Shaq

VERY impressive play here by Shaq. He identified this play so quickly. Instincts are elite. Jackson made a great play by staying home...but watch Shaq identify, and get to the ball. Wow.

[video=youtube;lPXTvp7Zpg0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPXTvp7Zpg0[/video]

Advertisement
I loved Huard's comment after that play. "If I'm Syracuse I'm going to go ahead and take that out of the playbook."

I posted the same thing on TOS after watching a condensed rerun of the game. Shaq was getting gashed by the guard who went straight for him as our tackles went upfield. If the RB can hit the gap vacated by the charging D lineman quick enough its a long gain .Shaq had several proper fits but he was blown out by their o lineman.

I re-watched the game and I saw him choosing the wrong hole and miss in open space, but I saw all the LB'ers miss what should have been sure tackles. I wish we wouldn't loop Joe Jack on the inside stunt. He's a speed rusher, let him go get it from his DE position.

Can't just speed rush. We need Joe Jack to be unpredictable, inside, outside, etc. or else he'd be less effective.

Our defense is dependent on forcing negative or no gain. Then when they are off schedule we can go after the QB. We gave up a little too many rushing yards for my taste. It's boggling to me to see how we shut down their passing and gave up those runs.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
No defense is perfect and with our aggressive defense there will be run plays and draws to be had.. the only criticism I could ever find with coach kool when he was bought in was that the meet at the qb n tackle rb philosophy sometimes allowed big running games to happen (auburn gashing mizzou in sec CHAMP game for like 400+ comes to mind)..

I think we do a pretty good job of stopping run last year. This year seems a little bit different.. ND is gonna be a big test as they run their qb a ton.. actually next 3 weeks will be as all of UNC, vt, and nd put their qb in play..

All will see the success that Syracuse had on ground n try to exploit

our defense held one of the most powerful offenses in the country to one touchdown. Our red zone offense does it's job and we are only talking about holding them to a field goal four out of five times. This game should not have been this close. The GT game either if we don't spot them a TD. The only thing that grates me is how do you succeed on third and freaking twenty five?

I thought Shaq played a really good game. Remember, these guys are just halfway through their sophomore season. I agree that our DL leaves our LB’s exposed by crashing upfield too fast on many occasions. Can’t win if we continue to do this against better teams IMO.DL has to play more disciplined football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I re-watched the game and I saw him choosing the wrong hole and miss in open space, but I saw all the LB'ers miss what should have been sure tackles. I wish we wouldn't loop Joe Jack on the inside stunt. He's a speed rusher, let him go get it from his DE position.

Can't just speed rush. We need Joe Jack to be unpredictable, inside, outside, etc. or else he'd be less effective.
You should dial up Kool and tell him.

We've been incredibly spoiled with these LBs.

I forget they are half way through their sophomore seasons.

Shaq had a rough outing. Sure, he made some plays, but he wasn't consistent.

Specifically, on the Cuse scoring drive. First, Dungy faked a handoff and kept it, fooled Shaq bad and picked up about 30. A few plays later that went for a TD, Dungy handed off but both Shaq and Jackson got caught looking thinking Dungy was keeping again.

He also tends to shoot the wrong gap way too often, and hasn't been the surest tackler.

As to shooting the gap, it appears that some of it may be scheme, what we are doing with our DL. The way our tackles stunt and DEs crash or get upfield is great for pass rush purposes, but when it is a quick hitting run the DL can get caught out of place and leave OLmen free to get to the 2nd level and engage the LBs. I saw this happen a few times over the last few weeks, where Shaq can't shed the block because the lineman had a clean shot at him.

Maybe that leads to guessing too much and shooting the wrong gap? All I know is all our LBs get sucked inside too easily, and leave huge cutback lanes.

Maybe someone like [MENTION=3951]Coach[/MENTION]macho or [MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION] can chime in and tell me if the DL aggression is causing the poor LB play.

I dont agree... I think what we are seeing is the Dline is having issues on running plays and not only are they trying to get upfield as fast as crazy they are letting OLs get into the LBs untouched and Shaq is burried by a 300 lber. He is having to guess which side to go but it would likely matter because the hole is so big and the OL ar so deep they can choose which lane to run thru. The agressive Dline is a double edged sword.

Isn't that exactly what I said?

It sounds like your talking about gaps were he would meet the RB at the line. Shaq isnt flying thru gaps as often as he is trying to read and react. So when the OL gets past the Dline and into the LBs then he has to choose what side of the OL to go on because he isnt likley going to be able to shed a block of an OL who is coming downhill and grab a RB who is moving to quickly at that time. The DL has to stop those guys from getting to the LB unabated. I keep seeing spins to the outside by the DL on moves when the OL is purposely trying to go inside.

