Shallow Cross - Richt's MO at UGA/FSU

This game is on Richt and his gameplan vs Clem. He has to scheme so we dont get stuffed in the running game and behind the sticks. Richt's real MO is being unable to win the "big" game. He's the offensive guy. He better do something Clem isn't ready for. Also it is imperative that Rosier runs the ball. Do not sit in the pocket. Clem can be beat but they have to be outcoahced, cause Venebrles is sitting in the film room licking his chops. We must do something diff.

You mean big games like ND or VT? Or against 10 win WVU in bowl game?

Get outta here with the "can't win big games" bullsh!t.

Clemson is better than us. In all honesty, we have no business beating them. But rest assured if we lose, the "big games" football chicks will be out in full force.

Bahahahah. Calling a Russell Athletic bowl win vs WVU a big win. Got it. ND and VT were big wins yes. Although that was more to do with pure emotion and a huge home field advantage.
And how we lose IF we lose to Clemson will be the determining factor if the "big games" chicks as you put it will be out.

Advertisement
No idea why we don’t use it, especially with richards.

The first play in that video looked almost identical to AR’s TD against Duke.

It is the only time I recall seeing it this year. And I've watched and rewatched all of our games.

Maybe we see it more with Herndon out. Easy concept for Rosier and Richards is one of the best YAC guys we’ve ever had.

AR with that play reminds me of those drag routes we used to do with Andre Johnson. Not the same thing but it was a guaanteed 7-9 yards each time.

We'll see it more when Perry or Weldon win the job. I love the effort Rosier has given most of the year but I am certain that Richt doesn't use more shallow cross concepts because he doesn't trust Rosier's accuracy in the middle of the field.

This game is on Richt and his gameplan vs Clem. He has to scheme so we dont get stuffed in the running game and behind the sticks. Richt's real MO is being unable to win the "big" game. He's the offensive guy. He better do something Clem isn't ready for. Also it is imperative that Rosier runs the ball. Do not sit in the pocket. Clem can be beat but they have to be outcoahced, cause Venebrles is sitting in the film room licking his chops. We must do something diff.

Clemson is better than us. In all honesty, we have no business beating them. But rest assured if we lose, the "big games" football chicks will be out in full force.

Bahahahah. Calling a Russell Athletic bowl win vs WVU a big win. Got it. ND and VT were big wins yes. Although that was more to do with pure emotion and a huge home field advantage.
And how we lose IF we lose to Clemson will be the determining factor if the "big games" chicks as you put it will be out.

:rollseyes:

:rollseyes:

haha I know right.

Rosier is short and is inconsistent with both accuracy and misleading with his eyes and shoulders. This is why he's most comfortable lobbing bombs: the arc of the throw is more likely to go above the reach of DLs and a DB covering a receiver on a go route is less concerned about reading the eyes of the QB as much as staying on top of his receiver. This is also why Herndon was underutilized.

Advertisement
Rosier is short and is inconsistent with both accuracy and misleading with his eyes and shoulders. This is why he's most comfortable lobbing bombs: the arc of the throw is more likely to go above the reach of DLs and a DB covering a receiver on a go route is less concerned about reading the eyes of the QB as much as staying on top of his receiver. This is also why Herndon was underutilized.

Fair points - I'd have to watch last year's games to see if we did in fact run more drags/crosses w Kayaa.

Fair points - I'd have to watch last year's games to see if we did in fact run more drags/crosses w Kayaa.

We certainly had more, but also remember that was a brand new coach calling plays for the first time in years with a veteran QB who was in a different system since he was a freshman.

Point is: I think Richt plays to the strengths of his offense and specifically his QB. He certainly has things he likes to run but he's shown himself to be flexible.

The shallow cross is almost unstoppable and should be ran a lot. The Pats do it to perfection about 20 times a game. It should be a staple in our offense.

Hard to run a shallow cross when your QB has zero touch and doesn’t know how to lead a WR. You are just asking for a INT on that route because of his inaccuracy.

Advertisement

In the universe we are now leaving, Mark won several "big" game this year starting with fsu ending in ND which he won in Cane big win fashion. For the universe we want to go back too this is his first "big" game. Mark's done very well this year, but he needs to win not only thins game but the two after that to shake the "big games" knock.

