Shane Beamer

Advertisement
"Ur wrong" isn't really the most sophisticated retort.
"Ur wrong"

Hammer Floor GIF by VPRO

You guys are exhausting with this. There is no need to compare anything, everyone gets so far some rabbit hole trying to prove a point, but what are you trying to prove?

You can believe it or not, I dont care. There are several things that go into why people do, or do not, show up.

Bottom line is that it is far more appealing, for whatever reason you think you can conjure up. I mean have fun with it for all I care.

But yes there are less things to do, and college football is more appealing in, and around, the towns these southern schools are located in.

Dude, I was referring to Wando, not you. I am 100% in agreement with you. I lived (unfortunately) in Columbia for longer than I cared for. I am with you.

Having lived in S. FL, most people I know couldn't give two ***** about the beach once they lived there awhile. Been there, done that, too hot, not worth the drive, let's all camp out in the AC, etc.

Front runner and fair weather fan base for certain. Not to mention the fanbase is also getting older due to us having sucked for so long. There were always fans of other schools, it's a melting pot, but last time I was there I saw 10x the amount of other schools fan gear on people compared to us. That was crazy to me, it was like where did all our Canes fans go? Bama **** in the 561, used to never see that crap.
What's crazy about it? Bama's been winning for almost 2 decades now and the Canes have not. Many fans, not just Cane fans, are front runners and bandwagon jumpers. The gear you see people wearing will change when the Canes start winning again (and/or Bama starts losing). For now, expect to see more UGA gear around town.

Seriously, if you are comparing Miami and Columbia/the surrounding backwoods areas, then there are no further responses necessary to you.

Comparing the areas? No. This shows that you don't understand the point. It's comparing the loyalty of fan bases. If there is just "so much to do" that Miami football is way down your list on a Saturday, you aren't a fan. And we have people thinking that way AND defending it.

Advertisement
Fair enough.

Personally, I have no problem making fun of anybody whether we’re doing well or we are not doing well.

We can split hairs about what care means, my point is that I don’t care how we do in respect to other teams - I will still mock them. But not everyone is like me and I don’t expect them to be.

At the same time there’s really no need to lecture me, about who I can make fun of or not make fun of because that’s why I’m here. I’m not saying that’s what you did, I’m just speaking in general. I love the canes, and I hate everybody else. I love watching football not just the canes, and I absolutely love all kinds of sports, but most of the time, if it’s not my team, I’m hate watching - that’s right, I’m a hater.
I just realized that the other games I gravitate to are because I hate watch. Lol Like I’m always watching UiF

Comparing the areas? No. This shows that you don't understand the point. It's comparing the loyalty of fan bases. If there is just "so much to do" that Miami football is way down your list on a Saturday, you aren't a fan. And we have people thinking that way AND defending it.

Tell me about it, imagine going to the Duke game after MTSU, and half drunk, taking a **** and asking yourself why am I even here? But you still come back for more.

I agree with your point that it’s more about devotion and “fanhood“ more than anything else. The other things may have some impact for the bandwagon fans and “only show up at events“ people, but it’s all about the base.

Advertisement
If we are being honest about fans and Miami, front-running fair weather bandwagoneers is a long-standing area tradition. This is nothing new. As a kid my father said it repeatedly as we sat in the Orange Bowl heat - specifically at Dolphins games: “This town only supports a winner.”

The people on this board good or bad aren’t the fair weather fans. The mentality in the area though is what it is.

If we are being honest about fans and Miami, front-running fair weather bandwagoneers is a long-standing area tradition. This is nothing new. As a kid my father said it repeatedly as we sat in the Orange Bowl heat - specifically at Dolphins games: “This town only supports a winner.”

The people on this board good or bad aren’t the fair weather fans. The mentality in the area though is what it is.

I would say that if not for “base“ fans, the fair-weather fans or event fans or only-when-they’re-winning fans, or whatever you might call them, would not have a team to even root for or complain about, at least not one at the P5 level.

College football is 100% about money nowadays, so if you don’t have a strong base you’re screwed. Fairweather fans add nothing to the mix, because they are notoriously unreliable when it comes to money.

