out of my *** here. Good luck to Greg, I wish him a bright future playing in the league.

Yep. If you think about it, we took Roche's transfer (January 2020) before Greg opted out (August 2020).

So...at one point, we were not exactly expecting Jaelan Phillips to have a single season that would put him in the top half of the first round.

But it would have been a nice "problem" to have, lining up those 3 DEs at the same time.

So let's say he did play in 2020. Would Phillips have been the 3rd guy in that DE rotation? If so, pretty sure Phillips would be back in 2021. I'm just talking out of my *** here. Good luck to Greg, I wish him a bright future playing in the league.
Yea we lost alot with that move, it was a domino affect.. Now we got freaking #53 at DE.. fml

Advertisement
Yeah, because "the team and its safety protocols" were soooooooo effective. We had multiple players and coaches contract COVID, and even more who were forced to sit out for contact-tracing.

Did Greg get COVID "being on his own in different cities training around people who's not constantly being tested"? And how do you know what his protocols were? Regardless of your seemingly extensive knowledge of everything about Greg Rousseau over the past year, from a PURELY COVID STANDPOINT, Greg seems to have come out of the last year with less impact to his health than, say, Al Blades Jr.

And stop it with apples-oranges comparisons (which will probably not work out well anyhow). Greg's comparison is not to "a normal citizen", it is to a person who took significant precautions. Or his UM teammates. And Greg seems to have done quite well on both counts.

As for the (not very relevant) comparison of transmission between "a football athlete" and "a normal citizen"...

Through today...approximately 31.5 million reported COVID cases in the US on a population of 328.2 million, which is a 9.6% transmission rate for a period exceeding one year. For a football team of 85 players, that equates to 8 players. Therefore, if fewer than 8 players on a team contracted COVID, then those oh-so-impressive "football team safety protocols" could be deemed to be effective, and if more than 8 players on a team contracted COVID, then the transmission stats would be WORSE than those for "a normal citizen".

Without knowing EXACTLY how many players contracted COVID vs. the number who were ruled out for contact-tracing...but given the length of time many players were out and how many teams across the country had to cancel/reschedule games due to COVID outbreaks...it certainly seems like the number of COVID infections per team may well have exceeded 8. In some cases, by large margins.

But, again, unless you have evidence that Greg Rousseau contracted COVID in the past year, then it would appear that HIS HEALTH was protected by his decision. Maybe not his draft position, but that's a different issue.

I'm not sure where the "Covid was used as an excuse to save his draft stock" comes from. HOW? Everyone who opted out has cited COVID. It's not like Greg concocted some brilliant plan that only he has been able to take advantage of. And in a year where Greg could have played in a DE rotation with Jaelan Phillips and Quincy Roche, it is not so crazy to think that he could have had 11.5 sacks, which is how many Kwity Paye had IN FOUR YEARS. Are you honestly making some sort of argument that Greg would have done SO POORLY in 2020 that he would have LOWERED his draft position? Because, if not, the only other options are "same draft position" and "higher draft position".

For right or wrong, Greg made his decision based on COVID and the input of his mother. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but I hardly think it was "an excuse to save his draft stock".
Like some of the points you presented.

I think my primary argument is based on the availability/frequency of testing as a student athlete in comparison to opting out. The amount of unknowns obviously is the grey area that makes this decision interesting.

You‘re right, there’s a lot of unknowns about Gregory’s health and whether he got Covid or anything else.

Advertisement
Saying character does not matter is just absurd.

Ryan Leaf had all the talent in the world and a cannon attached to his right shoulder. Huge bust because of poor work ethic, party attitude, drugs, etc.... Dion Jordan was drafted 3rd overall and then became a huge joke of a bust because he couldn't stay clean. Brian Bosworth and Tony Mandarich on the juice, drinking, and otherwise being knuckleheads. Trent Richardson being fat and lazy.
The 1st round of the NFL draft is literally littered with dudes whose poor character, notwithstanding obvious talent, caused them to fail.

I'm not saying GR is any of those guys, but of course an NFL team is going to do their due diligence in an interview when they are considering a multi-million dollar investment in these kids.

Yes, but the "character" issues you are citing are MUCH different from what is being said of Greg.

Furthermore, at a similar chronological age, Jaelan Phillips quit football entirely. Not to go work out and prepare for the draft, but he quit football altogether. Again, over his health.

Yet now Jaelan is "supposed to be" drafted higher than Greg. And with "only one year of productivity".

It's just funny, the inconsistency of analysis by these scouts and "experts". And hiding behind "character". Greg has tremendous "character". I'm not sure why people are acting like it is some sort of lazy act for him to opt out, WHEN ONE OF OUR PLAYERS ACTUALLY CONTRACTED MYOCARDITIS. You know, the COVID complication that many porsters were mocking the Big 10 over just 9 months ago.

Nobody knows what the 100% "right answer" is. There may be no "right answer". Greg did what he did to protect his health and future, and that is not a "character" issue.

No way Rousseau isn’t a 1st round pick. NONE. I highly doubt he makes it to the teens. The only defensive players MAYBE drafted ahead are Parsons, Surtain, and Phillips. That’s it barring a shocker. Would you take any defensive player over Rousseau? I sure as **** wouldn’t. Almost every team had a GM or HC at the pro day. They saw how he’s the biggest dude on the field who runs like a gazelle. Did I mention he had 15.5 sacks as a redshirt frosh who didn’t even start the whole season? Oh yeah, he took the seniors job, who ESPN has rated as the number one returning DE. The guy transferred to Colorado State because he’d never play with Greg here.
Parsons is a 3-4 LB. Phillips is a 4-3 DE. Rousseau can play in any scheme which makes him the most valuable defensive player in the draft. Don’t overthink it.

Advertisement
Back