Shallow Cross - Richt's MO at UGA/FSU

iLoveTDs

Junior
Banned
Richt was known for his shallow cross passing concepts at FSU/UGA. How come we rarely, if ever, use shallow crossing routes?

It blows my mind that this isn't a staple of the Miami offense today.

[video=youtube_share;oB__HJX28v8]https://youtu.be/oB__HJX28v8[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
No idea why we don’t use it, especially with richards.

The first play in that video looked almost identical to AR’s TD against Duke.

It is the only time I recall seeing it this year. And I've watched and rewatched all of our games.

/worth noting that when we ran it against Duke, it was out of a timeout. Play might've been drawn up in anticipation of a zero blitz

Last edited:
I think Richt wants to do more but you have to play to your QB strengths, from what I seen only does like one read and sometimes two.His running got us to 10 wins not his passing.

It is the only time I recall seeing it this year. And I've watched and rewatched all of our games.

Maybe we see it more with Herndon out. Easy concept for Rosier and Richards is one of the best YAC guys we’ve ever had.

AR with that play reminds me of those drag routes we used to do with Andre Johnson. Not the same thing but it was a guaanteed 7-9 yards each time.

Advertisement

Maybe we see it more with Herndon out. Easy concept for Rosier and Richards is one of the best YAC guys we’ve ever had.

AR with that play reminds me of those aha drag routes we used to do with Andre Johnson. Not the same thing but it was a guaanteed 7-9 yards each time.

It is the same thing. Shallow cross/drag. We ran it last year some to a flexed out Njoku.

I like that route/concept for multiple reasons.

1) playmakers in space - YAC
2) almost impossible for CB to jam at LOS
3) acts as a hot route against the blitz (especially middle pressure)
4) even the poorest route runners can run the route

If there's 1 thing I wanna see Richt plug into the offense this off season it's that.
Send him my request please :)

Thomas and Richard would be lethal on the crossers. Just watching the video it seems so simple you can make the read yourself on the couch. Crosser to hitch to flat.

Don't follow X and O's closely enough... is it possible Richt feels as though coordinators got a beat on that play so he shelved it?

Easy answer = Qb are not his normal caliber, just the fact he's limited.

We’ve run stuff this year that is far more difficult than the shallow cross.

I hope Richt has been saving it for later in the season. We know it is in the playbook.

Advertisement
Thomas and Richard would be lethal on the crossers. Just watching the video it seems so simple you can make the read yourself on the couch. Crosser to hitch to flat.

Don't follow X and O's closely enough... is it possible Richt feels as though coordinators got a beat on that play so he shelved it?

You'll be hard pressed to find any spread passing attack not using different shallow cross concepts.

You can incorporate shallow cross/drag routes into any play/route tree.

[video=youtube_share;UTfSx0MxUsg]https://youtu.be/UTfSx0MxUsg[/video]

[video=youtube_share;xgJ53qJaZ2o]https://youtu.be/xgJ53qJaZ2o[/video]

[video=youtube_share;eSu5EGFT9MY]https://youtu.be/eSu5EGFT9MY[/video]

Last edited:
the majority of our routes are vertical, we do run the square in 10-15 yards but nothing that allows us to get rid of the ball quickly and let our athletes go heads up with their athletes. these drags would be great for Jeff Thomas to get him more touches and involved.

Advertisement
Here's the one time I remember seeing it all season (isn't to say there haven't been other times - just not enough to notice).

10:50 mark in video

[video=youtube_share;p-7wE9wS9d0]https://youtu.be/p-7wE9wS9d0[/video]

the majority of our routes are vertical, we do run the square in 10-15 yards but nothing that allows us to get rid of the ball quickly and let our athletes go heads up with their athletes. these drags would be great for Jeff Thomas to get him more touches and involved.

Agreed, Richards as well. Look at the Duke TD. There doesnt seem to be an abundance of easy throws that can lead to big plays underneath in this offense.

/worth noting that when we ran it against Duke, it was out of a timeout. Play might've been drawn up in anticipation of a zero blitz

We ran it and it got blown up

Advertisement

We ran it and it got blown up

Huh? 2 posts up I posted the video of when we ran it against Duke. It went for a 50 yd TD to Richards.

It was out of a timeout. Richt said on Hurricane Hotline that week that it had 2 options (the 1st option was in case Duke sent the house, which they did)

This game is on Richt and his gameplan vs Clem. He has to scheme so we dont get stuffed in the running game and behind the sticks. Richt's real MO is being unable to win the "big" game. He's the offensive guy. He better do something Clem isn't ready for. Also it is imperative that Rosier runs the ball. Do not sit in the pocket. Clem can be beat but they have to be outcoahced, cause Venebrles is sitting in the film room licking his chops. We must do something diff.

This game is on Richt and his gameplan vs Clem. He has to scheme so we dont get stuffed in the running game and behind the sticks. Richt's real MO is being unable to win the "big" game. He's the offensive guy. He better do something Clem isn't ready for. Also it is imperative that Rosier runs the ball. Do not sit in the pocket. Clem can be beat but they have to be outcoahced, cause Venebrles is sitting in the film room licking his chops. We must do something diff.

You mean big games like ND or VT? Or against 10 win WVU in bowl game?

Get outta here with the "can't win big games" bullsh!t.

Clemson is better than us. In all honesty, we have no business beating them. But rest assured if we lose, the "big games" football chicks will be out in full force.

Last edited:

So dumb. Richt has won a ton of big games in his career.

Advertisement
Back