Shocked to Learn That Richt, Diaz and Kool Were Not Fired

Calling for the firing of coaches is excessive and I didn't see any of that, but the first half was a disgrace. Layoff or not. The second half was a bit better but we play how we played against Toledo and it's going to be a long and painful season.

Advertisement
During yesterday’s first half against Toledo a large number of posters fired Richt, Diaz and put Coach Kool on notice when taking his defensive linemen to task. They also demoted Rosier and promoted various quarterbacks, along with a sundry list of other players.

52 points later and a touchdown called back makes the demoting of Richt, the offensive play caller and coordinator, a bit of a head scratcher. Had Richt put up…say…70 points would that have been enough to delay his demotion (or firing)? Additionally, it seems like only yesterday morning that Coaches Diaz and Kool were Gods, but now, based on the experts reviews, they couldn’t find employment with a youth league football team. I mention this because my son’s team is looking for a defensive coordinator and defensive line coach.

Question: are you Cats going to start flying your infamous banner plane air force demanding the firing of Coaches Diaz and Kool? Another question: is it copasetic to fly the fire a coach banner in the first half and then fly a banner in the second half hiring the same coach back? Can one assume that the first half/second half banner flying will also apply to the demoting of coaches/players and promoting them in the second half should you deem it to be appropriate?

Needless to say, but I am a novice in all this minute to minute firing and demoting people. So, if there’s a “Hurricanes Fire’em-Demote’em Guide” you could send to us rookies it would be helpful as it all appears to be absolutely insane to those of us with the untrained eyes. Thanking you in advance.

excellent post.

the reason fans do this is because it gives their weak minds comfort using the illusion of control when they feel(mostly correctly) that they have none.

The first half was a disgrace, and you know that. The second half showed what we could do when we got off our collective butts. I'm not giving the staff a pass on the first half ineptitude I saw. It was pathetic. The second half just illustrated how good we can be, and how pathetic the first half was.

What do we call the fan meltdowns in between? Serious question...

In a word, justified. We need to stop being conservative because we think we can be conservative and still beat inferior opponents. We need to open things up and let our play makers make plays. By running into 8 man fronts we are not maximizing our talent. By not having our weapons get the ball in space we are not getting the most out of what we have. We need to spread the D out, because it WILL create natural lanes for Walton to run through. We need to have multiple threats on the field so teams can not key on Walton, or Homer. They are both at their best when they have room to run.

If I see one play with only two corners on the field against a spread formation... it's time to strike up the fire Coach Diaz brigade. We don't have time for all of this bs from these weird *** defensive coordinators. Been down this road before usually what a Coach shows you once, is what it's going to be...cut bait move on.

Well Diaz's D let up 350 yards to BC & 469 yards & 30 points to Toledo. So idk what you're getting at. Not only that but the scheme is weird af. Needs to button it up vs Duke or we are catching an L. If our O gets in rythme were gonna be unstoppable on that side of the ball. 52 points & 600 yards WITHOUT Richards.

You don't know what I am getting at??? Did you read the positively insane comments being made all through yesterday's first half? I agree that the defense requires adjustments, but the calls to fire Diaz and attacks on Kool are absurd. Not to mention the screams that Richt should be forced to give up the offensive coordinator job.

If Richt coached the second half like he did the first, would YOU want him to continue calling plays? I sure as **** wouldn't.

Advertisement
If I see one play with only two corners on the field against a spread formation... it's time to strike up the fire Coach Diaz brigade. We don't have time for all of this bs from these weird *** defensive coordinators. Been down this road before usually what a Coach shows you once, is what it's going to be...cut bait move on.

When even I can see a guy wide open before a play starts.... yeah, it's bad.

The first half was a disgrace, and you know that. The second half showed what we could do when we got off our collective butts. I'm not giving the staff a pass on the first half ineptitude I saw. It was pathetic. The second half just illustrated how good we can be, and how pathetic the first half was.

What do we call the fan meltdowns in between? Serious question...

In a word, justified. We need to stop being conservative because we think we can be conservative and still beat inferior opponents. We need to open things up and let our play makers make plays. By running into 8 man fronts we are not maximizing our talent. By not having our weapons get the ball in space we are not getting the most out of what we have. We need to spread the D out, because it WILL create natural lanes for Walton to run through. We need to have multiple threats on the field so teams can not key on Walton, or Homer. They are both at their best when they have room to run.

Thomas, not sure what game you watched, and I say "game" because it is a 60 minute affair, and not just a 1st quarter or 1st half deal. The running game with Walton and Homer was fine. One of them in fact had over 200 yards rushing.

The offense was a bit out of synch which was expected. We ended up scoring 52 so obviously our "playmakers" made plays.

Question for me is on the defensive side of the ball with all the off the wall alignments that brought bad memories back up I thought were long buried. That and we have (some) guys not on the same page so you wonder what they are hearing or seeing when the defensive play is called. I hope that gets fixed this week.

On the other hand, we came out gang busters in the second half which is a good sign in how coaches and players deal with adversity. How some of the fans deal with adversity, well, that's another story.

