Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Advertisement
Your WR coach doesn’t need to be a smart mind. Save for the OC and maybe the OL.

If we can’t reach WRs the 5 plays that make up an Air Read, one of which is “everybody just run straight as far and fast you can,” something is seriously wrong.

WR coach needs to be a stud recruiter.

So I ask: has Hankerson every recruited?

You're making quite the effort to set your credibility on fire.

Yes. To be clear, I’m not jumping in this, I am merely answering the Maude questions. There were no Maude deleted posts of yours in that thread. They would’ve had to double delete and we just don’t do that. There was one deletion as posted and it was unrelated. Whether there’s another post referencing what’s claimed, I don’t know. I didn’t read your 64 posts in that thread or look in other threads for your posts.
I certainly respect your impartiality! One of the key attributes of a great Maude.

Btw, I’ll be over in 15 minutes, don’t forgot to let the Wellington rest before serving.

Thank god your not in charge of hiring our coaches.

If you like someone better ok fine I get it but to say "Why would anybody want Hankerson?"... thats just silly

All we’re hearing from insiders as to why there is a massive staff shakeup underway is because of a lack of recruiting.

Within that context: why would anybody want Hankerson?

All we’re hearing from insiders as to why there is a massive staff shakeup underway is because of a lack of recruiting.

Within that context: why would anybody want Hankerson?

That's simply not true, that "all we're hearing...as to why"...

There are multiple reasons. Multiple different reasons, depending on each coach.

Just go back to (poorly) analyzing statistics.

Advertisement
He's a 34 year old former NFL WR from South Florida who would be making a lateral move from the NFL to college, recruiting will be easy for him and he was a college WR coach before. Ohio State did a similar move with Brian Hartline except Hankerson has more experience

You think Hartline gets all the WRs because he coached in the NFL? Just stop. He gets them because he has a silver tongue and knows how to talk to recruits. Which is a skill that can’t be taught. We had an ex-NFL guy on staff that literally went to therapy to try to learn how to do it.

I gotcha. Do you want “AIR RAID!!! added? Here’s two…

View attachment 230116View attachment 230117
@DTP, this one too

AD813AE4-FC87-4724-90D7-8F7681977260.gif

No, I’m asking has he ever recruited?

I don’t want or need my WR coach to be Einstein. I want him to be Frank Sinatra.
I see what you’re saying as far as needing a recruiter. Someone who is willing too put up with the BS of the 12 month effort..but your Position coaches need to bright and able to teach as well..most coach who get to the NFL level definitely see it as a plus to not have to put up with recruiting and the College schedule

You think Hartline gets all the WRs because he coached in the NFL? Just stop. He gets them because he has a silver tongue and knows how to talk to recruits. Which is a skill that can’t be taught. We had an ex-NFL guy on staff that literally went to therapy to try to learn how to do it.
Mike Rumph was a NFL DB Coach before he got here.... Hankerson is a **** good coach, I'm sure he can recruit

Advertisement
I see what you’re saying as far as needing a recruiter. Someone who is willing too put up with the BS of the 12 month effort..but your Position coaches need to bright and able to teach as well..most coach who get to the NFL level definitely see it as a plus to not have to put up with recruiting and the College schedule

Exactly. Which is why hiring from the NFL for a college position coach isn’t always the best bet.

Because the number one requirement for a college RB coach or WR coach should be: can they talk that game and land you a bunch of 5* recruits? That’s not the number one requirement for the NFL.

So what you’re looking for is completely different.

That’s even more true in an era where college offenses are very simple. So the teaching aspect isn’t as demanding across all positions. Like in a pure Air Raid offense. There’s only so much value from having the best WR “coach” on staff.

I have a few close friends who are diehards. I warned them the day he signed in Pittsburgh.
The problem the Steelers had was improving at the end of the season which get Canada another year. What we don’t know yet is whether the team improved because of, or in spite of, Canada.

Mike Rumph was a NFL DB Coach before he got here.... Hankerson is a **** good coach, I'm sure he can recruit

But you have no idea if he can. You’re just hoping he can.

It’s odd for anybody to want that when the staff’s problem and reason for the massive layoffs is recruiting.

We should be trying to fix what actually needs fixing.

Advertisement
Advertisement
But you have no idea if he can. You’re just hoping he can.

It’s odd for anybody to want that when the staff’s problem and reason for the massive layoffs is recruiting.

We should be trying to fix what actually needs fixing.
He's going to be able to relate to the WRs because he had the exact same journey, WRs will be able to learn a lot from him and honestly it should be easy for him with his previous NFL and coaching experience. If Hankerson is willing to take a lateral job and come back to college then I'm sure he's fully prepared to recruit, the players loved him in SF as well. He was a college WR coach for 3 years, so he knows how to recruit. Kyle Shanahan hired him as a quality control coach from college and within 1 season promoted him to WR coach, so he's must of made a strong impact on the people around him.

Well, then there's the fact that it's OSU who recruits as well as anyone. Add to that, they produce talent at the position as good as anyone as well. They'll have no problem with whoever the next guy in line is, they're a machine. All he's gotta do is speak the truth about the program and the offense they've had for years.

Switch Hartline for any of our guys through the down years and I'd bet my kids life on most recruits picking OSU over us. We might get one here or there, but the talent would still be flowing OSU's way.

Advertisement
Back