Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Advertisement
What I find odd is that we're still doing this thing where we make assumptions that things are just gonna work out. What about the last 20 years tells you that hiring a guy whose never had to recruit at the level Hankerson is gonna have to is gonna work out for us? Hankerson has been an NFL position coach for one season. There is no track record for him which is why leaving the 49ers to coach under a guy who had to remake his staff after a year would be a huge risk for him. Forget about his potential performance at Miami.

Some real Miami exceptionalism going on with very little reason to believe in it. Just hire Leonard Hankerson. A guy who hasn't been relevant football-wise in the area since 2010. He'll get big-time WRs. It'll work out. Sure.

How many black coaches with local ties have been hired by this program with the same kind of talk of what they're gonna be able to do recruiting only to never live up the hype of their hiring? People on this board talk about players from the area going to go play in some backwards *** place in the south or a different racist place all the time. The young black coaches at Miami have not slowed down the exodus at those premium positions. Those places have young black coaches too or just have a long track record of production and NFL draft picks. And of course, bags. Sometimes all three.

A simple "he's never developed anyone" is a good start for any recruiter going up against him. You really want to trust him and Cristobal? Or sign with us and you're next on this wall where all the WRs we get drafted have their names.

Hard to dispute any of that. Which is why I said us scoring points is the most important thing here IMO. I think Hankerson could be a great compliment to that if we are putting up 33+ every Saturday and heavily involving the WR’s but without a fun, productive offense…I’m not sure any WR Coach would be able to come in here and do a 180 there. WR’s and offense in general under MC has a stinky reputation and it will stay that way until stuff changes on Saturday.

Today was a step towards that. As many have said/thought, myself included, pleasantly shocked that we went away from bro style. Not crazy about the hire but obviously hoping the style of play pays dividends and Dawson proves me wrong. Even the slightest improvement helps the narrative and gives us something to sell. At that point it’s on Mario to do what he does best.

They won't listen man, too busy believing the scorned twitters, and starting fights among themselves. Thanks for your input, keep it coming. Really excited to see what this looks like, especially with a strong OL.
Stop man!

I am listening.

I am behind in catching up on the thread and some of my post are made before I seen some of his.

However, even taking SPC at his word for everything, all I said was that I (me, myself, Yo) is being cautiously optimistic.

Been burned too many times by guys we thought were it only to have it blown up.

I am not ****ting on the hire. I am just choosing to wait and see the result for myself and hoping it’s a home run hire.

How soon we forget the optimism many had, you included, with Ponce and Gatass.

Based off that, I will wait and see.

Advertisement
Measuring Hands?? What a size queen!!! Although, interestingly enough that little tidbit may have won over some of his detractors on this board….
I remember hearing that the reason a shrimp like Doug Flutie could be such a successful QB is that he has massive ape hands.

No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN

Nobody can really rate the hire until they actually play games but there’s a few reasons to be optimistic. Mainly, it’s a simple system that our guys will pick up quickly. It’s quarterback friendly and TVD has shown he can play at a high level in this type of system.

The hire reminds me of the Lashlee hire. A guy who had kind of hitched his wagon to a guru and had some mixed results early. I questioned if he could handle the offense with no Gus Malzahn or Sonny Dykes to hold his hand but he did well considering the team he walked into.

Not going to do backflips but I feel pretty positive about the hire so far.

Advertisement
What I find odd is that we're still doing this thing where we make assumptions that things are just gonna work out. What about the last 20 years tells you that hiring a guy whose never had to recruit at the level Hankerson is gonna have to is gonna work out for us? Hankerson has been an NFL position coach for one season. There is no track record for him which is why leaving the 49ers to coach under a guy who had to remake his staff after a year would be a huge risk for him. Forget about his potential performance at Miami.

Some real Miami exceptionalism going on with very little reason to believe in it. Just hire Leonard Hankerson. A guy who hasn't been relevant football-wise in the area since 2010. He'll get big-time WRs. It'll work out. Sure.

How many black coaches with local ties have been hired by this program with the same kind of talk of what they're gonna be able to do recruiting only to never live up the hype of their hiring? People on this board talk about players from the area going to go play in some backwards *** place in the south or a different racist place all the time. The young black coaches at Miami have not slowed down the exodus at those premium positions. Those places have young black coaches too or just have a long track record of production and NFL draft picks. And of course, bags. Sometimes all three.

A simple "he's never developed anyone" is a good start for any recruiter going up against him. You really want to trust him and Cristobal? Or sign with us and you're next on this wall where all the WRs we get drafted have their names.
Brian Hartline first year as WR coach at Ohio State was 2018. 2017 he was a Quality Control assistant, and had no previous coaching history and last played in the NFL in 2015. He proceeded to sign Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, and Jameson Williams within his first year... and since then he's gotten Marvin Harrison jr, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Carnell Tate, Julian Fleming, Brandon Innis, and now Jeremiah Smith...

Compared to Brian Harltine at the time having literally developed nobody before signing a bunch of studs, Hankerson has coached Deebo Samuel, and Brandon Aiyuk to his best season of his career. At UMass he coached Andy Isabella to become a 2nd round pick and finished as a Biletnikoff finalsit and PFFs top rated CFB WR....

Ultimately if the offense itself is good And the coach can develop the players to be high draft picks, the recruiting will improve significantly regardless how good of a recruiter Hankerson is or isn't.

Brian Hartline first year as WR coach at Ohio State was 2018. 2017 he was a Quality Control assistant, and had no previous coaching history and last played in the NFL in 2015. He proceeded to sign Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, and Jameson Williams within his first year... and since then he's gotten Marvin Harrison jr, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Carnell Tate, Julian Fleming, Brandon Innis, and now Jeremiah Smith...

Compared to Brian Harltine at the time having literally developed nobody before signing a bunch of studs, Hankerson has coached Deebo Samuel, and Brandon Aiyuk to his best season of his career. At UMass he coached Andy Isabella to become a 2nd round pick and finished as a Biletnikoff finalsit and PFFs top rated CFB WR....

Ultimately if the offense itself is good And the coach can develop the players to be high draft picks, the recruiting will improve significantly regardless how good of a recruiter Hankerson is or isn't.
All time haul. Insanity.

Advertisement
No idea how this hire will turn out. Hopefully this guy has the goods.

That being said, can't wait to see the brilliant threads on here after the first questionably called game of the year. The play on the guy's first name being Shannon will make Dorito, Radio, and other CIS brilliance pale in comparison.

Is this thinking similar to how posters around here used to say it was Diaz calling the D when it played well and Baker when it didn't? Of course then Baker left and the D still stunk with Diaz doing the playcalling.
I don’t think so. More resembles what Michigan fans were saying about Gattis after he left, that he got stripped of much of the game planning and playcalling duties.

Whether it’s true or not is probably impossible to determine right now, but it sounds awfully familiar to me.

I do feel great that Mario is at least willing to go in a more modern direction with scheme.. assuming he gives Dawson the keys and doesn’t try to interfere.

At the very least, I think he will be a really good QB coach for us.

Advertisement
I don’t think we can just dismiss his struggle at Kentucky but he has more recent evidence to analyze him over. It also looks like he has upward trajectory that we’re now jumping on.

I’m cautiously optimistic. Air raid concepts with Mario/Maribal run principles seems like exactly what we would want. I think that takes a year to really implement and get the players for but starting now is great and I feel Van Dyke really bounces back this year if they can keep him on his feet.

Advertisement
Back