Wasn't just the first half, but the whole Bethune game. Yes, Walton had some good runs, but our O had a whopping 10 points against one of the worst defenses we will see all year. We couldn't punch it in to go up 14-0 after a good Walton run. We SHOULD have been down 23-10 at the half to Toledo. Only after Rosier started throwing to all parts of the field did the O dominate. It didn't do that against Bethune, and didn't do it for a half against an anemic Toledo D.

So, the question was about fan reactions in the first half. Were you happy with the first half performance? Coupled with a weak showing against Bethune? You see, the second half showed WHY many of us were so frustrated with what we had seen so far this season. We KNEW we could do better. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Our defense was wildly over rated by our own fan base. We did this to ourselves.

Advertisement
Well Diaz's D let up 350 yards to BC & 469 yards & 30 points to Toledo. So idk what you're getting at. Not only that but the scheme is weird af. Needs to button it up vs Duke or we are catching an L. If our O gets in rythme were gonna be unstoppable on that side of the ball. 52 points & 600 yards WITHOUT Richards.

You don't know what I am getting at??? Did you read the positively insane comments being made all through yesterday's first half? I agree that the defense requires adjustments, but the calls to fire Diaz and attacks on Kool are absurd. Not to mention the screams that Richt should be forced to give up the offensive coordinator job.

If Richt coached the second half like he did the first, would YOU want him to continue calling plays? I sure as **** wouldn't.

What offensive plays were you mad about during the first half? If several drives weren't stalled by drops and the running game wasn't slowed down with the loss of Walton, the first half would look very different offensively.

During yesterday’s first half against Toledo a large number of posters fired Richt, Diaz and put Coach Kool on notice when taking his defensive linemen to task. They also demoted Rosier and promoted various quarterbacks, along with a sundry list of other players.

52 points later and a touchdown called back makes the demoting of Richt, the offensive play caller and coordinator, a bit of a head scratcher. Had Richt put up…say…70 points would that have been enough to delay his demotion (or firing)? Additionally, it seems like only yesterday morning that Coaches Diaz and Kool were Gods, but now, based on the experts reviews, they couldn’t find employment with a youth league football team. I mention this because my son’s team is looking for a defensive coordinator and defensive line coach.

Question: are you Cats going to start flying your infamous banner plane air force demanding the firing of Coaches Diaz and Kool? Another question: is it copasetic to fly the fire a coach banner in the first half and then fly a banner in the second half hiring the same coach back? Can one assume that the first half/second half banner flying will also apply to the demoting of coaches/players and promoting them in the second half should you deem it to be appropriate?

Needless to say, but I am a novice in all this minute to minute firing and demoting people. So, if there’s a “Hurricanes Fire’em-Demote’em Guide” you could send to us rookies it would be helpful as it all appears to be absolutely insane to those of us with the untrained eyes. Thanking you in advance.

excellent post.

the reason fans do this is because it gives their weak minds comfort using the illusion of control when they feel(mostly correctly) that they have none.

****, that's too deep for this board.

Our defense was wildly over rated by our own fan base. We did this to ourselves.

I still have some hope. With the lay-off and everything, I'll give them a pass for Toledo. But they need to show up for Duke and prove they are at least an ACC championship caliber defense.

Wasn't just the first half, but the whole Bethune game. Yes, Walton had some good runs, but our O had a whopping 10 points against one of the worst defenses we will see all year. We couldn't punch it in to go up 14-0 after a good Walton run. We SHOULD have been down 23-10 at the half to Toledo. Only after Rosier started throwing to all parts of the field did the O dominate. It didn't do that against Bethune, and didn't do it for a half against an anemic Toledo D.

So, the question was about fan reactions in the first half. Were you happy with the first half performance? Coupled with a weak showing against Bethune? You see, the second half showed WHY many of us were so frustrated with what we had seen so far this season. We KNEW we could do better. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

No, I wasn't happy but I wasn't ready to jump off the ledge either. I think the thread is speaking to the extreme reactions some fans have when things are not going right and instead maybe just letting the game play out before making rash judgements. But since most of your post was reserved for the offensive side, I disagreed with the entire premise of your argument. All said and done 52 points and outscoring them 42-14 in the second half is how I want to see the team respond instead of folding like they could have done. That is the positive I will take out of it. Whatever it was they needed to fix, was fixed in the second half. And if you want to point to just the mistakes Toledo made, you are only seeing half the story. We also had our share of drops and mistakes too. That happens during the course of a game on both sides. I am moving on to Duke. Hopefully we can play a complete game and beat the snot out of them.

Advertisement

I still have some hope. With the lay-off and everything, I'll give them a pass for Toledo. But they need to show up for Duke and prove they are at least an ACC championship caliber defense.

There is no doubt in my mind that they are going to end up statistically more effective than the Golden years. But our inability to stop two teams from lower divisions is very troublesome.

A win is a win, so I am not getting all bent out of shape, especially having beaten the spread. But I am definitely less confident in winning 10 regular season games than I was.

What offensive plays were you mad about during the first half? If several drives weren't stalled by drops and the running game wasn't slowed down with the loss of Walton, the first half would look very different offensively.

