Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Reading the last 50 pages trying to decide how I'm supposed to feel about this.

Confused The Lord Of The Rings GIF
Skip 99% of it and you’ll be OK.

Advertisement
But you have no idea if he can. You’re just hoping he can.

It’s odd for anybody to want that when the staff’s problem and reason for the massive layoffs is recruiting.

We should be trying to fix what actually needs fixing.

No, you're not "hoping," you're a CEO who is "determining" by exhaustively interviewing him, discussing his recruiting style, asking for some back and forth, reaching out to his former college head coaches and colleagues (since, you know, he has coached longer in college than in the NFL) and making a proper evaluation of his skills.

I expect guys to sell this guy, I never heard of anyone pulling up a "shannon dawson" offense.. Hopefully he proves it on field in fall because he is not a guy who rings bells is all I am saying.. UH fans are happy he is gone.. We have been thru this before and have been warned before, we have warned fans of other teams about what they gonna get.. I understand the politics of it also and know many want Mario to succeed. I got fam on team RIGHT now, but this guy have to prove himself here away from Dana, I wish we got a more proven guy.. Thats not wrong to say unless this place is just circle jerk or thread ban

Atleast "air raid" is a good brand and we can sell that until the games are played
UH fans? All 3 of them.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You think Hartline gets all the WRs because he coached in the NFL? Just stop. He gets them because he has a silver tongue and knows how to talk to recruits. Which is a skill that can’t be taught. We had an ex-NFL guy on staff that literally went to therapy to try to learn how to do it.

What the ****? Did Hartline stick that silver tongue up your brown starfish a few times?

There are a number of things that help a coach to recruit. The school, the facilities, the coaching staff, the wins, not to mention his own track record of development.

If we bring Coley aboard AT ANY POSITION, we will have a silver tongue who hasn't really succeeded as, you known, an ACTUAL coach. And if we bring Hankerson (or another candidate) aboard as WR Coach, we will have a legitimate technician and developer of talent at WR. But, yeah, it's just impossible to have BOTH, right?

It is pretty funny that you think that a guy with significant anxiety issues is such a silver-tongued charmer, and has no other attributes that might contribute to his successful recruiting...but, sure, you were pretty bold and insulting when it came time to throw Mike Rumph under the bus for his personality issues, weren't you?

Advertisement
“I think coaches sometimes, especially recruiting quarterbacks, they overanalyze things,” Dawson said. “They want everything to be in this pretty little package, where it’s a no-brainer, and that’s just not the case. You got to see something in the kid that kind of triggers you, and to me, it’s all about accuracy. You look at all these quarterbacks that are five-star kids, and they don’t all work out. Typically, the reason they don’t work out is because they’re not accurate. Like you can have a strong arm, and you can be athletic. You can have all these things, but if you can’t throw the football accurately from point A to point B, you’re going to struggle as a quarterback. The fact of the matter is, if you can’t throw the football accurately, you can get all these quarterback gurus you want to help you, it just ain’t happening, brother."

“Your throwing motion has been ingrained into your body since you’ve been throwing rocks as a little kid, and you’re not changing that. You can change it in a drill, but once live action happens, you’re reverting back to what’s natural, and good luck. Stetson was extremely accurate. Mac was unbelievably accurate. They had great releases. I didn’t really care what the package look like around them. I just knew, this kid can throw the football accurately with a great release, and we can build around them. That’s the way I’ve always viewed recruiting the quarterback.”

I cant help but feel that Jake Garcia would have been the biggest benefactor of this OC hire.

Advertisement
No, you're not "hoping," you're a CEO who is "determining" by exhaustively interviewing him, discussing his recruiting style, asking for some back and forth, reaching out to his former college head coaches and colleagues (since, you know, he has coached longer in college than in the NFL) and making a proper evaluation of his skills.
Are you the CEO who didn't do enough investigating to know that Gattis was terrible on and off the field? The same one whose first staff turned out to not like recruiting as much as he thought? Hankerson has recruited to Umass and Stephen F Austin. He would be getting dropped in amongst the biggest sharks in the recruiting world. And from what I remember he was a pretty reserved guy on the field as well. Not sure what he's like as coach.

Too many whiffs by Mario already. Go get a known killer. And if he's got such a hardon for getting a former Cane on the staff as someone suggested, tell Addae to find work elsewhere and promote DVD.

Are you the CEO who didn't do enough investigating to know that Gattis was terrible on and off the field? The same one whose first staff turned out to not like recruiting as much as he thought? Hankerson has recruited to Umass and Stephen F Austin. He would be getting dropped in amongst the biggest sharks in the recruiting world. And from what I remember he was a pretty reserved guy on the field as well. Not sure what he's like as coach.

Too many whiffs by Mario already. Go get a known killer. And if he's got such a hardon for getting a former Cane on the staff as someone suggested, tell Addae to find work elsewhere and promote DVD.

You're moving the goalposts. Yes, Mario, like every human, and every coach had made mistakes. That has nothing to do with "hoping" that Hank is a good recruiter. You can educate yourself with research, role-playing, interviews, and references, especially since he or someone close to him probably knows someone who coached with him.

It's wild that some of you don't realize what a young, black, successful NFL coach from a winning playoff team run by an offensive genius would do to recruiting. The man already has his bonafides. Kids are going to want to play for him, regardless of how silver-tongued he is or isn't. You can talk all you want but in the end you also need to be the goods.

He's overqualified for the position the same way Brian Johnson was for OC. It seems that we may have an in because his wife and kid are down here and secondarily, his love for the U. There is nepotism, and then there is leveraging a relationship or circumstance to benefit a program. Very, very different.

At least you admit you're "not sure what he's like as a coach." :)

Advertisement
Back