Shocked to Learn That Richt, Diaz and Kool Were Not Fired

What offensive plays were you mad about during the first half? If several drives weren't stalled by drops and the running game wasn't slowed down with the loss of Walton, the first half would look very different offensively.

It was the lack of plays. Yes, the drops hurt, but there were parts of the field that looked off limits to Rosier through 6 quarters of play. It looked like Richt didn't trust Rosier, or was holding back. The second half the entire field was being attacked, and the results were evident.

I disagree with this as far as the first half against Toledo is concerned (no argument here regarding the ineffective playcalling against BCU). I was at the Toledo game then went back and watched it again on Sunday.

First, and just as a matter of specificity, Toledo started the game with the ball and Miami scored on each of its 1st quarter possessions. So we honestly shouldn't be talking about a poor half of offense, just a poor quarter (the 2nd).

And even in the second quarter, the offensive playcalling was not the problem and not as conservative as some people on this board are making it out. There were several passing plays called on first and second down. And there were shots taken downfield. The problem is, several of those shots didn't work out because of execution.

Did the offense sputter in the 2nd quarter quarter (especially when the undisputed leader of our offense went down)? Yes, it did. But to my eye that was more a lack of execution (drops, especially) than poor playcalling. If a few of the dropped passes in the first half are completed, there might have been another 10-17 points on the board going into halftime. For instance, I thought Dionte Mullins should have caught the drop down the sideline at the start of the second quarter (that catch would have, at least, put us into field goal range). It has been discussed ad nauseum how Harley dropped the ball that hit him in the hands in the second quarter (that's at least a 15 yard first down and a TD if he can make one man miss). And ****, even going back to the 1st quarter, Malik overthrew Berrios for a deep pass on the second drive. None of those were the result of poor playcaling.

To be clear, I am not crowning Richt as some sort of genius playcaller. But his playcalling in the 2nd quarter was still good enough to put points on the board had the players executed. If three or four drops had been completed, I suspect most people would not have had a negative word to say about the playcalling.

I disagree. Walton had a long TD run, then another long run that SHOULD have lead to 7. Outside of a few runs by Walton, the O did nothing. They certainly couldn't punch it in from a few yards out.

So basically the plays that worked Richt doesn't get credit for but the plays that didn't work he gets the blame for? That's an easy way to have a bad perspective

That, and it's just playing the result. Bad execution does not equal bad playcalling.

Advertisement
The first half was a disgrace, and you know that.

Really? How did it compare to every other Florida team affected by Irma? FSU goes down to NCState? UF was one holding call away from losing to UK for the first time in 30 years? So this is on the staff alone?

The first half was a disgrace, and you know that.

Really? How did it compare to every other Florida team affected by Irma? FSU goes down to NCState? UF was one holding call away from losing to UK for the first time in 30 years? So this is on the staff alone?

Didn't realize Irma screwed up out game with Bethune as well.

Well Diaz's D let up 350 yards to BC & 469 yards & 30 points to Toledo. So idk what you're getting at. Not only that but the scheme is weird af. Needs to button it up vs Duke or we are catching an L. If our O gets in rythme were gonna be unstoppable on that side of the ball. 52 points & 600 yards WITHOUT Richards.

You don't know what I am getting at??? Did you read the positively insane comments being made all through yesterday's first half? I agree that the defense requires adjustments, but the calls to fire Diaz and attacks on Kool are absurd. Not to mention the screams that Richt should be forced to give up the offensive coordinator job.

If Richt coached the second half like he did the first, would YOU want him to continue calling plays? I sure as **** wouldn't.

Posing a hypothetical question with a negative bent. Why am I not surprised? Okay! I'll play along. Coach Richt called a good first half, but the execution was lacking (see layoff and forced evacuation of practice facility). The second half offense displayed more continuity, thus the same play caller, Coach Richt, pleased, at least temporarily, the naysayers.

Thomas, I've read a number of your posts and the common thread is negativity. You are still complaining about the BC game. In my case, having been a Canes fan since the invention of the wheel, I watch the games for enjoyment and attempt to find positives when possible. This doesn't mean I don't get irritated when the Canes don't perform at a high level, but to be bellowing that Richt, Diaz and Kool should be fired after games with BC and Toledo, both of which the Canes won, is the refuge of those who are constantly looking for things to complain about.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back