It was the lack of plays. Yes, the drops hurt, but there were parts of the field that looked off limits to Rosier through 6 quarters of play. It looked like Richt didn't trust Rosier, or was holding back. The second half the entire field was being attacked, and the results were evident.

It was the lack of plays. Yes, the drops hurt, but there were parts of the field that looked off limits to Rosier through 6 quarters of play. It looked like Richt didn't trust Rosier, or was holding back. The second half the entire field was being attacked, and the results were evident.

I disagree with this as far as the first half against Toledo is concerned (no argument here regarding the ineffective playcalling against BCU). I was at the Toledo game then went back and watched it again on Sunday.

First, and just as a matter of specificity, Toledo started the game with the ball and Miami scored on each of its 1st quarter possessions. So we honestly shouldn't be talking about a poor half of offense, just a poor quarter (the 2nd).

And even in the second quarter, the offensive playcalling was not the problem and not as conservative as some people on this board are making it out. There were several passing plays called on first and second down. And there were shots taken downfield. The problem is, several of those shots didn't work out because of execution.

Did the offense sputter in the 2nd quarter quarter (especially when the undisputed leader of our offense went down)? Yes, it did. But to my eye that was more a lack of execution (drops, especially) than poor playcalling. If a few of the dropped passes in the first half are completed, there might have been another 10-17 points on the board going into halftime. For instance, I thought Dionte Mullins should have caught the drop down the sideline at the start of the second quarter (that catch would have, at least, put us into field goal range). It has been discussed ad nauseum how Harley dropped the ball that hit him in the hands in the second quarter (that's at least a 15 yard first down and a TD if he can make one man miss). And ****, even going back to the 1st quarter, Malik overthrew Berrios for a deep pass on the second drive. None of those were the result of poor playcaling.

To be clear, I am not crowning Richt as some sort of genius playcaller. But his playcalling in the 2nd quarter was still good enough to put points on the board had the players executed. If three or four drops had been completed, I suspect most people would not have had a negative word to say about the playcalling.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not questioning your team when they play like asss does not make you any more of a fan.

While we were getting our s.hit pushed in every week under Golden we would see a lot of ghey threads like this one.

Go back to sleep

Beautiful stuff. Where the **** was this bumpkin since Saturday?

We have already had our share of chest thumping "told you so"..."never in fear of losing"....hindsight is 20/20 bull**** in the last 48 hours. Get in the back of the ******* line.

UM

I disagree with this as far as the first half against Toledo is concerned (no argument here regarding the ineffective playcalling against BCU). I was at the Toledo game then went back and watched it again on Sunday.

First, and just as a matter of specificity, Toledo started the game with the ball and Miami scored on each of its 1st quarter possessions. So we honestly shouldn't be talking about a poor half of offense, just a poor quarter (the 2nd).

And even in the second quarter, the offensive playcalling was not the problem and not as conservative as some people on this board are making it out. There were several passing plays called on first and second down. And there were shots taken downfield. The problem is, several of those shots didn't work out because of execution.

Did the offense sputter in the 2nd quarter quarter (especially when the undisputed leader of our offense went down)? Yes, it did. But to my eye that was more a lack of execution (drops, especially) than poor playcalling. If a few of the dropped passes in the first half are completed, there might have been another 10-17 points on the board going into halftime. For instance, I thought Dionte Mullins should have caught the drop down the sideline at the start of the second quarter (that catch would have, at least, put us into field goal range). It has been discussed ad nauseum how Harley dropped the ball that hit him in the hands in the second quarter (that's at least a 15 yard first down and a TD if he can make one man miss). And ****, even going back to the 1st quarter, Malik overthrew Berrios for a deep pass on the second drive. None of those were the result of poor playcaling.

To be clear, I am not crowning Richt as some sort of genius playcaller. But his playcalling in the 2nd quarter was still good enough to put points on the board had the players executed. If three or four drops had been completed, I suspect most people would not have had a negative word to say about the playcalling.

I disagree. Walton had a long TD run, then another long run that SHOULD have lead to 7. Outside of a few runs by Walton, the O did nothing. They certainly couldn't punch it in from a few yards out.

I disagree. Walton had a long TD run, then another long run that SHOULD have lead to 7. Outside of a few runs by Walton, the O did nothing. They certainly couldn't punch it in from a few yards out.

So basically the plays that worked Richt doesn't get credit for but the plays that didn't work he gets the blame for? That's an easy way to have a bad perspective

Exactly. It's no longer considered "conservative" play calling after you've ran the ball 6 times for 144 yards. If CMR had "hit the gas" and started slinging it all over the field I would be condemning him for getting away from what was working so well. The fact is we did take our shots. We just didn't execute as well in the 2nd quarter as we did the rest of the game. But other than those few series that were highlighted by Walton getting his ankle taped and receivers dropping passes, our offense was on point yesterday, and a strong case could be made that had a few more of those balls been caught for first downs, the defense may not have gotten worked over they way they did in the 2nd quarter.

Advertisement
Back