Shaq

No offense to anyone here but I'm glad that Diaz is at the helm the team is 6-0 our three young LBs though having some minor struggles could more than likely be in the league after next season whom did a better job than the LBs at Clemson vS Cuse but like all things could be better or it could be worse

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement
I’m a fan of Shaq.

Gotta remember he’s still a true sophomore.

I know it’s a different team overall, but Jon Vilma didn’t make many plays his sophomore year before the Rose Bowl (not saying he was a scrub....just saying it took a while for him to be a star at the position - no ****).

Same thing for 55

He’s a good Lb at this point. He’ll end up very good to elite when his time at the U is over.

Everybody isn’t Ray Lewis

I think the disappearance of McCloud is a much bigger problem than Shaq missing a play or two.

This dude has his head of his ***. Can't tackle, isn't making plays. It's like we are playing with two LB's now. Pickney's instincts are still there, Shaq is gonna Shaq, but the third amigo is not keeping his part of the deal man.

WAKE UP PLEASE Mr. MCCLOUD

This right here. This thread has the wrong topic. Zack McCloud is lost out there. Slow, slow reads therefore slow to react. He has missed more tackles than his has which is 14 total tackles. He is a starting linebacker!

I think the disappearance of McCloud is a much bigger problem than Shaq missing a play or two.

This dude has his head of his ***. Can't tackle, isn't making plays. It's like we are playing with two LB's now. Pickney's instincts are still there, Shaq is gonna Shaq, but the third amigo is not keeping his part of the deal man.

This right here. This thread has the wrong topic. Zack McCloud is lost out there. Slow, slow reads therefore slow to react. He has missed more tackles than his has which is 14 total tackles. He is a starting linebacker!

He has been a little better the last 2 games

I know you said a little but how so? He is a huge liability right now

Advertisement
VERY impressive play here by Shaq. He identified this play so quickly. Instincts are elite. Jackson made a great play by staying home...but watch Shaq identify, and get to the ball. Wow.

[video=youtube;lPXTvp7Zpg0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPXTvp7Zpg0[/video]

him and Jackson saw the lineman pull and werent to aggressive until they knew what was happening, perfect. Without them thats a huge play.

No offense to anyone here but I'm glad that Diaz is at the helm the team is 6-0 our three young LBs though having some minor struggles could more than likely be in the league after next season whom did a better job than the LBs at Clemson vS Cuse but like all things could be better or it could be worse

[MENTION=10044]UknowWhat[/MENTION]

when ur son gets drafted big pops are u staying here at CIS or u leaving us fam?

Not OP in particular. Ppl play too much madden. There is a hole in every coverage/defense ... unlike madden there are no.money plays that work every time... IRL if a team finds that weak spot u say **** they got us and move on... thats why defense works well when disguised

[MENTION=10044]UknowWhat[/MENTION]

when ur son gets drafted big pops are u staying here at CIS or u leaving us fam?

**** be around i bet. Lingering the man is a cane fan

Advertisement
VERY impressive play here by Shaq. He identified this play so quickly. Instincts are elite. Jackson made a great play by staying home...but watch Shaq identify, and get to the ball. Wow.

[video=youtube;lPXTvp7Zpg0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPXTvp7Zpg0[/video]

I wonder if Syracuse ran this play before. If not, I'd love to know what tipped Shaq off to the fact that it was a throwback? That was elite recognition.

The QB and OL actually sold it pretty well. Maybe the initial pass to the WR was so far behind the LOS that he recognized that and took off the other way.

What has Shaq told you about the strength program? I'm always interested to hear how guys are developing in the weight room (and not conditioning stuff, but power numbers).

Does Shaq feel a lot stronger now than 2 years ago?

He was a little better against GT.

He was terrible against Syracuse. He had only 1 tackle the whole game. Against a team that ran 93 offensive plays. McCloud wasn't in on every play but he played a lot.

jBN08gj.jpg

I would love to see Ray Lewis work with our 3 young LB's for a week and then watch them play. I guarantee you that we would see a positive difference. Diaz is a pretty decent but not a great DC however I don't think LB's are either his forte or just may be the dude doesn't have the time it's required to coach the position. Love to see us have an LB coach. Have we ever had one just dedicated to LB's? Wonder who Ray Lewis' LB coach was??