Im chalking this up to a small soph slump for the trio with more of thinking too much as an issue...

Just that extra second of hesitation will get anyone on this level and of course the next.. trust your instincts and preparation and hit it

Advertisement

Specifically, on the Cuse scoring drive. First, Dungy faked a handoff and kept it, fooled Shaq bad and picked up about 30. A few plays later that went for a TD, Dungy handed off but both Shaq and Jackson got caught looking thinking Dungy was keeping again.

He also tends to shoot the wrong gap way too often, and hasn't been the surest tackler.

As to shooting the gap, it appears that some of it may be scheme, what we are doing with our DL. The way our tackles stunt and DEs crash or get upfield is great for pass rush purposes, but when it is a quick hitting run the DL can get caught out of place and leave OLmen free to get to the 2nd level and engage the LBs. I saw this happen a few times over the last few weeks, where Shaq can't shed the block because the lineman had a clean shot at him.

Maybe that leads to guessing too much and shooting the wrong gap? All I know is all our LBs get sucked inside too easily, and leave huge cutback lanes.

Maybe someone like [MENTION=3951]Coach[/MENTION]macho or [MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION] can chime in and tell me if the DL aggression is causing the poor LB play.

I dont agree... I think what we are seeing is the Dline is having issues on running plays and not only are they trying to get upfield as fast as crazy they are letting OLs get into the LBs untouched and Shaq is burried by a 300 lber. He is having to guess which side to go but it would likely matter because the hole is so big and the OL ar so deep they can choose which lane to run thru. The agressive Dline is a double edged sword.

Often times, the DTs are doing their job and spilling the play to our DE, MLB, OLB, and CB. Just depends on the play. The 3 & 2 was set up perfectly for Shaq. His eyes, and his inside out pursuit, were just horrendous. The QB took a snap 5 yards deep, ran right down his lane, and passed him by 5 yards (9-11 yards total) before Shaq had even turned around from the bad angle. The QB didn’t even ride the RB on this play, so there was nothing else to pursue.

I frankly think we need a LB coach. Aside from 56, we’re simply not playing well fundamentally at LB. And 56 has something you can’t coach, instincts.

IMO, Diaz isn’t polished enough to mentor two young secondary coaches (obvious communication & assignment issues there), and coach/develop LBs, while coordinating the entire defense. Not on an elite level. And it shows with our run defense. Bad reads. Wrong holes. Missed tackles. Lost in coverage. Reacting slow. Our talent is much better than all of the above.

Fundamentally - we just aren’t very sound at LB.

All of our 3 young LBs are having problems. I think in a way it's the "Meet Me at the QB" DL philosophy. Our DL's don't make many running back tackles however we don't have these LB issues when Smith, Owens and Perry are in the game. I am by no means a football scheme dude, however this is what I would do with our 3 young LBs-- One is responsible for the QB, one for the RB, and depending on offensive formation, the other either looks for the ball or is replaced by a DB in the spread formation, and they all go to the ball when their guy doesn't have it. . In the GA Tech game, we had our outside young LB's playing behind our DE's when they should have been on the line 2-3 yards from our DE's in order to have a better angle on GA Tech's running game. Simplify the game for our young LB's. They are having to think way too much on the field. Read your guy and react to him.

Papa Shaq is GOAT. Some parents would take criticism, even if minute, personally. He knows that his son is only a Sophomore and will only get better.... and criticism doesn't hurt if warranted.

yup...would be nice if people followed his lead and didn't take minor critiques of our team as a personal offense.

Advertisement
Papa Shaq is GOAT. Some parents would take criticism, even if minute, personally. He knows that his son is only a Sophomore and will only get better.... and criticism doesn't hurt if warranted.

yup...would be nice if people followed his lead and didn't take minor critiques of our team as a personal offense.
giphy.gif

I think the disappearance of McCloud is a much bigger problem than Shaq missing a play or two.

This dude has his head of his ***. Can't tackle, isn't making plays. It's like we are playing with two LB's now. Pickney's instincts are still there, Shaq is gonna Shaq, but the third amigo is not keeping his part of the deal man.

WAKE UP PLEASE Mr. MCCLOUD

most of the time his hole choice was pre-defined even the delay for him to attack it was scheme. I'm old school every body has a gap don't let the ball pass Nowadays DEF Playbook looks like an OFF Play Book

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Shaq may be having a ' sophomore ' slump and what not. dUh. Nevertheless, I believe he'll bring his A-GAME against both Va. Tech and mighty Notre Dame!

Advertisement
Back