The thing is this is not about Mark, it is about Hurricane football. Clemson is built to beat Bama. We need to be Canes. Our defense needs to set the tone of fierce "you are not getting out of here alive" aggression with frequent TO Chain appearances and maybe some points. The offense needs it big time players to make those big time plays: catch that behind you pass, find a way to get to that overthrow ball, drag the db over the goal line instead of leaving us in short yardage red zone plays, slip the tackle crossing over the middle and take it to the house instead of 5 yards. Mark has his part to play. He needs to not get out coached and make the adjustments required but most important he needs to have the team ready to play Hurricane football, not UGA or FSU football. Heck I don't know the difference in the technical ways some many here do, but I know Cane football when I see it. The ND game was it. Play that way and we win.

In the universe we are now leaving, Mark won several "big" game this year starting with fsu ending in ND which he won in Cane big win fashion. For the universe we want to go back too this is his first "big" game. Mark's done very well this year, but he needs to win not only thins game but the two after that to shake the "big games" knock.

The thing is this is not about Mark, it is about Hurricane football. Clemson is built to beat Bama. We need to be Canes. Our defense needs to set the tone of fierce "you are not getting out of here alive" aggression with frequent TO Chain appearances and maybe some points. The offense needs it big time players to make those big time plays: catch that behind you pass, find a way to get to that overthrow ball, drag the db over the goal line instead of leaving us in short yardage red zone plays, slip the tackle crossing over the middle and take it to the house instead of 5 yards. Mark has his part to play. He needs to not get out coached and make the adjustments required but most important he needs to have the team ready to play Hurricane football, not UGA or FSU football. Heck I don't know the difference in the technical ways some many here do, but I know Cane football when I see it. The ND game was it. Play that way and we win.

And if we lose to Clemson will you be crying, "Richt can't win the big game" ?

If you think we've arrived then so be it. I'm realistic enough to see that we aren't quite there yet.

Advertisement

If you think we've arrived then so be it. I'm realistic enough to see that we aren't quite there yet.

Heck, I was worried that JJ couldn't win the BIG GAME after losing NCs twice in a row with our best QB ever and best or second best team ever. Shula couldn't win the big game either, until he went Perfect that great year. I've said several time that uga might not be able to win the big game, but Miami is all about winning the big game. I firmly believe Mark will win "the big game" here -- our 6th NC and his first. Mark is good enough to get us more NCs and that is good enough for me. We are not about great coaching. It has always been about the Jimmies and the Joes.

Heck, I was worried that JJ couldn't win the BIG GAME after losing NCs twice in a row with our best QB ever and best or second best team ever. Shula couldn't win the big game either, until he went Perfect that great year. I've said several time that uga might not be able to win the big game, but Miami is all about winning the big game. I firmly believe Mark will win "the big game" here -- our 6th NC and his first. Mark is good enough to get us more NCs and that is good enough for me. We are not about great coaching. It has always been about the Jimmies and the Joes.

What are you talking about?

Mark is a great coach and we have been successful with great coaches. We are about great coaching.

Advertisement
I think we don't see it is because Malik's completion % is pathetic for most of the games. He's always had accuracy issues.

3 Reasons we don't use it.

1) Rosier's inaccuracy would contribute to more interceptions in the middle of the field
2) It is hard for shorter QB's to pass in the middle of the field and not get balls batted down, plus they don't see as well
3) Crosses are slow developing plays and Richt doesn't trust our OL to hold their blocks long enough

We don't use slants often enough for the same exact reasons.

Richt is handcuffed with Rosier, but regardless diversity in the offense is desperately needed to keep opposing defenses off balance. We are running the same plays over and over and over and it is too easy for opposing defenders to key on the very few plays we run. New plays should be introduced on a weekly bases vs every opponent, not just against the better opponents. Maybe Richt is only giving Rosier what he can execute though.

Still, even with the team playing flat vs Pitt, if Rosier hits on some passes he should have completed Miami easily wins the game.

Richt has had plenty of big-game wins in his career, including a few now with us.

The shallow cross thing is a fair criticism, though, because his offenses at FSU and UGA used to kill teams with them. I seem to remember his offenses (especially with Weinke at QB) just crossing the living **** out of us. I don't think it's the kind of thing that ever "goes out of style" - they are hard to defend. There has to be a reason in his mind why he's keeping them in the bag. Maybe it has to do with Rosier's propensity for getting passes batted down....maybe we haven't been able to execute them well enough in practice to the point where we feel they'd be wasted plays and/or INTs. It's frustrating for sure, but I think I have to give Richt the benefit of the doubt here. Would he really just forget a big part of what made his prior offenses great? Seems unlikely.

So essentially, Richt vs Clemson coaches?
Then there is reason for optimism Clemson vs. Georgia - Game Summary - August 30, 2014 - ESPN

Advertisement
Back