Advertisement

I know you said a little but how so? He is a huge liability right now

What do you mean how so? His last 2 games have been noticeably better than the first 4

He was terrible against Syracuse. He had only 1 tackle the whole game. Against a team that ran 93 offensive plays. McCloud wasn't in on every play but he played a lot.

View attachment 52562

We played a lot more nickel defense so he didn’t play as much as he usually does

View attachment 52562

We played a lot more nickel defense so he didn’t play as much as he usually does

He played enough snaps to inform us that one single tackle doesn't justify your earlier claim that he "played better".

Advertisement
looks like shaq may have been shadowing the qb on the play as his 1st read is staying with the qb.

The stunts definitely made the LBs job harder, but I think they were worth it, because we were completely disrupting Syracuses offense. And sometimes when you're playing so aggressive big runs will happen.

There has been discussion that Manny likes to take away what they are good at, and I am all for that. We shut down Dungy and came away with the win, so all is well. But I saw some of the same cutback lanes against GT.

I know many are worried about our run fits at times. We need to get more consistent with our tackling, because how "loose" we become or over-pursue seems to be a symptom of Diaz's desire to err on the side of aggression and get offenses behind schedule. It's as much a byproduct of his philosophy as our ability to create TFLs.

https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/recruiting/124374

Maybe it's optimism, but I think almost all our defensive issues are fixable with players we already have or a small infusion of Safety talent. And, if so, we're not far from more consistent dominance instead of splash plays. That said, part of being so aggressive with the front 7 is inevitably going to lead to some gashes.

I suppose the question is why big runs are given up because of (over) aggression. Is it blown assignments, or that someone simply got beat? Good offense beats good defense type thing.

2 plays in particular jump out to dissect. 1:37:01 and 54:51 at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgcZ1NUGhTg&ab_channel=CFBLights2

I can't figure out how to embed, but I'm sure [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] will breakdown both of them when he does his review.

Next play we switch to nickel against their three-wide and play Bandy. They spread us out and run the draw. The G gets out to Quarterman, who has a tough job here. He has to understand that Redwine has the outside gap (B gap) and he is responsible for the A gap. He allows the OL to turn him towards Redwine, which opens up that middle gap far too easily. You can see the RB is behind the OL who is handling Norton here. We tried to twist our DT’s and stunt the edges and they hit us right up-the-middle, leaving Quarterman exposed to a blocker right on him. You might see McCloud and think he’s responsible for this gap, but he’s responsible for the cutback to that huge lane you see by the number 20. Gain of 24.

11.jpg

Net play we run the X stunt again and they gashed it by running a quick hitter right into the gap created when we stunt. That’s two big running plays that have occurred because we stunted and they run right behind it. I’d prefer we reserve the stunt for third and long situations where the run doesn’t hurt us as much. This run goes for 23.

12.jpg

54.jpg

This is a big run that gashed us for 27 yards. We have it defended. Shaq needs to hit this OL with some thump to shock him back and plug that hole. Jaquan brings him down on the back-end, which is another of those “saving” tackles you hear about. Hopefully we need fewer of them in the future.
55.jpg

Instead, he tries to sidestep the blocker and actually took himself to this place. In a way he’s helping to block Redwine as well since he’s shielding him from the runner. [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=7]#7 5[/URL] pulled around and kicked out the weakside LB. The LB has to beat that puller into this hole and plug that hole as well, but our LB’s were just bad on this play. Look at Dungey, he knows this is a big play as he’s already got his hand up and the RB hasn’t even gotten past McIntosh who is obscuring the view of the RB here. Our run defense has some holes due to inconsistent or poor run fits.
View attachment 52662

These are the plays I mentioned, taken from [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] thread. And as I suspected, at least 2 of them were due to the stunting. I believe that to be a huge contributor to the big runs our D is giving up.

[MENTION=10044]UknowWhat[/MENTION] I mentioned elsewhere in the thread that I thought OL were getting too clear a shot at Shaq. These screenshots and breakdowns show you what I was talking about.

Last edited:
I would love to see Ray Lewis work with our 3 young LB's for a week and then watch them play. I guarantee you that we would see a positive difference. Diaz is a pretty decent but not a great DC however I don't think LB's are either his forte or just may be the dude doesn't have the time it's required to coach the position. Love to see us have an LB coach. Have we ever had one just dedicated to LB's? Wonder who Ray Lewis' LB coach was??

Their snitch game would be 100% more effective.

Advertisement
Back