I love the Canes, always have and always will. I do not come to South Florida for many games at all, but I attend as many games as I can within my schedule.

Also, when I think about what I would do on a Saturday in South Florida, and compare it to living near Columbia or Clemson for instance, YES there are far more things to do. If bought season tickets to see the Canes I am most likely going to damned near every game, but if we are sub par (as we have been) and there just so happens to be an event that I would much rather attend, then I am selling my tickets.

See, I value my time, and time is money. Attending games to watch us play like **** on a weekly basis, and go home ****ed off about it, is not really a display of valuing time, in my opinion.

I like to enjoy my Saturdays, when I am not working. I can invest into my team plenty and show my support, but I am not going to bang my head against the wall every weekend.

Now lets talk about Blacksburg, VA or Clemson, SC, since that was already brought up. The attendance for these teams, on a regular basis, is tremendous. That is because that IS the thing to do in these towns on a Saturday.

You want to know what is going on in Blacksburg this Saturday:
Exciting

How about Clemson, SC:
WOW
(maybe I can catch a basketball game, lol)

Now lets compare that to Miami, FL...
HMMM

That was just a quick Google search...but clearly South Florida provides so much more than Blacksburg, or Clemson, or Tuscaloosa, or Athens, or Knoxville...etc., etc. Theres nothing to defend, its just true, and you can call it loyalty if you want, doesnt matter. The point, is that YES, there are more things to do....especially if you value your time.

Advertisement
That was just a quick Google search...but clearly South Florida provides so much more than Blacksburg, or Clemson, or Tuscaloosa, or Athens, or Knoxville...etc., etc. Theres nothing to defend, its just true, and you can call it loyalty if you want, doesnt matter. The point, is that YES, there are more things to do....especially if you value your time.

No one questioned that there is actually more to do in south Florida. That's not the argument, even though you're taking a victory lap.

The point is that if you would rather go to Karaoke Saturday at Sweet Caroline on a Saturday than a Miami football game, then you don't actually care all that much about "your" team. And, by the way, 10 million people aren't filling up Kiki on the River and Saturdaze Brunch Party events. The people who claim to love the Hurricanes would fill Joe Robbie 10x over. But only about 35K actually make it out.

No one questioned that there is actually more to do in south Florida. That's not the argument, even though you're taking a victory lap.

The point is that if you would rather go to Karaoke Saturday at Sweet Caroline on a Saturday than a Miami football game, then you don't actually care all that much about "your" team. And, by the way, 10 million people aren't filling up Kiki on the River and Saturdaze Brunch Party events. The people who claim to love the Hurricanes would fill Joe Robbie 10x over. But only about 35K actually make it out.

Maybe next time, my friend....

fun i win GIF by The Original Donut Shop Coffee

Advertisement
10 million people within an hour of Hard Rock, but "Valentine's Berry Pop Tarts Class" is happening.

Those two late wins changed the narrative on the guy.

6-4 going into the Tennessee upset and then eked out the win over Clemson, before falling to Notre Dame in the bowl game.

A week before beating the Vols, they got smoked 38-6 by a bad Florida team and Georgia crushed them 48-7 earlier in the year—a week after getting rolled 44-30 by Arkansas.

This is a 2-4 football team by mid-October this year. Book it.

10 million people within an hour of Hard Rock, but "Valentine's Berry Pop Tarts Class" is happening.

Not to get in the middle of you too duking it out, but what’s the point here?

There’s really nothing new. Miami’s always had a small base of super loyal fans, and then there’s everybody else.

It’s just that our base is about 1/10 of the size of the super loyal bases of the state schools like Florida or Alabama.

Not to get in the middle of you too duking it out, but what’s the point here?

There’s really nothing new. Miami’s always had a small base of super loyal fans, and then there’s everybody else.

It’s just that our base is about 1/10 of the size of the super loyal bases of the state schools like Florida or Alabama.

It's the crapping on other fan bases because, well, they just don't have anything else to do, when we have the least loyal fan base of them all.

Advertisement
Back