Sheldrick Redwine - let's talk

Redwine was:

-- Tied for 4th on the team in total tackles with Joe Jack (59)
-- 3rd in solo tackles behind Quan & Shaq (37)
-- Intercepted 2 passes (Tied with Malek for 3rd....Quan and Mike Jack had 4 each)
-- Was 3rd on the team in PBUs (6...and RJ was 2nd, so batted balls at the line included, obviously. More PBUs than MJ)
-- Forced 2 fumbles
-- Recovered a fumble
-- Played a ton for one of the best tackling teams I can remember in several years at Miami

All while playing 12 games....most of the other kids played 13.

Not bad production from a Junior. You'd surely expect an uptick in production as a Senior now.

Advertisement
images (1).jpeg.

He was very good at time last year. I think he’s primed for a big year. Experience means a lot for safeties, especially since we ask them to do so much.

I expect Redwine to have a big year for us. He is a major player on the defense. I expect him to get some get back at SCam Akers!!! Go Canes!!!

I think his confidence is really what will make the difference. He has the physical tools.

Advertisement
The weak link of our defense? Dude is a solid safety and we still don’t have an every down #2 proven corner. Once he went out against FSU, we saw the results when #20 came in. I think he will make 2nd team ACC, because they aren’t going to test Jackson and Johnson too much.
I know he gets a lot of talk as the weak link in the secondary.

Redwine, Joe Jackson and Gerald Willis hold the keys to our defensive jump this year. While Shaq, Pinckney, Jaquan and Mike Jackson are top players who'll get a bunch of attention and accolades, the first three can make moves at spots to seriously upgrade us or unexpectedly match what we saw last year:

FS
Redwine 2017 - first time Safeties "see" and "feel" the game differently the second time around (when route combinations come at them at a different speed)
vs
Redwine 2018 - quicker, faster, stronger and an entire year of watching stuff happen in front of you can change...everything.

SSDE
Chad Thomas was a rock and knifed in on a bunch of important plays. But, if Joe Jackson is really 270 and plays up to his potential, he's going to do seriously damaging work against RTs OR he's going to open the flood gates for Willis and Garvin.

3T
RJ Mcintosh 2017 - had great splash plays and dominated a game or two in spurts. 12.5 TFLs are always difficult to replace, so naturally one would think of a dropoff...
vs
Gerald Willis 2018 - Except what if you have a wildly hungry, non-traditional 5th year senior who cut body fat and gained 10-15 pounds? Already with a knack for upfield pressure and TFLs in spurts, if Willis can replace what Mcintosh provided in a place most would have expected a dropoff, it pays dividends for himself ($), obviously, but also all the guys around him who should naturally progress.

Add it all up with those three positions. Only thing left is for Diaz to come up with the right balance on 3rd down calls and we hit a new gear on defense.

Advertisement
Redwine, Joe Jackson and Gerald Willis hold the keys to our defensive jump this year. While Shaq, Pinckney, Jaquan and Mike Jackson are top players who'll get a bunch of attention and accolades, the first three can make moves at spots to seriously upgrade us or unexpectedly match what we saw last year:

FS
Redwine 2017 - first time Safeties "see" and "feel" the game differently the second time around (when route combinations come at them at a different speed)
vs
Redwine 2018 - quicker, faster, stronger and an entire year of watching stuff happen in front of you can change...everything.

SSDE
Chad Thomas was a rock and knifed in on a bunch of important plays. But, if Joe Jackson is really 270 and plays up to his potential, he's going to do seriously damaging work against RTs OR he's going to open the flood gates for Willis and Garvin.

3T
RJ Mcintosh 2017 - had great splash plays and dominated a game or two in spurts. 12.5 TFLs are always difficult to replace, so naturally one would think of a dropoff...
vs
Gerald Willis 2018 - Except what if you have a wildly hungry, non-traditional 5th year senior who cut body fat and gained 10-15 pounds? Already with a knack for upfield pressure and TFLs in spurts, if Willis can replace what Mcintosh provided in a place most would have expected a dropoff, it pays dividends for himself ($), obviously, but also all the guys around him who should naturally progress.

Add it all up with those three positions. Only thing left is for Diaz to come up with the right balance on 3rd down calls and we hit a new gear on defense.
Great post

Solid player.. and I wouldn't have tried mangos and vinegar together without him.

I know he gets a lot of talk as the weak link in the secondary.
My APOLOGIES, but we STILL don’t have a proven #2 corner, so I wouldn’t say the weak link. I think he’s very underrated in our secondary, but definitely not our weakest link.

Advertisement
I was surprised to hear about his 40 time because we all thought he was a step slow to be a really good cornerback

Such as Hurlie Brown. Terris Harris, and Malcolm Pearson and the like in the past, I think he's solid if not spectacular.

Last edited:
I was surprised to hear about his 40 time because we all thought he was a step slow to be a really good cornerback

Like guys like Hurlie Brown. Terris Harris, and Malcolm Pearson and the like in the past, I think he's solid if not spectacular.
I’m not seeing a 4.38 based on the int run in the va tech game he had, I dont Think he has that type of long speed honestly. But a 4.50-4.55 wouldn’t surprise me

Last edited:
I know he gets a lot of talk as the weak link in the secondary. We may be in for a big season if Redwine has taken the next steps.

Is he ready to make a impact?

Being the weak link on this starting secondary is being the strong link on most teams secondary.

Our starting secondary is filthy

Advertisement
I’m not seeing a 4.38 based on the int run in the va tech game he had, I dont Think he has that type of long speed honestly. But a 4.50-4.55 wouldn’t surprise me

Yeah, that 4.38 time looks like one of those VaTech deals...

I hope you're right. But why'd you disagree with my post? Jenkins had a great senior year. And he was another kid who went unheralded until the end of the season when the fan base suddenly realized he was a **** of a player.

If I did mate it was in pure error. I too agree that Jenkins had a great Senior season. Must have accidentally hit the wrong button. My bad mate.

Advertisement
Back